Skip to content

Cloak of Balduran in BG2:EE.

DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
As we know, guys from Overhaul imported some BG2 items into BG:EE (for example: Elven chain mail, gloves of missile snaring and etc.).
Why not import (in the future) the Cloak of Balduran into BG2:EE? Hide it somewhere or equip on an NPC or simple add to a merchant for a nice price (10k gp). Or make it possible to import this item via BG:EE finalsavegame, like the Helmet.
While playing BG2 gold edition (or collectors edition) I always thought about a complete Balduran set (with the cloak).
What do you think, should be the Cloak of Balduran be availible in the future BG2:EE game or not?
  1. Cloak of Balduran in BG2:EE.133 votes
    1. Yes. The Cloak should be availible in BG2:EE.
      81.20%
    2. No. The Cloak should not be availible in BG2:EE.
        3.76%
    3. What's a Cloak of Balduran?
        4.51%
    4. Add a Barbarian NPC!
      10.53%

Comments

• StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    I always use the pause trick at the beginning of the game to drop it since you can't get it anyway else. and i earned it.
    More items that you have on your character(s) should import over and be placed in Irenicus's dungeon IMO.
    BUT, Not all of them clearly. Especially not items you can obtain later and are used to create powerful weapons and such (i.e. gauntlets of ogre power)
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    25% magic resistance is too good. No.

At the very least the magic resistance should be changed to set instead of increase. So with cloak you can have maximum of 25% magic resistance and no more.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Maybe place the Cloak somewhere in the Middle or Ending of SOA?
    It sounds fair.
    Just like the guys from Overhaul did with the Elven Chain Aramor. Only availible after cha5.
    Why not to do them a same thing with a beloved item in BG2:EE.

The Balduran Coak is not so really overpowered. There are much more OP items in the game.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    grab that cloak YES
    At the begining of BG2 in Club Irenicus
    Imoen said that all there best stuff was prfobably sold
    well to who and where
    create a NPC merchant that all or some of the CHARMANE protagnist stuff was sold too
    edited January 2013

grab that cloak YES
    At the begining of BG2 in Club Irenicus
    Imoen said that all there best stuff was prfobably sold
    well to who and where
    create a NPC merchant that all or some of the CHARMANE protagnist stuff was sold too

Or somone who has bought it.
    A NPC outside the dungeon. Put it on him.
    I'll cut him out with his entire family for the MY cloak :-)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I hope they keep the pause trick!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    rumor has it that if you import a game with a chracter holding the cloak of balduran, ( they cant also be holding the helm of balduran/ claw of kazgaroth/ Koveras' ring of protection and such) it will be in the bookcase were the helm is supposed to be in irenicus' dungeon
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    sarevok57 said:

rumor has it that if you import a game with a chracter holding the cloak of balduran, ( they cant also be holding the helm of balduran/ claw of kazgaroth/ Koveras' ring of protection and such) it will be in the bookcase were the helm is supposed to be in irenicus' dungeon

No.

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @StrayedMonkey

I always use the pause trick at the beginning of the game to drop it since you can't get it anyway else. and i earned it.

What?
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    I'm fine with the old list: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

Helm of Balduran and Claw of Kazgaroth are great (hard choice). Armors are good enough for the beginning.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    My Bard has the claw as a signature item. I always imagine her plucking her harp with it.

As a random question, do you picture the claw like the bone-claw of the icon or the more fleshed/complete claw (more like a hand) of the artwork when you view it.
    moopy said:

@StrayedMonkey

What?
    When you start a new game in BG2 you can pause the game while the screen is black before you hear your player. When the screen is paused you can drop every single item you have previously exported. By dropping the items the game cannot take them from you. simply pick them back up when the game starts
    Flashburn said:

I hope they keep the pause trick!

Me too. but there is always a way around it without cheating. Create a multiplayer game with only your exported character from BG1. Once you regain control of character save the game and then delete and re import. you will have all of your items that way as well. and then you can re-save the game and then drag the multiplayer saved game into the single player saved game and continue the game that way
    @StrayedMonkey

That's hilarious.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    @StrayedMonkey - I used to do that to get the cool items from ToB Premade characters ages ago. So hilarious being able to give the 20K straight away.

On topic, I have no opinion so I voted for the most sensible choice.
    edited January 2013
    Mathmick said:

On topic, I have no opinion so I voted for the most sensible choice.

:-)

Yeah, we know all this cheating with the pause and the multiplayer or editing with SK. But it would be much more fun and interesting if the cloak actually appears in the game legally (surprize!!!) like some other weapons and stuff from the BG1 game.
    Maybe @CamDawg could lobby this "Cloak-subject" to appear in BG2:EE game :-)
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2013
    I always use the pause exploit to keep that cloak in BG2, because it's just too awesome to let go.

