Skip to content

Lack of "new" spell scroll

NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I'm at the final combat in the undercity...so I could speak about that XD.

I've found few scrolls of spells not present in BG1; I've never found randomly theese ones (only "old" spell scrolls) and of some spells I've never found ONE scroll.

Spells under the 5th level are really common to find during the game so I think that also the new spells of those levels would have to be more present in the game (at least 3 scroll in all game per kind of spell!)

About 5th level spells, I think that would be good if it was possible to find at least 1 for every kind of spell.

Here's my list:

2° livello

Deafness 2
Glitterdust 2
Power word sleep 2
Ray of Enfeeblement 2

3° livello

Detect Illusion 2
Hold Undead 2
Invisibility 10' Radius 0
Melf Minute Meteors 2
Minor Spell Deflection 2
Protection from Fire 2
Protection from Cold 2
Remove Magic 2
Spell Thrust 2
Wraithform 1

4° livello

Contagion 1
Enchanted Weapon 0
Farsight 1
Fire Shield, blu 1
Fire Shield, rosso 1
Ice Storm 0
Minor Spell Sequencer 1
Secret Word 1
Spider Spawn 1
Stoneskin 2
teleport Field 1
Wizard's Eye 0

5° livello

Conjure lesser Elemental (every kind)) 0
Lower Resistence 0
Minor Spell Turning 0
Oracle 0
Phantom Weapon 0
Protection from Acid 0
Protection from Electricity 0
Protection from Normal Weapon 0
Spell Immunity 0
Spell Schield 0
Sunfire 1 or 2

Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Gotta agree that some of the new spells from BG2 are a bit lacking in BG:EE.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    Yes, adding them to random scroll tables would relieve us from the responsibility to place them to somewhere nice. Ice storm really sucks if not found anywhere. That's a bog standard spell.
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    edited December 2012
    Ok,
    random scroll are ok, but that works well for 1-2 spell level, less with 3 (there are not much monster that may leave you spell of 3rd level) and help not with upper levels.

Could you also add some 2-5 level spells somewhere? At least the one missing at all...in Candlekeep catacombs, or in Durlag's Tower or maybe at the Sorcerers Sundries in BG or boh.

In the first two places you can find a lot of scroll of about all levels... (to 5)...

As I've already said, you find a lot of spell till 3-4 level...but spells are always the same (that of the original game) You could maybe substitute some of them with some of the news spell...for example there are at list 4 otiluke sphere in the game...why not change one in invisibility 10' radius?)
    Or if easier you can simply add some spell scroll to some spellseller...XD

For spell of 5 level, I think that maybe in places as Durlag's tower is easy to add the missing ones..XD

Post edited by NymMoondown on
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    You can get (=steal+buy) 4 lvl 5 spells very early in the game as long as your pickpocketing is high enough :)
    I think it's Chaos+Cloudkill+Feeblemind+Sunfire (got Cloudkill at least 3times and wasn't even in Durlags Tower nor Candlekeep DUngeon)
    Ok, but 3 of them are so common in game (has you have already written)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Wow, i don't think this is intended. Is this verified ?

If you're right, that means that none of the new level 5 spells can be used in this game. So i don't see the point of even including them in the game and speak about them in the manual...

Actually, sorcerers "could" choose them, but they can't have level 5 spells because of the XP cap and their spells chart. Assuming you're playing an unmodded game of course.

I really don't get the point of the developpers here. I guess this lack of scrolls is not intended and should be corrected ASAP, since this REALLY hurts mages characters (Spell immunity or Lower resistance are especially missing...)
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Hmm, mages should use them, cause they get their lvl 9 at 135000, which also unlocks a lvl 5 spellslot.
    But with a full party, you have to farm quite some additional XP and is more intended for either solo-chars or a small party. And by the time your mage (in a full party) is lvl 9, none of the content is any difficult.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah i agree with you. My only complaint is that mages should be able to enjoy the new content of BGII in BGEE, that is the new level 5 spells... and it doesn't seem possible for now.
    I mean, why druids or thieves could enjoy their kits and new toys at level 9, and not the mage ?

EDIT : considering XP, in all my games with TotSC installed, i always had more than 160000 xp for all my 6 party members without farming much, at the end of the game.
    I'm a bit of a completionnist, but i can assure you there is a LOT of things to do, and a LOT of XP to get... and it was before they added new quests in BGEE.
    Post edited by Palanthis on
    @Avenger_teambg
    I didn't notice you were one of the beta-testers. I'm not sure if this "bug" has been reported and if you're working on it ?
    Thanks !
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As I currently see it, it's more of a feature request than bug, so I don't think the devs need to necessarily be bothered with it at present. It sure would be nice to have some awesome pyrotechnic "high level" spells though! :p
    While i agree this is not a urgent matter,i do think this is more a "bug" than a feature request... We can't request a feature that is supposed to be in the game... or at least that's what the manual say.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Add a mage scroll of Animate Dead (zero) to your 5th level list. It was never in vanilla BG either. I always CLUA it in when my Necromancer hits 9th level.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I'm not really worried about this as you cannot get high enough level to memorize them. For people who disable the level cap, well you're cheating so why not just use thee console to create the spells?

