Skip to content

Can't make enough room on a 16GB iPad 2 for the update

Currently BG:EE is taking up 1.9GB on the iPad and I have 3.5GB of free space after removing several applications and the automated backup. There's nothing else I can remove on my iPad without losing application data that I don't want to remove (I have no data, music, videos, or pics on it). But for some reason even with the 3.5GB free, BG:EE will NOT update at all. I find it hard to believe that the new update raises the amount of space it uses from 1.9GB to over 5GB. Is there anything else I can do, aside from wiping out my iPad, to get BG:EE updated?

Comments

• SleakaJSleakaJ Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    You have to allow about twice the size of the file for the update which is approx 3.8Gb, not 5Gb.

Or you could plug the iPad into iTunes (letting iTunes download it first) and let it do the update for you. You won't need 3.8Gb free that way.
  • 3thereal3thereal Member Posts: 2
    SleakaJ said:

You have to allow about twice the size of the file for the update which is approx 3.8Gb, not 5Gb.

Or you could plug the iPad into iTunes (letting iTunes download it first) and let it do the update for you. You won't need 3.8Gb free that way.

Thanks, didn't know I could do it that way, I'll give that a shot!
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Yea, it's been posted in a couple other threads also, but I'll re-iterate here.

The reason for the doubling the size (not quite double) is that when installing directly to the iPad you need the room to download the application, which is in a compressed format, and then to uncompress the application for installation...this means you need approximately twice the size of the app to update.

If you do this through iTunes, iTunes will download the application to your local harddrive (again, compressed) and then (at sync) uncompress it and push the files up line over the top of your current installation to install...meaning you need NO extra space on your device to do it this way (assuming file sizes haven't changed/grown with the patch).

--Illydth