Skip to content

Ipad out of memory for update?!?!

I have an iPad2...I have already installed the game. Now I am trying to install the update and it tells me that there is not enough memory to install. I have 3.5 gb available - is the update really over 3.5gb? That seems highly unlikely. Any way around this? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• SkyPigletSkyPiglet Member Posts: 10
    You could try syncing by cable through iTunes. That way your device does not have to store the initial downloaded file on itself. It will be on your computer instead.
  • FrebuFrebu Member Posts: 14

br0fin Rumor has it if you download through iTunes you only need the space for the app. If you download to the iPad direct it takes double

— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) January 24, 2013
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    To everyone about the download, the iOS app store doesn't support selective patching at this time - it's an all-or-nothing affair. With regards to space requirements, I posted this on reddit in response to someone but will re-post it here:

The reason for this is that the app is compressed via the app store - so when you download an app, it's one .ipa file, which then decompresses into the app you want and the .ipa is deleted (so, in general, this takes approximately twice the amount of space for one download).
    Most people get around this problem by downloading the update via iTunes on the computer the device is sync'd to, then directly syncing the apps.
  • ThainEshKelchThainEshKelch Member Posts: 1
    Downloads from the App store is compressed, so you need space for the download and the uncompressed app during the update. So for a 2GB app you need 4GB, but will of course recover all of it, if merely updating. I had 3,7GB available without being able to get it, so BG must be almost 2GB which is the app store limit.

I just deleted BG and redownloaded it. Took the same time.
  • nightofgrimnightofgrim Member Posts: 7
    1. Delete the app first
    2. Download app again

iOS keeps the old version on until the new one is fully installed incase the install fails. So you need that much space free to update it. Removing it will free up the space the game is using.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    You're MUCH better doing what Nathan posted above and downloading the app through your iTunes and then syncing it if you don't have the space on the iPad to do it directly. Doing the "delete" and "download" might have unintended consequences (I don't know if saved games or DLC would stay around, I assume they would, but I don't know).
  • SkyPigletSkyPiglet Member Posts: 10
    Illydth said:

You're MUCH better doing what Nathan posted above and downloading the app through your iTunes and then syncing it if you don't have the space on the iPad to do it directly. Doing the "delete" and "download" might have unintended consequences (I don't know if saved games or DLC would stay around, I assume they would, but I don't know).

Since the app does not have iCloud support, all save data would be lost if you deleted it.

Yeah, iOS really needs to do something about that.