Skip to content

How much in Find Traps to deal with the Flesh Golem cave? (spoilers)

Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
How many points in Find Traps do you need to reliably deal with the traps in the Flesh Golem cave?

In my Jester duo run, I've just picked up Safana at level 4. She has 45 points in Find Traps. I was planning on having her drink a Potion of Perception and a Potion of Speed (though am not actually sure that's really necessary), then having my Jester cast invisibility on her to get past the Sirens and avoid the Gollums. She can disable the traps whilst invisibile (if she has enough points in this), then drink a potion of invisibility once she becomes visible after looting the treasure.

I'm not sure that 65 Find Traps will enough, though. I do have a Potion of Mind Focusing to hand, which would raise her dex to 20 and give her anohter +15% to Find Traps, bring it up to 80%, but is that just a waste of an expesive potion that is only available in limited numbers early on? As my Jester only had 15 Int, he's relying on Potions of Mind Focusing and/or Potions of Perception to boost his Int when batch-scribing scrolls, so I don't want to watse these unnecessarily.

I would test it out myself, but I'm trying to do a no reload run (though this might become a limited reload run...)
Post edited by Oxford_Guy on

Comments

• JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    I'm not sure about the Trap Finding required, but I think it requires at least 50.

However, if you do such a sneak run, you must be aware that after looting the treasure, Safana will constantly attempt to communicate with your CHARNAME, thus constantly cancelling whatever action you command her to do (even walking!). As such, it will take a while before exiting the cave, because every time to tell her to move, he will stop after a step or two trying to find your CHARNAME to no avail. I think I clicked over 30 times just to get her out!

Also, Golems, not Gollums!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Jace said:

I'm not sure about the Trap Finding required, but I think it requires at least 50.

However, if you do such a sneak run, you must be aware that after looting the treasure, Safana will constantly attempt to communicate with your CHARNAME, thus constantly cancelling whatever action you command her to do (even walking!). As such, it will take a while before exiting the cave, because every time to tell her to move, he will stop after a step or two trying to find your CHARNAME to no avail. I think I clicked over 30 times just to get her out!

Yes, I think I've encountered that in the past, but I have no choice, as she's the only Thief in my party, in fact she's my only other party member full dot!
    Jace said:

Also, Golems, not Gollums!

Oops, sorry! I got it right in the thread title at least! Will correct my original post...
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    According to NI, both the Detection and Removal difficulties are set at 30 for all the traps in the Flesh Golem cave.

Jace said:

So, just a Potion of Perception (which would give Find Traps 65) should be enough? Is it necessary to use a Potion of Speed, if using the tactics described? Both the Potion of Perception and the Invisibility Spell and Potion are long-lasting.

According to NI, both the Detection and Removal difficulties are set at 30 for all the traps in the Flesh Golem cave.

I'm sure I've failed to detect them with more than 30 in Find Traps, though!
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Just because you have above the number, doesn't mean you won't fail.
    RNG still applies to percentages.

Just because you have above the number, doesn't mean you won't fail.
    RNG still applies to percentages.

Okay, should 65 in Find Traps be enough to deal with them reliably, though (apart from critical failure, if that applies)?
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    When I did my own sneak run with Safana, her initial trapfinding was nowhere near enough to even detect the traps. I had to step on them, and then heal with potions, assuming she lived... I went around the right side of the cave.

I didn't use Oil of Speed or even Invisibility Potions. Just constant clicking of Stealth, a concept that quickly got irritating due to continuous stopping-to-find-CHARNAME-who-is-outside-the-cave-but-must-talk-to-him-this-instant! Phew!
    Jace said:

When I did my own sneak run with Safana, her initial trapfinding was nowhere near enough to even detect the traps. I had to step on them, and then heal with potions, assuming she lived... I went around the right side of the cave.

I didn't use Oil of Speed or even Invisibility Potions. Just constant clicking of Stealth, a concept that quickly got irritating due to continuous stopping-to-find-CHARNAME-who-is-outside-the-cave-but-must-talk-to-him-this-instant! Phew!

CHARNAME was level 4 when I picked her up (as wanted to wait until I could use the Invisibility spell), so she was Level 4 when I picked her up - she actual has a useful thief skill allocation (mostly pen locks and find traps) and her third proficiency is single weapon fighting, all of which is decent for my main (and only) thief.
    Okay, I managed to raid the Flesh Golem cave and disarm all the traps with a level 4 Safana using just the Potion of Perception (65 Find Traps total) and Invisibilty Spell followed by Invisibility potion after looting. No need for Oil of Speed nor Potion of Mind Focusing. It may even be possible to do it without the Potion of Perception (45 Find Traps), but I didn't want to risk it on a no/minimal reload run...

And yes it's a pain to move Safana after she's looted the tome, as she keeps on pausing to try to speak to CHARNAME, but I got safely back in the end.
  • SilverbladeTESilverbladeTE Member Posts: 9
    sigh in Dragon Age, it drives me CRAZY to hear them called "gollums" the bloody name is GOLEMS
    "GO LEHM" !!! hard accent on the "o" ;)

sigh in Dragon Age, it drives me CRAZY to hear them called "gollums" the bloody name is GOLEMS
    "GO LEHM" !!! hard accent on the "o" ;)

I blame Tolkien for confusing everyone :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.