Skip to content

Use of Magic

KenKen Member Posts: 226
From what I remember, there were about 5 different magescripts for the enemy mages to use. They usually involved casting a spell like Mirror Image, Confusion/Horror and then offensive spells. They never used smarter spells like "Sleep" or maybe "Haste" on their party.

But if we get all spells from BG2 (I guess we do because of the engine port) then the AI of the enemies is severely lacking! "Stoneskin" would never get breached, they would never try to break down your spell wards! (None of the enemy scripts in BG1 would use Dispel Magic if I'm correct).

Have you made any changes in this? If we, the player, get so many new spells and abilities, then the enemy spellcasting AI should also get an overhaul

- Ken
WardTingel

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    -bump-

Can't answer your question but I agree. Not sure how it will be with the AI magic.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I'm way out of my depth in saying this, but maybe when they took the code from BGII, they also reworked the AI to be more like BGII? No idea, really.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012
    I agree -- the original AI is too predictable and not very challenging to an experienced player.

If the scripts aren't updated in EE, I recommend the "Sword Coast Strategems" mod to give mages a bit more juice. Can't remember if I tried it with BG1, but it certainly freshened up some BG2 battles.
    NWN_babaYaga
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Or I could install my own mod from back then called "Back To Baldurs Gate" :P

...Wait, it only used BG1 spells, the other mod would fit better, although I don't know if those mods will be compatible with the new BG:EE
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I was considering posting in AI improvement thread about the SSL tool developped by DavidW for the devs to use it for better scripting (in Black Pits at least) but I'm not sure the author would like to see it used in a commercial product so I didn't~
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Hopefully (and I dare say it's probable) the devs have thought of the outdated scripts and new abilities in EE and given some love to the enemy AI.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Maybe @TrentOster would give us a quick yes/no answer
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    This reminds me when I was trying to give one of the vanilla scripts to a mod creature, the block that casts mirror image only checks if the spell is memorized, not even !StateCheck(Myself,STATE_MIRRORIMAGE) so if you give the mage more that 1 mirror image spell memorized he will cast them over and over until depleted, how cool is that?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited July 2012
    There are two people who use dispel magic as far as I can think - The crazy gnome on the ice island, near the end of the dungeon and Kristine (or whatever her name is, girlfriend of Slythe)
    Edit : Oh, and Demonknight does cast dispel too.

Haste is normally just cast by Greater Dopplegangers on the top of my head...?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I believe switching over to the BG2 engine automatically updates those AI scripts, doesn't it? Either that, or the BG Tutu folks did it themselves. Besides, Breach is a 5th level spell. Even if the BG1 scripts don't tell them to use it, not many of those enemies will even have that spell.