Skip to content

Jon Icarus

Centeol still says that the man who scorned her was Jon Icarus, but I thought it was supposed to be Jon Irenicus and they just didn't have his name set when they were making the first "Baldur's Gate", and I would like to see this admittedly minor and possibly even irrelevant thing fixed in a patch.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    "But I only had eyes for one man, Jon Icarus. He was a great and powerful wizard, the only man worthy of my affections, or so I thought. Though I lusted for Jon, he cared little for me, for he had another to whom he was married, lady Tanova."

But Tanova is one of Bodhi's servants right? So I don't really think this is reliable information. I mean they didn't have all the finer points figured out yet for the sequel I would imagine and so this is just information that was retconned in the sequel I guess.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    No Way! That really annoyed me in TuTu, it's Icarus in Baldur's gate. I really liked the extremely mild uncertainty that having a slightly different name aroused.
  • MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
    I suppose I could just treat it as either a different person or, if I was dead-set on having allusions to later games in my "Baldur's Gate", assume that Irenicus was traveling through the Sword Coast under an assumed name.
    I just don't see that a differently spelled name as some kind of subterfuge. This isn't a world of birth certificates and bank accounts where that kind of information is seen as set in stone.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    It looks as if this may be getting "fixed". I'm not sure it needs to be.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11164/wrong-lore-spoken-from-the-fat-spider-lady-in-cloak-wood#latest
  • keltarkingkeltarking Member Posts: 53
    I've been seeing this term all over this site and it's driving me nuts. What the hell does TuTu mean?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

I've been seeing this term all over this site and it's driving me nuts. What the hell does TuTu mean?

It's a mod project that, if I recall correctly, allowed you to play BG1 with BG2 rules. So, you could play with all the new kits and races starting in Candlekeep rather than being forced to start your new character in BG2.

But hell if I know what "tutu" actually means.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    I always thought it meant "to two" as in BG1 to [BG]2. BG1 TuTu is the full name.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Not necessarily. Irenicus has over the years tried a number of experiments to instill emotion back in himself. He also has a habit of doing experiments to people.

It's possible he married Tanova, a local noble briefly to use her Estate as a base while he was in the area seeking a suitable Bhaal Spawn for his research (he was originally coming for Sarevok but once you showed up on the scene, he decided to let things play out and capture whichever was the stronger Bhaalspawn), and also had Centeol as a mistress (since his Dryads were down in his lair in Athkatla), but tired of Centeol's advances and turned her into that thing. And once he captured you, he gave Tanova to Bodhi to play with.

The above is conjecture, but does neatly explain things, and is highly possible. Technically, even him using Icarius wouldn't be technically wrong, since it could just be a disguise (not that Irenicus would stand out any worse, unless he's got a Rap-sheet by that name), since he'd obviously be employing some illusions of some sort for such a courting in the first place (His casual attire would only really fit in amongst worshipers of Lovitar, who I don't recall having a large following in BG).
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    Jon Irenicus is a sly dog and pillow talked her with a fake name so she coudn't find him after a one night stand :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I always interpreted that as Irenicus using multiple names when working on his evil plans...
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    fix it fix it FIX IT
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I asked her why she was so fat.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    Meekrat said:

I suppose I could just treat it as either a different person or, if I was dead-set on having allusions to later games in my "Baldur's Gate", assume that Irenicus was traveling through the Sword Coast under an assumed name.

I suddenly have this image of Jon walking the realms David Banner style, always using his first name with a different last name beginning with the letter I. Just don't get Jon angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry ;)

I can't buy the false-name argument as it is even less subtle than Koveras.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    After Koveras the false name argument seems very plausible to me :)