Skip to content

Can someone give me a timeline of the DnD games?

Couldn't really find anything.

BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, NWN, NWN 2.

Just like, curious and stuff.

Comments

• ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    Baldur's Gate is set in 1368DR, BG2 begins few months later, in 1369.

Icewind Dale is set in 1281DR, i.e. before the Time of Troubles, along with the 'sequel', which begins in 1312DR

Storm of Zehir occurs somewhere between 'present day' (1373?) 3.5 FR, and the Spellplague in 1385DR, as the plot is driven by the effects of Zehir's appearance amongst the Yuan-Ti. I have no Idea when the other NWN modules are set, because I do not have them installed on this machine.

As for the various other DnD games, all I can say is that I Planescape: Torment occurs before the faction war. Whether that has an actual Dales Reckoning date... The battle of Emridy Meadows was, I think, in the year 569. (A separate timeline.) I have not played the other various DnD games.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Bro. That's when the games were released not the year they are set. Of course I checked on Google. Cheers Toffee.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    A little clarity in your request might have helped. LOL. Asking for a timeline, that is what ReWizard gave you. Just not the timeline you were looking for. Just sayin.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited February 2013
    1358 DR: The Time of Troubles
    1368 DR: Baldur's Gate
    1372 DR: Neverwinter Nights 1 (Year of Wild Magic)
    1374 DR: Neverwinter Nights 2 (Year of Lightning Storms)

I'm confused though...what triggered the Bhaalspawn saga again? Isn't it after the time of troubles? Wouldn't that make PC a pup?
    Reference - Darek Death

I'll try to look up IWD.

EDIT: I see @Toffee already had answered IWD. And BG1 & 2 are just months apart? For some reason, 7 years pops in my head. But don't mind me, 7 years is too long that I doubt it's right; probably just a wild surge in my head.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Illustair said:

I'm confused though...what triggered the Bhaalspawn saga again? Isn't it after the time of troubles? Wouldn't that make PC a pup?

EDIT: I see @Toffee already had answered IWD. And BG1 & 2 are just months apart? For some reason, 7 years pops in my head. But don't mind me, 7 years is too long that I doubt it's right; probably just a wild surge in my head.

I'm not sure exactly when Bhaal knew his clock was going to be punched, but I figured he was busy forming the Plan B strategy before the Time of Troubles even hit as you meet a person in ToB who far and away breaks any sort of timeline I've seen before.

BG Saga was supposed to span over four years worth of time from a previous quote I read over on Greenwood's Candlekeep forums, not sure how correct it is but it feels right. However, being what you are though, it wouldn't surprise me to see such a meteoric rise to power.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, the conundrum of charname being born too early... I guess it's solved by what @Mykra said, Bhaal knew his clock would strike way before that, or maybe he just had a faint feeling something might happen and he better reproduce. Nobody knows, as it's never been clearly stated by Bioware or whomever responsible, as far as I know.

I don't know whether gods were able to foresee the ToT, and I wouldn't think so, but apparently something along these lines must have happened. I wonder why the other gods didn't use suche foreknowledge to their advantage, but maybe that's got to do with the fact that the Baldur's Gate series isn't considered canon with regard to the Forgotten Realms.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    wow never knew westwood studios were so old school

command and conquer red alert 2 was a bloody amazing game
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Bhaal didn't necessarily foresee the Time of Troubles... just his own death. Since he was the Lord of Murder, that's not much of a stretch.
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2013
    ^Bhaal knew because he, or his position, was the subject of a very specific Alaundo prophecy. "The Lord of Murder shall perish..." Not any old "Lord" of Murder, but a divine one is presumed by the word mortal [In the following line.]

The chanters of Candlekeep chant the prophecies that have yet to come to pass, though the year of the turret (1360) has in fact already happened and the horde it speaks of has been defeated. Though Candlekeep is a secluded place, some of the prophecies are well known, or at least present in the public conciousness. Bhaal knew he would die, at some point. While it's possible there were other Bhaalspawn long before they were required, perhaps as a way of hiding some of his power, the known evidence is that he knew he would die during the time of troubles - either he predicted that itself or merely the date of his 'death' - and fornicated accordingly that his progeny would be of warring age at one time. (It is worth noting that you are approximately 20 years of age regardless of your race, making you especially young if an elf, but that other longer-maturing creatures were sired earlier.)

Bane & Myrkul also made provisions for their deaths, (though I'm not familiar with the crown and how much of that was intentional) though Bane's was probably a much more general safeguard than the (presumably) very specific plan of Bhaal. Minor spoiler ToB
    Regarding that plan, it's been a while (i.e. a decade) since I played ToB and do not remember how much of it is referenced. Presumably no one Bhaalspawn was supposed to accumulate so much of his essence, (perhaps the fact that they did at all was an error?) and that when enough of it had been returned to his Throne he would reconstitute there, with a core of dedicated clergy and the results of his children causing violent death on a grand scale being enough to catapult him back with enough power to successfully challenge the holder of his portfolio, presumably still Cyric, and perhaps with other domains related to his masterful stroke.

[It is doubtful Bhaal knew what (the time of troubles) would happen, and hardly possible Bane, (he who was responsible) would have nicked the tablets when that turned out so badly for him. It is possible that somebody like Oghma could have known, but refused to speak of it. Maybe there's more in the novels, though something tells me the machinations of the god of knowledge probably don't really feature.]

[As for that bioware forums link, I'm pretty sure Red Knight has been around much longer than 1358.]
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    The "Gold Box" games (Champions of Krynn, the original Pool of Radiance etc.) were awesome for their time, as was Eye of the Beholder, though I preferred the more tactical nature of the Gold Box games - more like BG
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2013
    Gold box games were AWESOME for their time. I remember getting totally lost in Pool Of Radiance (the gold box game, not the game that came out a few years ago) and then going on to Curse. Secret of the Silver blades was divine as well. And then Pools of Darkness. Hours and hours of fun.

I remember the epic battle at the end of SotSB against the Frost Giants very well. My entire party got wiped out but my Mage was never touched. And totally dominated.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Gold box games were AWESOME for their time. I remember getting totally lost in Pool Of Radiance (the gold box game, not the game that came out a few years ago) and then going on to Curse. Secret of the Silver blades was divine as well. And then Pools of Darkness. Hours and hours of fun.

I remember the epic battle at the end of SotSB against the Frost Giants very well. My entire party got wiped out but my Mage was never touched. And totally dominated.

I don't particularly miss having to draw my own maps with graph paper, though...