Skip to content

160k xp cap

ZanteZante Member Posts: 15
Am I correct in thinking that due to the 160k experience cap, it's impossible for thieves to reach eligibility for the UAI skill in BG EE?

The black pits is said to go up to 500k I think, but that's still too low.

Is anyone able to confirm this as a lot of the posts on the subject were made prior to the confirmation of the lower than planned xp cap?
Post edited by Zante on

Comments

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    you are correct

the xp cap is the same as it was when Tales of the Sword Coast was released, so i'm not sure what you mean by lower than planned?

UAI is an HLA for ToB where XP cap is 8000000 :P

HLAs normally kick in around 3000000 XP

• ZanteZante Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2013
    I realise it's always been low in BG :p I just remember hearing that there was a plan during dev to raise it (I don't know how far[!]) which was later decided against. No worries, cheers. : ]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    3M exp is the right spot. That is when everyone starts to get any HLAs. And even if they were considering heightening the exp cap I doubt that they were considering going from 0.161M to 3M.... (the 3M is higher than even BG2 SoA had)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    Not all of the HLA are in BG:EE even if you were at 8 Million XP. I've only seen the priest Quest Spells. Thief and Warrior pools are missing.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @bhaaldog

it's a mixture. classes got their HLA at a certain level, but with classes progressing at different rates, the level closest (ish) to 3 mil starts getting HLAs. here's a pdf of ToB manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48057202/1/NEW-CLASS-ABILITIES
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Bhaaldog

I think a thief/bard gets their first HLA at 24.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2013
    Including the HLA's (and the levels/XP necessary to reach them) in BG:EE would add serious balancing issues to the game as it stands. I am personally glad that they waited and didn't increase the cap beyond ToSC levels. You CAN remove the XP cap with a mod if you want. But even then, beyond a certain point what is the point until you have opponents to face that are even remotely a challenge (which the offerings in BG wouldn't be if you were level 20ish)?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Bhaaldog, I can see that being interesting. And I share the sentiment that BG1 is supposed to be low level and should stay that way. But.... I think that would have made the ToSC content a bit tougher to include. Not impossible, mind you, but definitely tougher in my view.

As it is, some players seen to feel the need to remove the XP cap. And that is fine, for their playing. I personally wouldn't do that because I think it makes things a bit too easy as evidenced by some of the recent threads posted here. But hey, to each their own.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

3M exp is the right spot. That is when everyone starts to get any HLAs. And even if they were considering heightening the exp cap I doubt that they were considering going from 0.161M to 3M.... (the 3M is higher than even BG2 SoA had)

Is it experience based or level based? I cannot remember exactly but I recall a thief being around level 20 at 2.2 mil exp.
    It is the next level up after you hit 3M. No class gets them before 3M (some exactly at 3M).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

Is it experience based or level based? I cannot remember exactly but I recall a thief being around level 20 at 2.2 mil exp.
    I'm almost positive that you start gaining HLAs the first time you level up after hitting 3 mil xp. For multis, xp from both classes contribute to the 3 mil threshold, for duals only xp from your second class counts.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I'd rather have the xp cap lowered to 89k than have it heightened tbh. I kind of feel that the xp cap of 161k is right where it is supposed to be but if you feel strongly about changing it then it is quite easy to do with not that much work.
    And if you remove the xp cap and make a lvl 20 character then I predict that sorceror will be your best choice. (Because they actually get all the highlevel spells)
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

I'm almost positive that you start gaining HLAs the first time you level up after hitting 3 mil xp. For multis, xp from both classes contribute to the 3 mil threshold, for duals only xp from your second class counts.
    This is mostly correct.

Cleric/Ranger gets a Warrior HLA pick at Cleric level 13 with 2.25 million total XP.

Weird, I know.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151

@Bhaaldog, I can see that being interesting. And I share the sentiment that BG1 is supposed to be low level and should stay that way. But.... I think that would have made the ToSC content a bit tougher to include. Not impossible, mind you, but definitely tougher in my view.

As it is, some players seen to feel the need to remove the XP cap. And that is fine, for their playing. I personally wouldn't do that because I think it makes things a bit too easy as evidenced by some of the recent threads posted here. But hey, to each their own.