Also, this is not a bug this is a Feature Request.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525

I'd have to agree. Moving this to Feature Requests.

I'm not really worried about this as you cannot get high enough level to memorize them. For people who disable the level cap, well you're cheating so why not just use thee console to create the spells?

Hum, sorry but mages get level 5 when they reach 135000 XP. Max cap of unmodded BGEE is 161000 XP. These spells can be memorized, and should be... Specialized mages have two level 5 slots open when they hit 135000 XP. They should e able to memorize the new spells.
    That's actually the problem i'm speaking about.

But hey, it's not all about level 5 spells. See the OP.
    ALL the new spells are somewhat missing from BGEE. Their scrolls are really too few in comparison to vanilla BG spells.

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    But the spells *are* present in the game - they are all there in the Black Pits. So it's not a bug if you want them as random drops on normal Baldur's Gate, as the spells are there - it's a feature. Personally, I'd even remove plenty of spells that are currently available such as insect plague, stoneskin/ironskins, holy power and other such spells as they unbalance the game insanely. The game was already unbalanced in Vanilla with fireball and cloudkill alone, while here we get as useful debuffers as spell thrust. People would even like lower resist? Come on, give those enemy mages a chance to live! >.<
    I don't agree.
    If all "old" spells can be found as random treasure it's a bug to not include the new ones.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited December 2012
    @NymMoondown - Nope: A bug is by definition something that is present in the game but not working as intended. In this case, there is no algorithm in the game to scatter new-spell scrolls around as random treasure, which means their absence is intended. Whether or not this is fair may be subject to discussion, but that would still be a feature request; it would be a bug if such an algorithm was in place, but didn't work or failed to trigger.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ok for the feature request then.
    My purpose is not to unbalance the game, but to have more spells to choose from.
    A lot of the new spells (including level 5 spells) are not really useful, but it would be cool, imho, that a mage could have a chance to learn them.

I'd personally suggest that we have the possibility to find in BGEE :
    - at least one scroll for each level 5 spell
    - at least 2 scrolls for each new level 4 spell
    - at least 3 scrolls for each new level 3 / 2 / 1 spell

As you can see, i'm against the idea of having too many scrolls. I like this thing of iron crisis for the mages too.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I'm at the final combat in the undercity...so I could speak about that XD.

I've found few scrolls of spells not present in BG1; I've never found randomly theese ones (only "old" spell scrolls) and of some spells I've never found ONE scroll.

Spells under the 5th level are really common to find during the game so I think that also the new spells of those levels would have to be more present in the game (at least 3 scroll in all game per kind of spell!)

About 5th level spells, I think that would be good if it was possible to find at least 1 for every kind of spell.

Here's my list:

2° livello

Deafness 2
    Glitterdust 2
    Power word sleep 2
    Ray of Enfeeblement 2

3° livello

Detect Illusion 2
    Hold Undead 2
    Invisibility 10' Radius 0
    Melf Minute Meteors 2
    Minor Spell Deflection 2
    Protection from Fire 2
    Protection from Cold 2
    Remove Magic 2
    Spell Thrust 2
    Wraithform 1

4° livello

Contagion 1
    Enchanted Weapon 0
    Farsight 1
    Fire Shield, blu 1
    Fire Shield, rosso 1
    Ice Storm 0
    Minor Spell Sequencer 1
    Secret Word 1
    Spider Spawn 1
    Stoneskin 2
    teleport Field 1
    Wizard's Eye 0

5° livello

Conjure lesser Elemental (every kind)) 0
    Lower Resistence 0
    Minor Spell Turning 0
    Oracle 0
    Phantom Weapon 0
    Protection from Acid 0
    Protection from Electricity 0
    Protection from Normal Weapon 0
    Spell Immunity 0
    Spell Schield 0
    Sunfire 1 or 2

There's also a few BG2 first level spells in BGEE, again with only limited scrolls, I've found:

Find Familiar 2
    Spook 1 (a great spell!)
    Reflected Image 1

There may be others, though
    edited February 2013
    So, any word on this subject ? Can we hope to have this feature added to BGEE ? I mean, can we have Ice storm in BGEE or invisibility 10'radius as random loot in Durlag's tower for example ?

i got "Invisibility 10' Radius" on a greater Doppelganger in Durlags Tower Labyrith 1. So the Number is not 0 :)

This is random loot...^_^