Skip to content

Is The Witcher 2 the best mature modern RPG ?

2»

Comments

• VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Geral inst a hero, he is just a dude making a living.

I dint like the witcher very much, but i REALLY love the witcher 2
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    both Witchers are absolutely fabulous games, but i prefer party based wrpgs more, so i would say no, and go with KOTOR or Mass Effect 1.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    @Vittordevitto I completely agree and that is why Geralt is to me one of the very few interesting game protagonists.
  • zwadekzwadek Member Posts: 156
    the first Witcher really wasn't that good gameplay-wise, but it certainly had really good story and convincing world adapted from novels. But we should remember that studio that created Witcher didn't have a large budget. After making some oney the make the sequel really shine. Fights were really both demanding and rewarding by requiring some tactical preparations. Story was well writen and dialogues were really interesting.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The witcher +TW2 are aimed pretty much directly at me as it's core audience, and I've played both, but I really didn't enjoy the gameplay :/

Story is good though
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

People who aren't looking past sex in Witcher series are just plain stupid. Without single exception. Sorry for the harsh words, but there is much more to this game and nothing is justifying ignorance.

The irony in this statement is baffling.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,177
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/05/the-witcher-3-is-official
    Wooooooooooooot
    Pecca said:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/05/the-witcher-3-is-official

Moar sex and stereotypical grimdark for everyone, wooohooo!

Btw, IGN sucks quite badly. *coughMassEffect3cough*
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I don't like the serie either, although I haven't given it a fair chance to be honest, but what makes Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age less stereotypical? ;)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

There's no sex like Grimdark Sex.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,177

Btw, IGN sucks quite badly. *coughMassEffect3cough*

Don't like it, don't play it. I don't understand the negativity...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    I'm not the one obssesed about sex in videogames here. But whoa, I'm being to difficult to understand apparently.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I've never really understood what is remarkable about it. They are enjoyable games but I don't understand what people find so unique about it.

It is pretty representative of the whole dark/gritty thing we do with the fantasy genre these days. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    LukevanV said:

I don't like the serie either, although I haven't given it a fair chance to be honest, but what makes Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age less stereotypical? ;)

And what actually is stereotype? Witcher´s main story was about political intrigues. In real life, THAT is certainly more stereotype. But in games, Dragon Age is far more steretypical, with main story being Lord of the Rings all over again. I would put BG somewhere between them.

And the way the story or the romances were told, Witcher was far more mature than Dragon Age. In Witcher, Geralt is actually discussing something with Triss. In Dragon Age you are looking for sparkling presents to fill some indicator so you can watch sex scene. One cannot help himself not thinking about Sims.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I've never really understood what is remarkable about it. They are enjoyable games but I don't understand what people find so unique about it.

It is pretty representative of the whole dark/gritty thing we do with the fantasy genre these days. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

I don't know, it seems to me that the majority of RPGs being made these days are still High Fantasy, hero-saves-the-country/world sort of games. Even games that give you the option of being acting evil tend to promote being good, and the central plotline tends to revolve around stopping some massive evil threat, so even if you act evil throughout the game, you still end up doing more good than bad.

I've never played the Witcher, so I can't comment on whether it is or isn't any of these things, just saying that 'gritty' RPGs are still far from the norm, at least in my experience.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    edited February 2013
    @TJ_Hooker I never finished Witcher 2, but no matter what you do in Witcher you end up saving the day from (unintentionally hilarious) calamity.

And that's okay, Dragon Age does the same thing. I just don't believe the Witcher series is revolutionary or to get back on topic, the best mature, modern rpg.

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    I'm not the one obssesed about sex in videogames here. But whoa, I'm being to difficult to understand apparently.

For your information: I totally don't give a frak about sex in games. Totally. I'd rather wish there wasn't any sex in games at all. I just think that in some cases, women were still presented wrongly in the Witcher games. But hey, apparently all you can do is narrowmindedly and wrongly generalize me as part of the sex-obsessed fanbase when it comes to games. Maybe it's just the fact that playing the Witcher games from a female perspective can be different than from a male one. But hey, who am I to talk, eh. I'm just a female gamer representing a so-called 'minority' of the gaming community.

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

For your information: I totally don't give a frak about sex in games. Totally. I'd rather wish there wasn't any sex in games at all. I just think that in some cases, women were still presented wrongly in the Witcher games. But hey, apparently all you can do is narrowmindedly and wrongly generalize me as part of the sex-obsessed fanbase when it comes to games. Maybe it's just the fact that playing the Witcher games from a female perspective can be different than from a male one. But hey, who am I to talk, eh. I'm just a female gamer representing a so-called 'minority' of the gaming community.

Why they are represented "wrongly" in the game?

We have hookers, lesbian, ninfomaniacs and so on in Real Life.

Truth be told, there are many more of those than princess in distress.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

So, thinking that women are presented wrongly is an excuse to calling me ignorant for no reason? Get real, woman. As stated before, there are plenty hookers, lesbians, nymphos or plain whores in real life. And had you read any novels regarding the Witcher franchise, you would know that if you put away every fantasty-elements from world presented in the books, you'll see world awfully similar to our real one. There is no reason to present The Witcher games differently than The Witcher books do. Either understand that or seek attention somewhere else. You can also educate yourself in the topic, but I'm not nearly naive enough to think you do that.