I always remove the XP cap and I already have on EE. I pretty much always adventure with a full party (full team tactics are my favorite part of the game) and it doesn't actually make a huge difference. With a full party there just isn't that much more experience to be found, you would have to do a pretty tedious amount of grinding to get much over 200K XP (that means in a party of six, I will occasionally have two or three characters go one level over the official limit). But I dislike having my characters stopped for no reason other than game balance, and I WANT those extra 40K+ experience points when I move on to BG2.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Zutti said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

This is mostly correct.

Cleric/Ranger gets a Warrior HLA pick at Cleric level 13 with 2.25 million total XP.

Weird, I know.
    Wow, bugged spell selection and early HLA access? Ranger/Clerics have it made.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    TJ_Hooker said:

Zutti said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

This is mostly correct.

Weird, I know.
    Wow, bugged spell selection and early HLA access? Ranger/Clerics have it made.
    It's a known bug in ToB that was hardcoded, if I recall correctly. Nobody has fixed it in a decade. I believe Cleric/Rangers get two HLAs slightly early, then lose two HLA picks later to compensate, so it works out fairly in the long-term.

Regarding the OP, I'm pretty sure there isn't enough XP in the entire game for a character to reach HLA levels, even soloing, unless they spend hours upon hours farming respawning enemies. High level quests in BG1 still only grant a couple thousand XP usually, and enemies never give more than that unless you're murdering Elminster.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Madhax Once playing with a full party with the xp cap removed, my main char had around 220k xp by the end. That was completing all quests and exploring all areas. So I'd say in a solo play if you don't skip any area and do not grind for XP you can have around 1.2M XP at the end.
    atcDave said:

I always remove the XP cap and I already have on EE. I pretty much always adventure with a full party (full team tactics are my favorite part of the game) and it doesn't actually make a huge difference. With a full party there just isn't that much more experience to be found, you would have to do a pretty tedious amount of grinding to get much over 200K XP (that means in a party of six, I will occasionally have two or three characters go one level over the official limit). But I dislike having my characters stopped for no reason other than game balance, and I WANT those extra 40K+ experience points when I move on to BG2.
    And to each their own. That is the beauty of being able to play a single player game like this. If you want to have a party of 10th levels, you can.

For me, in the most recent play through, I beat Saravok with my party at something around 140K XP. So I personally would imagine that it would lose something "To me" if it were much easier (not to say it was EASY, but if it were easier than tough, I might have a problem). But that is quite simply the way I play. More power to those who play differently.
    Zutti said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

This is mostly correct.

Weird, I know.
    I just tested in BG2 and didn't get a HLA pick at 2.25 million. I set XP at 2M and levelled up and then reset XP at 2.3M and leveled up to Cleric level 13 without a HLA.

Level 12 ranger didn't give a HLA; Level 14 Cleric didn't; it was only at 3M (level 13 ranger) that the R/C got its first HLA.

Is this the product of a mod on my end or yours?

• SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64

And to each their own. That is the beauty of being able to play a single player game like this. If you want to have a party of 10th levels, you can.

For me, in the most recent play through, I beat Saravok with my party at something around 140K XP. So I personally would imagine that it would lose something "To me" if it were much easier (not to say it was EASY, but if it were easier than tough, I might have a problem). But that is quite simply the way I play. More power to those who play differently.

True. I tend to remove the cap because I try to evenly level up most of the NPCs (I like experiencing each of their quests and various combinations of interactions, which entails swapping them in and out throughout the course of the game), so going into the final battle CHARNAME is usually over the cap, but bringing along 5 NPCs who are a little lower in level than would normally be the case at that point in the game.

• ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    AHF said:

Zutti said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

This is mostly correct.

Weird, I know.
    I just tested in BG2 and didn't get a HLA pick at 2.25 million. I set XP at 2M and levelled up and then reset XP at 2.3M and leveled up to Cleric level 13 without a HLA.

Level 12 ranger didn't give a HLA; Level 14 Cleric didn't; it was only at 3M (level 13 ranger) that the R/C got its first HLA.

I believe Ascension fixes this.
    Zutti said:

AHF said:

Zutti said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Bhaaldog said:

Lifat said:

This is mostly correct.

Weird, I know.

I believe Ascension fixes this.
    That is installed on mine so it would explain the discrepancy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.