Skip to content

Establish a REAL shortage and harder difficulty

FavreFavre Member Posts: 33
Hey guys,

If i have to suggest something for the incoming BG:EE. I would like to feel a real iron shortage on the sword coast.
- Make magical items more rare
- Magical items in shops insanely expensive.
- Make the iron items more likely to break (including armors)
- Make the ennemies tougher and harder. I want real fights.

I want the game to make me think twice before engaging an ennemy. Because we all know we can plow trough the original BG whitout too much strategy.

In other words, I want a good challenge. Something that will make me see another way to play this game
GrumpwagonWinthalDukeOfSuffolkMoomintrollg314NecdilzorKen

Comments

• GrumpwagonGrumpwagon Member Posts: 25
    I kind of like this. It could tie in with the custom difficulty checkbox menu idea that's been floating around.
    catheraaine
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think that those changes would be nice on higher difficulty settings only. BG:EE is also for new players, not only the hardcore BG fans.
    mch202The_New_RomanceseekaDukeOfSuffolk
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    But even with enemies, their stuff should also be subject to the same shortage. Can't have their stuff survive any better than ours. I especially like the idea about breaking armor @favre.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I agree, specially with:

- Make magical items more rare
    - Magical items in shops insanely expensive.

it will add more value to your gold... but as @ZelgadisGW said, If implemented, only as an high difficulty feature. BG1 is hard enough to for new players anyway.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Perhaps someone knows, I can't remember. Did non party iron weapons every break? I can't remember a party of kobolds ever ineffectually flailing at me with their paws due to dodgy iron.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

Perhaps someone knows, I can't remember. Did non party iron weapons every break? I can't remember a party of kobolds ever ineffectually flailing at me with their paws due to dodgy iron.

As far as I know, they didn't. And everyone was running around in metal armour, even though it was told that bandits would quickly kill you for one those days. It's not very consistent.

I'd love it if the atmosphere of an upcoming war and the iron shortage's consequences were more pronounced. Some random commoner comments and the odd broken axe just don't quite cut it. I don't know, though, if Beamdog are allowed to tinker with that as it's pretty much part of the old package.

AntonMoomintrollcatheraaine
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I'd vote for this too - perhaps even expand on the above with DLC/addon?. There was a mod (apologies forgot name) that allowed you to take something to Thalantyr and Taerom regarding the iron crisis. I'd love for that to be expanded on as it stands to reason that the mayor of Nashkel/Beregost would want to solve the problem. Perhaps even introduce a quest (where you study under the above 2 citizens) that gives you access to a mini stronghold/forge to practice weaponsmithing, armoursmithing and bowyer/fletcher skills?.

In the short-term it would encourage players to roleplay more by using wooden weapons, and in the long-term allow for that gradual power gain over the course of the game that doesn't involve hoarding everything for gold > magic gear.

*Spoiler below*

I've even got a method to prevent new weapons from being contaminatede by the corrosive properties of the bad iron - new weapons need to be quenched/tempered in Terrasque blood...

dandy
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    This would be cool except for the fact that if you've made it out of candlekeep at least once you will carry a large supply of ranged weaponry until the point you start getting your +1 weaponry at which point the iron crisis become pointless as your weapons and armor will not break.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    There must be iron from before the crisis that is still ok to use, though I'd guess you wouldn't know it.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Am I the only one that has a hard time playing in moderate? I feel ashamed D:
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The game is fairly brutal as is to a new player: your weapons break often, you will run out of spells constantly and be glad you get an autosave if you get waylaid by anything greater than Xvarts.

Any mage with more than 5 levels can 1shot your non-Fighter character with one Magic Missile shot.

This game wants to ATTRACT new players not make them need to read walkthroughs just to get started.
    Shouldn't feel ashamed as a first time player to the game or someone new to DnD will have semi difficult time to begin with.
    I had to restart like 3 times BG1 because I did a lot of things wrong, I won the game but I still don't get what 3D12 and the like means and I still need to learn a lot of things more. I liked the challenge though, that hooked me to keep playing! :D
    1D12 simplified for this game would be "1" 12 sided die which is essentially the number can be anything between 1 and 12. A 3d12 would be "3" 12 sided dice so the number is essentially anything between 3 and 36.
    Necdilzor

1D12 simplified for this game would be "1" 12 sided die which is essentially the number can be anything between 1 and 12. A 3d12 would be "3" 12 sided dice so the number is essentially anything between 3 and 36.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's way simpler than what I thought xD Thank you a lot!

• catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    Dazzu said:

The game is fairly brutal as is to a new player: your weapons break often, you will run out of spells constantly and be glad you get an autosave if you get waylaid by anything greater than Xvarts.

Any mage with more than 5 levels can 1shot your non-Fighter character with one Magic Missile shot.

This game wants to ATTRACT new players not make them need to read walkthroughs just to get started.

I have an addiction to the Q button. I don't think I go more than 15 seconds without saving.
    Ken
  • FavreFavre Member Posts: 33
    I understand one of the goal is to catch new players to the bg franchise but i just found all the new rpg since few years ago a way too easy and non-consistent.

My point is : For all the players who went through bg1 and 2 several times and know exactly what to do and how to do it, give us a big challenge. Bring me back that (OMG/ Oh snap/ Uh oh) sensation.

I don't want to be over whit that new release only a couple of hours just after i bough it. I want to reload, i want hard and though challenge. I want the feeling that every gold pieces count and one bad descision could make it directly harder to continue.

One of the rpg i had for a relief was Demon Souls/ Dark Souls. I was like: FINALY SOMETHING TO DEAL WHIT!

Give a little bit of demon Souls and dark souls to BG. If you make a mistake, you gonna regret it.

I think BG:EE need that for experienced players and long time bg fans.

Original BG is enough easy as it is. I can solo the game on insane whit almost any class. I don't want to be able to do the same thing that easily on BG:EE