Skip to content

Unplayable multiplayer on more than 2 players

Well, this is the deal:
We were playing baldurs all fine, being only 2 players. When we decided to add one more guy to the party, the game started glitching and crashing in differents ways.
In example: The game... doesn't crash, but stop working when we enter any level of the Nashkel mines, but only for the clients.
There are several random crashes for any of us, and hard to state why.
In additional info; we were using Tunngle to avoid opening the ports (hard to deal with the router/modem) and it was doing the job.

Is this normal? Suggestions?

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    There have been known issues with playing 3 players or more.

Make sure everyone is on patch 2012 as there have been some MP crash fixes put in.
  • icelandiaicelandia Member Posts: 16
    Will do that ASAP (which is, most likely, tomorrow).
    I'll be here for the rest of the night, any way.
    We played for a while with 3 players. It was (for the short time we tested) all good. But the 4+ players seems a no-go. It always disconnect randomly a guy after the lobby.
    We managed to play it 4 players by Tunngle for a while, but it is just too unstable to be actually playable. There was a big odd of encountering an issue after each load.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Are you guys using the steam version? Can you all double-check the software version number in the top right corner of the screen - should be something like 1.0.20??
    Steam version. Latest one; the 2012. Are we running an old version?
    For a while Steam users were using the 1.0.2010 build. Did you get an update in the last day or two? I'm confused because the multiplayer issues you are seeing were addressed in 2011 and 2012. (those are build numbers, not years)

Is it possible this is due to connection problems? Can you play other games without trouble?
    edited January 2013
    We didn't check when we recieved the update, but the 1.0.2012 it is.
    We are able to play almost any game online with programs like Hamachi or Tunngle, without mayor issues.

EDIT: It seems we updated yesterday/2 days ago from the 2011. Yet, the issues remain.
    Post edited by icelandia on
  • treemonkeystreemonkeys Member Posts: 7
    Icelandia are you on steam? 2012 version is out on steam?
    Again; Steam version, currently running the 2012.
    Okay - next time you play, can you make note of what was happening just prior to your disconnect? e.g. moving between areas, resting, during a battle, etc. Also let us know what specifically happened on each end of the connection: what messages appear in the character arbitration screen? Can both players still interact with the game? Did one of the games crash? etc.

The more info you can give, the easier it will be to solve the problem.

Thanks!
  • glosoliglosoli Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    icelandia said:

Again; Steam version, currently running the 2012.

Steam version is not the latest. Patch is on Steam (you can see from game->properties->Betas) but hasn't been released for Steam users yet.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    Sorry I dissapeared.
    We gave up and finished the game 2-players.

You may close the thread now, because these will be my last words 'till baldurs gate 2:

The issues can be resumed into random crashes and disconnection between load screens. This includes host-load and mayor-minor area changing. The game crashed randomly, but I managed to realized it crashed mostly when checking other players character sheet.

Thats all I can gather. Farewell.