Skip to content

Take SOME Elements from Dark Alliance

Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
Now I know that the "HARDCORE" fans are going to go and say: Blasphemy! I want nothing to do with that piece of shit called Dark Alliance! Die Herve Caen Die!

But Dark Alliance was a good game for what it was, a hack and slash PS2 game set in the DnD world. And I loved it as a game. I personally think that there are some elements from it that this new game needs, not many characters need to be used, but read on to understand me more. Also, to add, I didn't play the original Baldur's Gate, I plan on when I get my new PC, but until then, understand that most of my knowledge comes through the various walkthrough and playthrough videos on YouTube and Vimeo.

Oh, and first post by the way:

Characters:

Lady Alyth Elandara - I'm not sure if she was in the original Baldur's Gate, since I only played Throne of Bhaal, and that too for a short time, but adding her and her backstory would be a nice little gem in the game.
Eathon - If I remember he was a patron at the Elfsong Tavern, adding him as a guy that gives some knowledge about the tavern would be nice.
Bartley - Once again, this would just be nice, and a guy to purchase weapons from the Sunset Mountains would make the game a bit more world weary.
Harpers - Make the presence of the Harpers a bit more well known, from what I've seen in videos

And I know some of the contractual limitations built upon characters, but since these characters themselves are not that well known, are characters of the same franchise and most importantly, they are essentially new characters like Neera and I doubt there are any limitations on them anymore since WoTC and Atari have probably forgotten about them since 2004.

Music:

Yes, the Elfsong Trend continues. While Sam Hulick is a wonderful composer, for the Elfsong Tavern, it wouldn't hurt to make the music sound a little bit akin to Jeremy Soule's Elfsong. That was a beautifully orchestrated song and while I believe that none can come close to it, I still think that as a nice little nod to yes, he did a fantastic job, from Sam would go a long way.

Weapons:

A lot of the weapons in Dark Alliance that weren't in Baldur's Gate (I doubt it though), should be welcome in the game.

The main thing I want, though, is simply the music, everything else is just not needed. If Sam Hulick can make the music for the Elfsong sound remotely like how Soule did, I will be very happy, and I'm sure a lot of people who wanted Dark Alliance 3 will be too.

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    The only thing I want to take from the Dark Alliance is the correct usage and power of Drizzt's Icingdeath sword, which would be awesome with a chance to freeze and enemy.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Another thing they could add is an emphasis on the city just like the console as a main quest hub, gathering information about quests/enemies, rumors, even having the various factions play more of a role.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Beyond the scope of the alterations they're contractually allowed to make, unfortunately. This could be covered by a third party mod, though.
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    I released "Jarl's BGT Adventure Pack" a few weeks ago, which gives some new content for the Elfsong Tavern, including a mini-quest about the ghostly song, for that i used the song from DA ;)

However it's only in german at the moment. An english translations may be added after i will have reworked this mod for BGEE.

http://kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu/showthread.php?t=42222
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    @Jarl, we might learn Goethe's language as well, after all, my English comes from Cartoon Network in the 90s.
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    Aranneas said:

Beyond the scope of the alterations they're contractually allowed to make, unfortunately. This could be covered by a third party mod, though.

Everything but Sam Hulick adding music akin to Jeremy Soule's.

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Gotta agree that the elfsong music was amazing :) can't say that I agree with adding any cameos from Dark Alliance tho... it's somewhat backwards dontcha think? Like re-writing an old Mozart masterpiece to cater to a newer composer that isn't even in the same genre.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Harpers are in the game. Don't forget Jaheira and Khalid are Harpers. Also, in the Realms, the Harpers were/are a fairly secretive and unknown group, which was part of their M.O. Unlike the Zhentarim or Red Wizards of Thay, not many people knew about them- or should have. It was supposed to be their mandate to work behind the scenes to influence monarchs and nobles to be good and do things to help stuff along.
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    @Zafiro: My english was very bad in school and it still isn't good at all, but the most i learned was by reading the forums of english speaking IE-community (Spellhold Studios, Gibberlings Three, Pocketplane Group and so on) over the last years :)
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    LadyRhian said:

Harpers are in the game. Don't forget Jaheira and Khalid are Harpers. Also, in the Realms, the Harpers were/are a fairly secretive and unknown group, which was part of their M.O. Unlike the Zhentarim or Red Wizards of Thay, not many people knew about them- or should have. It was supposed to be their mandate to work behind the scenes to influence monarchs and nobles to be good and do things to help stuff along.

They might be Harpers, but the influence that the Harpers had overall in the game like they did in Dark Alliance was minimal.

If anything, what WE NEED is some form of Jeremy Soule's Elfsong in a way remastered by Sam Hulick in the game. After all, since Wizards of the Coast has the rights to song, not Interplay, WE NEED IT! It is honestly one of the Best Pieces of Music to have entered ANY Forgotten Realms piece of work. Pool that Radiance.

- Best in the World