Skip to content

Degrodel just disappear

FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
edited November 2013 in Fixed
I don't know if this is intended or not, but I'll report it as a bug since I think it's lame the way it currently works.

When turning in 'Helm of Balduran' for Degrodel he disappear instantly.

This is not fine, if I play a backstabbing no-gooder I should be able to turn in the quest and then be able to try to kill him for the helm.

The fact that he is just gone is quite immersion breaking too, he could drink a invis. potion, cast invis, cast dimension door, invis. contegency (I don't know his level he probably ain't high enough for contegency).
Just something that can be believable.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    When you say 'just disappear' does he dimension door out? Because that is normal. He has always done that after getting the Helm.

Merely talking to him (after you have his quest) with the Helm in your possession will cause him to seize it, say some parting words, leave you with some fighting 'servants' and dimension door out.

Of course it's cheesy... but you can always cheese him back. Talk to him and then in the short interim, kill him before he teleports out. You will get the Helm back and exp and gold and a nice little fight :)

It's not a bug afaik unless his disappearance is literally instantaneous...

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    For me it was instantly after the dialogue ended, no dimension door or anything, just *gone*.
    edited February 2013
    Freche said:

For me it was instantly after the dialogue ended, no dimension door or anything, just *gone*.

I haven't run across him yet with the new patch...I'll have to try and old save and see. But that seems like a bug. You should always be allowed some time, however brief, to steal the Helm back if that's what you want to do...

Edit: @Freche can you attach a save file just before you meet Degrodel with the Helm?

There is the save, I also included a Weidu log, though it's not many mods.
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited February 2013
    He disappears without dimension door, but I can kill him with your savegame, you have about eight seconds for kill him.

Edit: I have not mods. Maybe it is the cause.
    JTM
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    Freche said:

The fact that he is just gone is quite immersion breaking too, he could drink a invis. potion, cast invis, cast dimension door, invis. contegency (I don't know his level he probably ain't high enough for contegency). Just something that can be believable.

It isn't a bug. He is a mage, so he is supposed to be able to teleport.

He can still be killed (tested in v2012). You must be quick however. It helps if you surround him with your party members before speaking to him. If you can, try also to lay some traps before talking to him. As soon as you are done with the dialogue, pause the game and give the order to attack (weapons, spells, etc.) to every party member. If you are playing solo, it would be more difficult but still doable.
    JTM
    Tested also without mods and was able to kill him as @DarKelP and @Erg did. There were a couple of seconds where I was able to accomplish this. Everything appears normal so far but... I'll install the mods later and give it a try, but I suspect the result will be the same.

I use a similar method like @Erg uses to kill Degrodel. He goes down pretty quick with everyone wailing on him. What I also like to do is use the Wand of Monster Summoning and put them between you and the area where Degrodel summons some friends. It will give you a little buffer and time since you can't really attend to them while your attacking Degrodel.

Then I apologize, when creating the topic I didn't think any mod would cause this issue.
    Freche said:

Then I apologize, when creating the topic I didn't think any mod would cause this issue.

It's okay Freche, I just finished playing your save game with the same mods installed and it works like normal. The mods are not affecting or changing his behavior in my playthrough of your save. Degrodel hangs around for a very short bit and then he cheesily disappears as normal.

Your party is quite powerful enough to just just regular force attack him after dialogue is finished and he'll go down fairly quick. You only have several seconds, but it's plenty of time...

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    He isn't teleporting he is just leaving the area (EscapeArea()). I've also experienced this problem when they just disappear without walking away and trying to find an exit.
  • Vikn01Vikn01 Member Posts: 1
    I was reading this as I successfully killed him on my 10th attempt. He does disappear. I had to use wand of monster summon to distract his minions in the corner, wand of paralysis to hold him cuz he goes in 5 seconds. While everyone else was fighting all the very powerful minions just downing health potions and spells, Edwin was slowly alternating killing him and paralyzing him. Didnt get the minions, just looted and got the hell out of there.