Skip to content

Durlag's Tower - minimum Find Traps score required? (spoilers!)

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
Is 80 in Find Traps enough to complete Durlag's? I'm recalling the number 85 as a rule. And for a couple of traps 90 is needed, I think... But will 80 actually get it done for the most part? Even if just a few undetected traps get tripped and yet aren't lethal, that's acceptable to me. I know there's a couple traps where the wall will crush you, crush you to goo, if you can't detect them, though.
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think I remember reading elsewhere on these forums that you need 85 (I think) to be able to detect all the traps, and 100 to be able to disarm all of them.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you find any you can't disarm a potion of perception will push you from 80 to 100. Job done.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Well for this scenario I'm considering a Thief dualing at level 2, which gets you to 80 with potion of perception.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Corvino said:

If you find any you can't disarm a potion of perception will push you from 80 to 100. Job done.

Not if the trap you couldn't disarm killed your character and you're playing a no reload/minimal reload no resurrection game...
    Lemernis said:

Well for this scenario I'm considering a Thief dualing at level 2, which gets you to 80 with potion of perception.

Would the +3 Dex from a Potion of Mind Focusing help push that up? Maybe +15% Find Traps
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've heard from several sources that it's 90% to detect all traps, and 100% to disarm certain ones. I took a thief with 90% base trapfinding (after dexterity modification) with a couple Perception potions, and never tripped a single trap that wasn't scripted.

@Oxford_Guy might be on target here, combining a Perception potion and a Mind Focusing potion should do the trick, though I can't confirm that personally. It's good thinking if you really don't want to invest in a thief.
    Madhax said:

I've heard from several sources that it's 90% to detect all traps, and 100% to disarm certain ones. I took a thief with 90% base trapfinding (after dexterity modification) with a couple Perception potions, and never tripped a single trap that wasn't scripted.

@Oxford_Guy might be on target here, combining a Perception potion and a Mind Focusing potion should do the trick, though I can't confirm that personally. It's good thinking if you really don't want to invest in a thief.

Also, don't forget the Luck spell gives +5% to ALL thieving abilities, though only lasts 3 rounds
  • Lemernis said:

Well, if the Thief is Charname, and you're playing good-aligned, and you wait until the last couple of chapters of the game, Draw Upon Holy Might would also give you a Dex bonus that would bump your find traps up.
    Kaigen said:

Lemernis said:

Well, if the Thief is Charname, and you're playing good-aligned, and you wait until the last couple of chapters of the game, Draw Upon Holy Might would also give you a Dex bonus that would bump your find traps up.
    You can be chaotic evil and still get DUHM if your Reputation is 10 or more when the appropriate dream sequence triggers...
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Just on time guys. I just went in the tower only to find out that Montaron is insufficient with a skill of 60. The good thing is I have te Find traps spell always memorised. Luck is already in Xzar's spellbook, so I guess now I have to go out and buy Potions of Perception.

I don't suppose any of you remembers where I can buy quite a few? High Hedge maybe?
    mement0 said:

Just on time guys. I just went in the tower only to find out that Montaron is insufficient with a skill of 60. The good thing is I have te Find traps spell always memorised. Luck is already in Xzar's spellbook, so I guess now I have to go out and buy Potions of Perception.

I don't suppose any of you remembers where I can buy quite a few? High Hedge maybe?

The temple at the Friendly Arm Inn has 4, I think, perhaps also the wondering merchant near Durlag's Tower? Other than that, quite a few places in Baldur's Gate city.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105

mement0 said:

The temple at the Friendly Arm Inn has 4, I think, perhaps also the wondering merchant near Durlag's Tower? Other than that, quite a few places in Baldur's Gate city.
    Thanks a lot. On my way to get a few. Its not the damaging effects from traps that worry me, but the mind affecting ones.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013

Lemernis said:

Would the +3 Dex from a Potion of Mind Focusing help push that up? Maybe +15% Find Traps
    I'm pretty sure all the thief skill improving potions stack with themselves, so you don't really need to get too creative with trying to find other types potions to boost with. Unless there are more potions of mind focusing than there are potions of perception?
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Kaigen said:

Lemernis said:

No, Imoen actually. In games where the Thieving duties can be handled by other party members and the player wants her to be a mage, then she can be dualed right away at level 2. Imoen's 25 skill points can be poured into Find Traps, getting it to 60. Then with a potion of perception she'll be at 80 for Find Traps. So she's almost there for Durlag's, if one wanted to have Immy handle traps. Then the other Thieves would be free to distribute their skills points elsewhere.