Skip to content

Character Names and Bio's

Hey guys, I've just started a multiplayer play group that's going to play twice a month, 2 hours a day (we still have 2 slots if interested!!!) we're getting started this week. I've always gone with empty bio's or pre-cooked bio's, and reused the same few names, from game to game.

Since I'll be in a group this time, I wanted to create something new. I really like the idea of a Dwarf Cleric, but I'm ok with something else too if someone has a better, more unique, fun idea.

We're not really a roleplaying-group, but I just want to have something better for a name, and a bio, this time around; consider it a start in that direction.

Does anyone have any suggestions for generating/picking a unique name, besides all these crazy random name generators that make it look like it came out of a generator?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for tools, or resources, or just general ideas of how to start writing a bio...I'm hitting that writer's blank, and usually, this is where role-playing always seems to fail and fall short in my head. I'm just not "forcibly" creative to get started usually.

I can be spontaneously creative; kind of like improv role-playing or comedy, I can get a feel of what's going on around me and dive in, but prepping up front, I always get lost.

Help? Suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You could read about your race of choice on the Forgotten Realms wiki, get a feeling for their naming conventions and see what deities are worshipped in the region your character comes from. From there, you have some basics to build on - why they chose to worship this deity, what motivated them to become a cleric, how life was in their homeland and how they view other races/regions.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I can be spontaneously creative; kind of like improv role-playing or comedy, I can get a feel of what's going on around me and dive in, but prepping up front, I always get lost.

There's no reason at all why you can't do this when you're writing. Just write what comes to mind and figure out the specifics later. :)

What helps some writers is writing what's called a "zero-draft," where you sit and write all of your thoughts and ideas in a one-shot essay or paragraph. Even if they're a mess, it's a good starting point, and it can help map out where you want to go with your character.

@KidCarnival 's suggestion can help get a feel for the world you're trying to build, and then take those ideas and quickly write a zero-draft to see where your mind is going with this.

As for character names, again, the research will help you out the most for getting an idea of what the name should sound like. For my dwarf character I came up with her first name myself and then gave her a last name that described some of her physical features (Wolfmane, for her flowing dreadlocks in her portrait :P). Other fantasy universes tend to name their dwarves based on a courageous deed they performed (Oakshield from The Hobbit comes to mind), but in the end, it's entirely up to you how you want to name your character.

Hope that helps! :)
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    I usually dig through Old Norse mythology on Wikipedia etc for names and story backgrounds for roleplaying purposes. Most high fantasy is derived from it so...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    There is a chart to construct Dwarven Stronghold names in the Complete Book of Dwarves from TSR for 2e. I remember rolling up a Dwarven Stronghold named Dorinnorifik. But for personal names, choose something short for the first name, and an authentically Dwarven surname is: (thing, possibly adjective) (thing). Stuff like Runehammer, Stonefist, Rockpick, stuff like that. You can't go wrong with Crafting or mining implements. Diamondforge, Stonebreaker...

Balic Hammerspike
    Deina Foehammer
    Dain Forgefinder
    Garic Orckiller
    Alina Hearthforge
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Other ideas are...
    Alehammer
    Axebeer
    Battleforge
    Battleguard
    Bloodhammer
    Boatmurdered
    Blackanvil
    Bronzebeard
    Dirgehammer
    Hearthhammer
    Palehammer
    Thundergranite

Majority come from Dwarf Fortress or WarCraft, I admit. D:
    There are also some generators in Races of Stone, for 3rd Edition D&D.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Sandyfinger?
  • codencrazycodencrazy Member Posts: 11
    Nice, thanks for all the suggestions folk. I ended up going with a Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric called Kendar.
  • codencrazycodencrazy Member Posts: 11
    Some patches for multiplayer finally too!!

* Players able to raise each other at temples (Multiplayer)

Should be particularly useful to us!