Skip to content

Is The Witcher 2 the best mature modern RPG ?

VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
I think it is.
Post edited by VittordeVitto on

Comments

• griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    And I think this is the wrong section for this discussion! Sorry friend! :D
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    I know, it was an acident

Can someone move it please?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @VittordeVitto If you edit your initial post (the little gear button in the top right corner of the post), you should be able to move it yourself.

With regards to the topic, I actually haven't played either of the witcher games, but I would really like to. I'm hoping to get a new computer in the next year or 2, and hopefully I'll be able to play them then (my laptop is kind of old, and wasn't really a gaming rig to begin with). I kind of wish they'd release it on PS3, but it looks like that's not going to happen.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    I think it is the only mature RPG nowadays...
    VittordeVittoTeflon
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    I haven't played it so couldn't tell, but I hope for a PS3 release too since I'm not gonna buy a new PC anytime soon and the old one is... well too old.
    TJ_Hooker
    Mathuzzz said:

There is that " about orcs and humans" one. Its decent.

Too bad u guys could not play it, its awesome.

• LoneWolfDonLoneWolfDon Member Posts: 25
    I enjoyed The Witcher games.

Another RPG style game I enjoyed and had some mature themes was Dragon Age Origins.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Depends on your definitions of "RPG". And "Mature", while you're at it.

If "Mature" means involving sex, then sure, Witcher 2 is probably the best of the bunch. If it simply means "not kid friendly", I might put forth Dark Souls as a superior game. Assuming, of course, that you consider Dark Souls to be an RPG.
  • LoneWolfDonLoneWolfDon Member Posts: 25
    I think one of the most psychologically "disturbing" games I've played (though it's not really so much a RPG, but might be classed as a "Survival Horror" game, is Amnesia: The Dark Decent. No sex scenes, but mature content throughout otherwise (definitely not for kids).
    TJ_Hooker
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Madhax said:

Depends on your definitions of "RPG". And "Mature", while you're at it.

If "Mature" means involving sex, then sure, Witcher 2 is probably the best of the bunch. If it simply means "not kid friendly", I might put forth Dark Souls as a superior game. Assuming, of course, that you consider Dark Souls to be an RPG.

I agree. The Witcher's sex scenes kinda put me off. Sex doesn't necessarily mean the game is 'mature' in any way. Also, the way most women are portrayed is...questionable. No, I agree with @LoneWolfDon when it comes to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Its story was definitely mature and the psychological element of fear and paranoia only added to it. Definitely worth a try.
    TeflonChow
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I think one of the most psychologically "disturbing" games I've played (though it's not really so much a RPG, but might be classed as a "Survival Horror" game, is Amnesia: The Dark Decent. No sex scenes, but mature content throughout otherwise (definitely not for kids).

Huh, I remember hearing about that game, and thinking it looked pretty awesome, but I forgot all about. Thanks for reminding me about it, I just downloaded the demo, looking forward to trying it out.
    VittordeVitto
  • BlakeDrapetaBlakeDrapeta Member Posts: 21
    Absolutely. I've only played The Witcher 2, but it was amazing. The voice acting, dialogue, cut scenes and combat are all very well done. The game is a lot more fun on dark mode as well, although I didn't really like the dark haze that covers the screen when you use the cursed weapons.
    VittordeVitto
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    Well, if you like exceedingly clunky combat that doesn't know if wants to be RPG-like or Action-like, if you like QTEs that result in instant game-over if you fail, if you enjoy poorly-designed inventory and map systems, if you like a game that uses story and cinematics as a crutch, if you like a protagonist who exemplifies the word "generic," if you like a tired, hackneyed grimdark fantasy setting that wallows in its own wretchedness and has nothing to say beyond "Humans = Garbage," if you think that copious amounts of sex and profanity make something "mature," then yes, you'll probably think The Witcher 2 is the greatest game ever made!
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I somewhat like the game.

Probably my favorite RPG of this age would be Skyrim. I don't like it's skill system though. Some of the skill tress are so weak as to never want to use them at all.

