Skip to content

The inexplicably steep levelling curve of druids

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
Ok, this probably won't be much of a problem in BG1, but what about 2?
This can be a seriously offputting reason to play a druid, and the class itself isn't any more powerful than any other classes.
Is any rebalancing of the xp curve at higher levels planned?

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    I don't see a reason they couldn't make this standard, to be honest. P&P druids are set up that way because you're advancing through druidic circles, but we barely see [i]any[/i] of that in BG.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I always use the Cleric progression instead. The Druid one is interesting and good for dual classing but ultimately it falls behind a lot later giving druids less THAC0 etc. than clerics (who already are better warriors due to their buffing spells).
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    It's a common problem for lot of class in 2e edition, compare how the warrior is left behind the mage at higherlevel just for fun
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The XP curve is from the Pen & Paper rules. A Druid actualy had to kill the druids that held that level to advance... Some levels could have only 1 Druid of that level in the entire world...

Sorry for not giving any details, my 2nd edition rules have rusted in my brain :)

I agree that on computer game it makes no sense at all...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The only reason I love druids is in fact their elemental summoning high level abilities. Damn those are tough bastards to take down in battle! Good thing they are on your side!

Other than that, I think Cleric is in every way better, even more so Ranger/Cleric which gets druid spells anyway (Iron Skins FTW)
    Talking about Ranger/clerics, did they fix the bug that gave them all divine spells from cleric and druid list?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @mlnevese

I think most people want that bug still in the game, otherwise Ranger/Cleric would lose its biggest advantage and be relegated to a Fighter/Cleric that levels slower.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    mlnevese said:

The XP curve is from the Pen & Paper rules. A Druid actualy had to kill the druids that held that level to advance... Some levels could have only 1 Druid of that level in the entire world...

Sorry for not giving any details, my 2nd edition rules have rusted in my brain :)

I agree that on computer game it makes no sense at all...

Not kill, but defeat, which is not the same thing. You could just knock them down to 0 hp or knock them out, and not have to kill them. The loser loses a level and the winner retains theirs.
    I wonder how vengeful a defeated druid would become...
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    A little off-topic, but if there arent any class kit balancing for BG1, then you would theoretically be able to create a Druid with the spirit animals and solo any fight through BG1 cuz theyre OP.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There's a mod that alters the druid progression, with some choices as to what you'd like it to be. If that's not enough it's rather easy to just edit the 2da to whatever you think is suitable in your game.