Skip to content

Do not reduce Speed Factor by magic weapons.

Hello.

As far as know the enhancement bonus of magic weapons (e.g., +1, +2, ...etc) affects not only THAC0 and damage but also Speed Factor.

I actually don't like this because this makes Speed Factor less attractive and less ponderable thing while choosing weapons.

Dagger has to have the lowest Speed Factor, i.e., the fastest weapon, as the trade-off of its the lowest damage, and so on.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Bhaaldog said:

Technically I think daggers are still the fastest weapon however that speed advantage erodes over the course of the trilogy.

It actually almost errodes by the end of BG1. Let's take a fighter wielding a 2H sword, with a default speed factor of 10. If he gets 4 pips in 2H swords, 2 pips in 2H weapon style, and is wielding the 2H sword +3, he's already down to a speed factor of 2. If you use the dual-class trick to get GM in 2H swords, you've got a speed factor of 0.

This is all assuming that you can't go into the negatives with speed factor, or there's no benefit in doing so.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Enhancement bonus applying to weapon speed is actually correct for PnP, I see no reason to change to it.
  • Jodien37Jodien37 Member Posts: 17
    Weapons can never have speed factors below 1. (AD&D 2nd edition rules.) Speed factor 1 is easily achieved by having a mere Dagger +1. You have to spend lots of points to proficiency and fighting style and own a magical weapon in order to be that fast with a bigger weapon. So there is not a problem here.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    After doing some double checking, BG is actually implemented correctly. It says a weapon or cast speed cannot go below 0, not that it can't be 0.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on