With regards to the Witcher I like the way sexual situations are depicted in the game. Yeah it's not exactly mature, but I think it's a lot more fun to watch then what you get in most games. Mass Effect and Dragon Age games Sexual scenes and relationships make me want to skip them generally. I'd rather they just not have them at all. I'll admit that the Witcher seems mostly aimed at heterosexual males. I can see how some of the content could offend some people, but I generally find the world very realistic compared to what you see in most games and movies. What you see nowadays isn't really true to life. It's more like a fantasy perfect world in most situations.
    @UnknownQuantity: Concerning Mass Effect and Dragon Age, well, that's what you get when you try to aim for such a broad audience that you just lose sight of your audience alltogether. You gotta take into account both kiddies and adults playing your game, so how do you depict sex and relationships then, eh? The thing is that there was a controversy about Mass Effect 1's sex scenes, if I'm not mistaken, and ever since then Bioware has been struggling with a good portrayal of love scenes. And of course, most of the best scenes are eserved for writer pet and franchise whore Liara. Sorry to all the Liara fans out there, but I think she's overrated and overused in the Mass Effect series at the cost of other characters having been shafted at a moment's notice. Meh, Bioware/EA is messing itself up anyway. Fifth(!) DLC for Mass Effect is on the way. I think it's just another piece cut out of the main game. Sorry, just needed to rant a bit as ex-Bioware fan.
    Vnavekul
    *reserved (yes I know there's an edit button, but I'm on my phone and thus cannot edit my posts)
    edited January 2013
    Dr_Atomic said:

Well, if you like exceedingly clunky combat that doesn't know if wants to be RPG-like or Action-like, if you like QTEs that result in instant game-over if you fail, if you enjoy poorly-designed inventory and map systems, if you like a game that uses story and cinematics as a crutch, if you like a protagonist who exemplifies the word "generic," if you like a tired, hackneyed grimdark fantasy setting that wallows in its own wretchedness and has nothing to say beyond "Humans = Garbage," if you think that copious amounts of sex and profanity make something "mature," then yes, you'll probably think The Witcher 2 is the greatest game ever made!

I think a game that tries to show humans like they really are is mature.
    There are drugs, prejudice, sex, prostitutes, drinking, fist fightinh in the pub ... Etc

You can find all that in the underworld of civilization in ANY age .

The combat uses action RPG"s elements and is really unforgiving . The witcher is not a superhero with outstanding powers, he has only his swords and some trinket spells.

That makes strategic use of the battlefild very crucial.

And i LOVE when my choices result in death. For example: you are ambushed by 30 VERY angry elves, you insult their leader... YeS YOU DIE!

And i love the cinematics, they keep the game mood and give a sense of progression.
    Dr_Atomic said:

I don´t think Witcher protagonist is generic. Fantasy RPG generic protagonist is more likely some kind of holy, good knight/warrior, saving everybody from the bad guys, while in Witcher, protagonist caused massacres, uses dark magic and is womanizer, he is not evil, but certainly not good. Also, I never really paid attention to all those sex scenes. Witcher was mostly mature because of language, dialogues, story and presence of all real life problems like racism, rape, corruption and politic intrigues...

Mathuzzz said:

Yeah I heard about that one, but haven´t looked further-I don´t usually pay attention when I see the game is multi-platform, especially when I see PS/XBOX/PC combo.

Is it any good?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    People who aren't looking past sex in Witcher series are just plain stupid. Without single exception. Sorry for the harsh words, but there is much more to this game and nothing is justifying ignorance.

@Mathuzzz
    He is neither evil nor good. Geralt is protagonist without typically noble traits that heroes posses (there are some expceptions to this in novels), so you can consider him anti-hero. Simple as that.
    Drugar
    Mathuzzz said:

Mathuzzz said:

Yeah I heard about that one, but haven´t looked further-I don´t usually pay attention when I see the game is multi-platform, especially when I see PS/XBOX/PC combo.

Is it any good?
    It is decent, plain and simple.

Totally deserves to be played IMO

People who aren't looking past sex in Witcher series are just plain stupid. Without single exception. Sorry for the harsh words, but there is much more to this game and nothing is justifying ignorance.