Beamdog should make a quest for this cloak to make it more interesting and challenging, something along the lines of that Limited Wish quest where you search for the elusive gong.
    For example, Irenicus's minions sell your BG1 stuff to Ribald, he then sells it to someone else, a powerful Cowled wizard maybe. The wizard then sends you on some insidious errands, which you need to complete in order to earn your cloak back. Or you can try to kill the wizard in a tough battle.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    It would be nice to have the whole set in BG2.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    The barbarian npc should be wearing the cloak of balduran when you recruit him. Actually the barbarian should actually BE Balduran lol!
    How would this item not be overpowered? There are no better cloaks in BG2 aside from Cloak of Mirroring which is completely broken. Sure there are more powerful items, but you don't pick one item and use that. You use all items possible and since there are no better cloaks, this directly affects how insanely overpowered you get.

I understand that BG2 isn't that well balanced, but is that an excuse to break the balance even further?

Use mods if you guys want to make game even easier or use the easy difficulty. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    @Bercon How will your game be ruined? I'd agree with what you said about setting MR to 25% instead of it making it stackable though.
    edited January 2013
    Bercon said:

How would this item not be overpowered? There are no better cloaks in BG2 aside from Cloak of Mirroring which is completely broken. Sure there are more powerful items, but you don't pick one item and use that. You use all items possible and since there are no better cloaks, this directly affects how insanely overpowered you get.

I understand that BG2 isn't that well balanced, but is that an excuse to break the balance even further?

Use mods if you guys want to make game even easier or use the easy difficulty. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us.

Oh, please. It's not more powerful than what is sold by Deidre in Ribald's shop (actually Ribald has some nice trinkets as well), which is totally legit. So why not throw in the cloak as well, at least to make a full armor set?
    And BG2 along with ToB has an excessive amount of OP stuff, one more item wouldn't hurt the non existing balance anyway.

I'm pretty sure Deidre or Ribald don't sell anything with 25% magic resistance
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    It wasn't in the standard BG2 and I see no compelling reason to add it to BG2EE. The only reason people seem to want it is that it's the most powerful cloak in the BG series, but that's not a good reason to make changes to BG2.

If people want it in their own game then its very easy to add it in, either via console or a mod.
    Aramintai said:

Oh, please. It's not more powerful than what is sold by Deidre in Ribald's shop (actually Ribald has some nice trinkets as well), which is totally legit. So why not throw in the cloak as well, at least to make a full armor set?
    And BG2 along with ToB has an excessive amount of OP stuff, one more item wouldn't hurt the non existing balance anyway.

You did not read anything I said, did you?

Magic resistance is one of the most powerful stats in the game, because it negates absolutely everything except physical damage. Alone 25% doesn't break the game, but together with other items it makes it far far too easy. Say Viconia for example 65% (natural) + 25% (cloak) + 10% (ring) = 100% and you've got yourself an NPC that can kill all liches and mages with eyes closed. No other item increases your magic resistance more than 20%. The sword sets it at 50% so its quite different.

And non existing balance? As I said, the balance is bad, but there is some balance. You don't start with lvl 40 characters, you don't kill everything with one hit. Further eroding that balance serves no purpose and just makes the game worse.

Why make the game worse? What is the point of adding "non fun" item that is purely better stats than the rest of the items into the game? It adds no other function than making the game too easy.
    edited January 2013
    Well, no one complains about the cloak being in BG1, where it certainly is is one of the most powerful items in the game. But in BG2, where there are even more potent items like this (Carsomyr, Ring of Gaxx etc.), and potions and scrolls of Magic Resistance being sold and found in quite a good number, it suddenly becomes too good to be in the game? Really, only "cheese" fighters would complain if it were to be included.
    P.S. And Deidre does sell more OP stuff than the cloak - who cares about the 25% magic resistance when you have the Robe of Vecna. Or a shield that deflects beholder rays (which, btw, is a total legit "cheese" that I never touch).

Aramintai said:

who care about the 25% magic resistance when you have the Robe of Vecna.

Me.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited January 2013
    The thing people seem to be forgetting is that it isn't just the most powerful cloak in the Baldur's Gate series, it's the most stylish cloak in the Baldur's Gate series. If we don't get an awesome looking cloak with a popped collar and inherent 25% magic resistance, there's no hope of being voted best looking Bhaalspawn.
    Pantalion said:

The thing people seem to be forgetting is that it isn't just the most powerful cloak in the Baldur's Gate series, it's the most stylish cloak in the Baldur's Gate series. If we don't get an awesome looking cloak with a popped collar and inherent 25% magic resistance, there's no hope of being voted best looking Bhaalspawn.

Yea, that too. Nay sayers would have their Bhaalspawn running in rags just to make the game more tough for themselves *grumbles*.