Skip to content

Questions about Shape Shifters

Well i was gona start a random Multiplayer game with my cousin.

And i was planning to test Shape Shifter there as my main.

I have read around many places that its very underpowered and buggy. Is that fixed now? some info about how they work or their mechanics will be rly nice. THACO, armor and stuff when shape shifted. (Pips ? claws are a 2h weap or what :D?)

All that stuff. ty.

Comments

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Shapeshifter in BG:EE is still underpowered as far as I know. The BG2tweaks down in the modding sub-forum has an option in it to repair the kit, but last I heard there was some conflict with the BG:EE engine causing the paws to vanish after a couple minutes, forcing you out of the shapechange.

I've played the TuTu version with BGTweaks Shapeshifter and the thing is an absolute beast and was a blast to play. The big thing is, when you shapeshift your stats change to that of the Werewolf type you are playing as, so you don't have to break your back trying to max str/dex/con/and wis, and also it allows you to cast spells when shapechanged much like the NPC's are able to.

• GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    Mykra said:

Shapeshifter in BG:EE is still underpowered as far as I know. The BG2tweaks down in the modding sub-forum has an option in it to repair the kit, but last I heard there was some conflict with the BG:EE engine causing the paws to vanish after a couple minutes, forcing you out of the shapechange.

I've played the TuTu version with BGTweaks Shapeshifter and the thing is an absolute beast and was a blast to play. The big thing is, when you shapeshift your stats change to that of the Werewolf type you are playing as, so you don't have to break your back trying to max str/dex/con/and wis, and also it allows you to cast spells when shapechanged much like the NPC's are able to.

ty for the info. i would like to know more about it in BG:EE

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The difficulty (appropriately for a druid) is finding the right balance.

As far as I'm aware the werewolf & greater werewolf forms are still not the same in terms of stats as the normal werewolves/greater werewolves you'll encounter and are in fact a lot weaker. The tradeoffs (not wearing *any* armour) are steep, and really limit your ability out of shapeshifted form.

There are a couple of rebalance mods for BG2 & TuTu out there as @Mykra says. If anything they may err on the side of making Shapeshifters a bit too good though.

Overhaul have just left well enough alone for now, so they're still in their relatively gimped state. We shall see if any changes are forthcoming, although I wouldn't count on them being official.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2013
    GaNoN said:

ty for the info. i would like to know more about it in BG:EE

Well, in BG:EE it's going to be an interesting kit that some people will love, some people will hate. Most of the Werewolves problems is that it scales for crap, so in BG2 it kinda gets messed up in fights it has no reason to lose in. In BG:EE, the Werewolf will start off absolutely dominant, and slowly get weaker as the chapters go by as you are stuck with a D6 damage paw that uses Druid THAC0. I'm not sure if it even counts as magical, I know the 13th level version counts as a +2.

If you build your Druid to be a sort of missile battery/support character and use the werewolf form to jump in after casting your spells, it can be fun and handy in the game. If the plan is to wolf out and tear up the front lines, probably better just making a fighter-type and building a tank.
    Corvino said:

The difficulty (appropriately for a druid) is finding the right balance.

There are a couple of rebalance mods for BG2 & TuTu out there as @Mykra says. If anything they may err on the side of making Shapeshifters a bit too good though.

True. IIRC, the Shapeshifter rebalance was explicitly meant to be used with something like Tactics or Sword Coast Stratagems that upped the difficulty. I forgot to mention that, so good catch.
  • The basic werewolf form's claws don't count as magical weapons, so it'll be great against most opponents who can be hurt by normal weapons, but you'll just be a normal Druid against enemies that require magic weapons to hit.
    @Mykra
    @Kaigen

So its like playing a monk right? kinda pain in the ass :(

a pitty because i rly like this 2 classes

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @GaNoN

unlike a shapeshifter though, monks do become epically powerful and scale well
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    IMO, the wolf form powers should develop with level, using the monk class as a model.
    mjs said:

@GaNoN

unlike a shapeshifter though, monks do become epically powerful and scale well

Fardragon said:

IMO, the wolf form powers should develop with level, using the monk class as a model.

1 question, Monk's fists what type of fighting style are?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    2-handed

2-handed

Like a big 2 handed sword?

And 1 more question, i read going with more than 16 con on a monk is wasting points, why :(?
  • Monks are not considered a "Fighter Class" and so don't get the additional bonus hit points for higher than 16 Con that "Fighter Classes" get. That said, Monks with an 18 Con can use the Claw of Kazgaroth with little penalty, so it's not entirely pointless.