Skip to content

Separate Pause Buttons (Multiplayer)

Had originally posted this as a mod request but was told to make a Feature Request for it, so here we are.

I've been playing a lot of Multiplayer with my roommate, which is a ton of fun, but we keep having some annoyances with Pausing. We only have auto-pause enabled when first entering combat, so I imagine it can be even more frustrating when enabled in other circumstances. But, say the game is paused, and you both go to unpause it, the lag makes it such that it inevitably pauses again.

What I had in mind for the feature would be keeping the Pause Button as it is for Single Player, but that when in Multiplayer you could bind separate keys to Pause and Unpause so that you can specifically hit one and not get into this state (Or the state of: We're in trouble during combat so I pause and he pauses at the same time and it ends up unpaused and we die. That's never fun either.)

Comments

• YoricksRequiemYoricksRequiem Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Hey guys, I have what I hope would be a simple mod. I've been playing Multiplayer with my roommate, which is awesome and a ton of fun, but we keep having an annoyance with Pausing. If we have the game paused, and we both hit to unpause, the lag makes it such that we inevitably repause it.

So the mod I'd like to have would be to have separate Pause / Unpause buttons, so that you can't get stuck in a pause loop like I've had happen a few times.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • nostradamus1915nostradamus1915 Member Posts: 11
    I need this mod too!
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    It should be only applicable in Multiplayer, I suppose? I imagine that this feature can be annoying in a singe player run.
    edited January 2013
    Yeah - I mean, I don't know how much work it would be to do either way, but I didn't figure it would overwrite the Single Player functionality, so perhaps there could be three bindings? One to toggle the paused state for Single Player, which already exists, and then two for Multiplayer, one to Pause and one to Unpause?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    You should write a feature request in the appropriate section. There is almost no chance this can be made by a mod.
    Adding a button in the UI can be made by mod, but it has no use if the game engine doesn't have sensitive areas implementing the function you want. A bit like cutting the space bar in two on your keyboard: it won't give you any additional feature.
    edited January 2013
    I didn't figure on it being a UI button, just a keybinding, but I'll totally make a Feature Request for it.

[EDIT] And done
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    what about making it so that only the player that hit pause can unpause it? So if two players hit pause, they would both need to hit unpaused before the game unpaused.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Threads merged.
    Oh, thanks minevese!
    PeteAtoms said:

what about making it so that only the player that hit pause can unpause it? So if two players hit pause, they would both need to hit unpaused before the game unpaused.

That would actually be solid, too! It's just so easy to get things screwed up right now.

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i've been having the same problem. we basically get round it by only him doing all the pausing, I can just about get by playing in real time
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I'd imagine that somewhere in the code is the pause-unpause function called by the existing keybinding. It probably says "If the game is paused when this button is pressed, unpause. If it is unpaused when this button is pressed, pause."

This is likely something internal that could not be separated by a mod.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    mjs said:

i've been having the same problem. we basically get round it by only him doing all the pausing, I can just about get by playing in real time

I agree. But I can only handle it at fairly slow FPS. Running combat at 45 is just a tad too quick for me. I haven't tried the default (30, IIRC?), it's just too slow for single player, IMO. But it's something I need to actually try before I start making feature requests.

But a way to actually speed up or slow FPS, IN GAME, would be really cool. Not sure if that is feasible, but I would love that.