@Mathuzzz
    He is neither evil nor good. Geralt is protagonist without typically noble traits that heroes posses (there are some expceptions to this in novels), so you can consider him anti-hero. Simple as that.

Geralt is neutral, he can do some good things and some really nasty ones too.

But, overall, he strives to make a living out of slaying monster, and thats a harsh way of life.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @VittordeVitto
    There's more to that than just living by slaying monsters, when you consider novels, that is. But regardless, Geralt is pretty much neutral, yet still "anti-hero" term fits him pretty well.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't know. The first game (Witcher) was really redundant, the script pretty poorly written (f-bombs for no reason, etc), and had a relatively immature 'romance' injections (was that stuff written by teenagers?). I found the combat relatively unsatisfying and lost interest a good way into the game.

The second might be fantastic. I've definitely read really good things about it, but it's one of those 'do I want to spend money on this?' question. I've thought about picking it up, but did not.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    Mathuzzz said:

Dr_Atomic said:

I don´t think Witcher protagonist is generic. Fantasy RPG generic protagonist is more likely some kind of holy, good knight/warrior, saving everybody from the bad guys, while in Witcher, protagonist caused massacres, uses dark magic and is womanizer, he is not evil, but certainly not good. Also, I never really paid attention to all those sex scenes. Witcher was mostly mature because of language, dialogues, story and presence of all real life problems like racism, rape, corruption and politic intrigues...
    Don't forget sexism :). I find all of these things give both games a little more purpose than the average game. Most games these days the bad guys aren't really all that bad. It gives you little motivation or reason to want to defeat them.

I guess I'm not that into the romance thing. At least in baldur's gate it's just a little dialogue. When you have to watch the cheesy encounters acted out with voice like in Mass Effect/Dragon Age games it's difficult to watch for me. I find it much easier to watch encounters of pure lust. :) It is just a game after all. We don't need all this serious long term quality relationship nonsense intruding on it.
    VittordeVitto
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited January 2013
    I could only watch a LP on youtube and that was pretty good. Realy enjoyed it even as a viewer only. So from the ambience, setting and well nearly everything it was the best what i have seen so far. And people should enjoy video games instead being picky about stuff that they interpret maybe just wrong because of their personal world issues... all the *.*isms and stuff alike ;)

I mean imagine a book like tom sawyer being changed just because racism is today a public nogo and everything that made the book authentic is ruined by that.
    VittordeVitto
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mathuzzzreedmilfam
    Bhaaldog said:

I briefly tried Witcher, but it had very strong console elements to the combat system which I disliked...

I agree. At first they released it just for PC and put emphasis on that but I believe they had consoles in mind from the very beginning and had successful marketing towards PC community by stating that it is mainly PC game. It is not some ugly port like most of the games though.

I guess I'm not that into the romance thing. At least in baldur's gate it's just a little dialogue. When you have to watch the cheesy encounters acted out with voice like in Mass Effect/Dragon Age games it's difficult to watch for me. I find it much easier to watch encounters of pure lust. :) It is just a game after all. We don't need all this serious long term quality relationship nonsense intruding on it.

I´m with you on this one. It is nice to have some little romance there, but I wouldn´t mind if they would skip such thing completely, especially if they can put more effort into some more interesting party banter. One of the reasons I don´t visit bioware forums anymore. At times, there were half of the threads about romances details.
  • MalachyMalachy Member Posts: 13
    The Witcher Games are fantastic imo. Like many have said Geralt isn't a generic fantasy type hero and the games for me was something new or at least a refreshing change.

The Gameplay itself isn't something you can just jump into and learn off the bat, mastering the two styles will take some getting used to and knowing the best mutagens are vital to a good game experience.

On the subject of maturity, yes the sex scenes could have been left out but it doesn't diminish the game in a huge way and the collectible cards from the first game were a bit misplaced but they don't overshadow how good this game series is.

The company behind the games CD Projekt RED are a very well liked company and they seem to be planning a 3rd Witcher game. Free upgrades to Enhanced Edition and Free DLC content were great rewards for their customers and i can see big things for them in the future and only hope they keep making great games.