Skip to content

What's your favorite place?

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
Baldur's Gate and its sequel contain a myriad of locations, from bustling cities to distant wilderness to entirely different planes of existence. I'm interested in hearing what your favorite place in the Baldur's Gate saga is.

Comments

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    hard to pick one really, maybe the gnoll forterest for some reason i liked the architecture
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Beregost for sure
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Baldur's Gate ... ;)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The Copper Coronet. That place has it all. A few quests, a few joinable NPCs, a hidden exit, gambling, a pervy elf who hits on all the females in your party - it's a regular festival of variety.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's actually silly - the hut in High Hedge. I actually used it as a base of operations several time. Close to the best merchant in the game (maybe second only to Sorcerous Sundries), has a container and enough space to keep some NPCs there. And it's cozzy :3
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Baldur's Gate! Or for some reason I really enjoyed the Government District in Athkatla as well.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    In BG1, the Coast, the Est and South Est of the map. A lot of content there
    In BG2, the underdark, the pirate island and anywhere I can fight vampires.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited July 2012
    BG1: Tough one, maybe Durlag's Tower. Tragic story, creepy atmosphere, weird puzzles.

BG2: Ust Natha for sure. Forced to infiltrate a completely alien culture and getting involved in political intrigues I(my character) barely understand? Brilliant.
  • XenowarXenowar Member Posts: 21
    In BG2 I love the city. Waukeen's promenade, etc.
    It just has such a great atmosphere.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    BG 1? Probably Cloakwood Mines, such a well designed and challenging dungeon with a satisfyingly epic final boss.

BG 2... The underwater city just prior to the Underdark
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    BG1 - Cloakwood and Baldur's Gate
    BG2 - The Underdark, Ust Natha and Suldanesselar
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I thought the Sphere was a cool stronghold for a mage the first time I played through. The quests associated with it were interesting and challenging, not to mention you got to travel to a different plane. It also had many chests in which I could hoard my loot.

In BGI the Cloakwood was spooky and difficult the first time play through. Those sword spiders and poison were wicked. It was genuinely tough to make it through. The Friendly Arm Inn was a great refuge. Favorite town would be Berghost, it had a bit of everything.

I'd say BG I needs some new wilderness areas, there is still empty space on the map! ;)
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    BG1: For sheer cosyness, I prefer the outdoor areas accompanied by that ol' familiar and oh-so peaceful tune. For sheer epicness, easily Durlag's Tower - specifically love the chessboard (even if the fight there could have been handled abit better than a simple slaughterfest)

BG2: The druid grove is groovy and the music is soothing. And for awesomeness I'll go with the big ol' expansion dungeon once more: watcher's keep.

Torment: Had to add this, since the game has so many awesome environs like the civic festhall of the sensates, the brothel of slating intellectual lust (I heart Luis the wooden pervert), the Godsmen's foundry etc. fantastic ambiance of almost every area of the game really...
  • skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24
    in bg1 it would definitely be baldurs gate :)

but for bg2 I always loved trademeet
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    BG1: Baldur's Gate
    BG2: Brynnlaw *hums tune*
  • CrynusCrynus Member Posts: 17
    BG1 - Beregost, great little village and central hub to everything

BG2 - Temple Ruins before you clear out the Shade Lord
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    BG1: Beregost!
    BG2: I really liked the pirate island, but I haven't played BG2 (I prefer BG) enough to get a good grasp on locations
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    BG1: Gullykin, and the ice maze

BG2: Favorite place by far is the docks.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The city of Baldur's Gate and Durlag's Tower.
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Any place that's not Irenicus' dungeon or Saradush. I hate those two places with a passion. I did like the feel of Athkatla, they managed to give it the look/feel/sound of a bustling city without having a crapton of NPCs running around and lagging out my poor ancient computer.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Great question. That is very tough. I like the Friendly Arm Inn. It was always nice to see it after battling through gibberlings with just Imoen on my side. BG2, I'd go with The Copper Coronet.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    BG: The spider area in Cloakwood forest is always fun.
    BG2: The Ducal Palace where you have the tutorial, as it reminds me of my wonder at playing BG for the first time. After that I'd say Ust Natha for similar reasons.
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    Bg 1: Friendly Arm Inn
    Bg 2: Docks
  • DentzDentz Member Posts: 1
    Beregost
  • SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    i loved the bridge area of Amkathla in BG2. what at first seems like one of the most uneventful and straightforward districts has a few great surprises and quests. the playhouse, the Wish quest, those back alley fallen paladin dudes, the hidden balcony that leads to the wizard's hideout in the sewers, the mansion (which i always cleared out and adopted as my alternate stronghold), and especially the hidden door to secret boss encounter (the council of evil guys with an infuriating amount of spellpower at their disposal). it really is the mundane district that turned into a gem once youve advanced far enough into quests from other districts.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    To answer my own question: in BG1 I'd say Gullykin, simply because it gave me such a sense of scale from the game (there wasn't even much to do there). I haven't played through the second part yet.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    I'd have to say the temple district, out of BG2, AWSOME architecture. And i'd say the final battle area of BG1, just for the atmosphere!
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Sticking to the first game, I would say my favorite place to go was Durlag's Tower. The city of Baldur's Gate would be my favorite city to hang out in. Plenty of things to do and see.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Durlag's Tower.
    If this was a PnP game, I'd clear out all the bad guys and raise my flag at the top floor. MY tower! It was so awesome.
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    BG1: Candlekeep because it was so cool the first time I saw it.
    BG2: Trademeet because it's a pretty big town and you can have your statue erected there.