Skip to content

I just noticed (after many years) Irenicus makes a sideshow in BG 1

helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
I just killed the Spider "Queen" in the Cloakwood. It has been many years since I last played BG 1 so in this run I am reading all the dialogues, not just clicking them. The thing is that I asked her how she had become into that nasty form, and she told me she had been cursed by the Archmage Jon Irenicus to stay like that because she offended Jon Irenicus and his wife (¡¡¡).

Comments

• DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Hang on you can actually talk to the spider queen beyond the first dialogue option? and you mean to tell me its a she!? ive been playing baldurs gate sense 1998 and i never realized i thought it was just some fat guy playing god, I guess when i think on it ive basically always picked the most hostile response when dealing with her, which immediatly leads to being attacked, that or years of alcohol have taken a bigger toll on my brain than i would like to think.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    I sort of like that she said "Icarus" in the original game instead of Irenicus. She seems to be sort of demented that way, with a kind of foggy memory of things human.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Well yeah, she is the one who killed Irenicus wife if I am correct.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Afaik she used to say "Jon Icarus", because that was what Jon Irenicus was called at that time. They changed the name later in the development cycle. A nice detail that the EE fixed it ;)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    IkMarc said:

Nah, you meet Ellesime at the end of BG2 SoA.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

Afaik she used to say "Jon Icarus", because that was what Jon Irenicus was called at that time. They changed the name later in the development cycle. A nice detail that the EE fixed it ;)

Kinda glad that they did since the name Icarus is bit too on the nose.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Also casting charm person on her gets some additional dialogue. This also goes for Dynaheir when u first meet her.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Also casting charm person on her gets some additional dialogue. This also goes for Dynaheir when u first meet her.

This didn't work anymore when EE was released (used to work in BG1, but not Tutu afaik), but they did say they were looking into restoring that functionality. Have they gotten around to it by now?
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Good find.

I would never have thought "Charm Person" would work on that ... thing.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2013

This didn't work anymore when EE was released (used to work in BG1, but not Tutu afaik), but they did say they were looking into restoring that functionality. Have they gotten around to it by now?

It still isn't fixed?:( Bah. Being able to charm some of the npcs and see that unique dialogue is (to me) one of the main reasons why I'd play EE over Tutu. Really hope this gets sorted by devs or some mod eventually.

Very insigtful thread btw!

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Nifft said:

IkMarc said:

Nah, you meet Ellesime at the end of BG2 SoA.
    Still his actual wife was killed, no?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited February 2013

I'm pretty sure it works on EE since the beginning :p
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160

I'm pretty sure it works on EE since the beginning :p
    Is there like a list of NPCs where this would work? I never knew about this until recently, and I'm dying of curiosity now.

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Lemernis said:

I sort of like that she said "Icarus" in the original game instead of Irenicus. She seems to be sort of demented that way, with a kind of foggy memory of things human.

You could always say that Irenicus is just a corrupted version of Icarus, one which he earned for his crimes and signifies his status as an exile.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Would be cool if anyone could post some of the additional information that charm gives you?
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Coutelier Thanks a lot!
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Fenghoang said:

Is there like a list of NPCs where this would work? I never knew about this until recently, and I'm dying of curiosity now.

@Jalily mentioned a few in this thread ( http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14769/non-combat-use-of-charm-person#latest ) and also mentions that most are bugged.
    She said she would make a full list when they're all fixed.

• Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Tanova... is that not a vampire in BG II? I think you encounter her in Bodhi's lair...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @Jared4242 Yes, you have to fight a Tanova in Bodhi's lair if you side with the Shadow Thieves in chapter 3. She's in the narrow pathway leading into the trapped "room of bleeding" where you have your final fight with Lassal.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Maybe Irenicus raised her dead body as a vamp and... "she came back 'wrong' ".
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Has it ever been confirmed that they are the same character? I assume it would be (it's unlikely to be a cooincidence).
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Could have been Bhodi. Raising your brother's dead wife as a vampiric thrall seems right up her alley. Irenicus has a weird concept of love anyway, given that he had something going on with Ellesime as well.

Of course, given that she refers to him AS Jon Irenicus indicates this happened post him getting kicked out of Suldanessellar, so he probably cared for her about as much as he cares about anything. He was probably more infuriated that she broke something of his than any sense of grief for his wife.
  • That's a good point. Irenicus is a name he took after being exiled. Tanova was likely a futile attempt to hold on to his ability to have emotional attachments.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    edited February 2013
    When NPC project gets finished for EE (or play the old game) try talking to her with Xan in your party, pretty cool stuff.

And I think Jon cared very much for his dead wife. Most of his experiments seem to be in trying to bring her back, thus all the clones and mutants in tanks.