Skip to content

**Potential Spoilers** What would you like to see in Baldur's Gate III?

124»

Comments

• Slit518Slit518 Member Posts: 16
    It doesn't matter to me either way. I could play happily at Godhood with said character carried over after ToB or I could stat fresh, at level 1 with the bastard child of said character from ToB. Either way, I am sure I'd have fun as long as the game had the charm of the first two.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    A lot of sequels depower their heroes:

Megaman always loses his weapons, and even once forgot how to slide and charge shots.

Why can't CHARNAME wake up one day back at 0 Xp?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Dazzu said:

A lot of sequels depower their heroes:

Megaman always loses his weapons, and even once forgot how to slide and charge shots.

Why can't CHARNAME wake up one day back at 0 Xp?

I have no problem with this, provided the reason behind losing all XP is explained adequately.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    While I understand the desire to stay as the same protagonist in BG3, I just don't see how that's going to be a fun game.

1 -- It will turn off new players. People who've never played BG games before, or DnD games simply aren't going to be able to handle Illasera-level fights at the beginning of a game.
    2 -- It will be tedious. Every fight would have to be some ToB level mega encounter. In the DnD world where do you after dragons, demons, and liches?
    3 -- It won't work with the new rules. Personally I'd rather BG3 be another 2e rules game. I know that won't happen. The new rules system means character generation is radically different in later editions compared with 2e. Abilities and stats simply won't import well, but even if they did...
    4 -- It won't be balanced. The amount of inherent boosts, stats, and other things from BG1, BG2, and ToB are simply going to make importing a character so much more imbalanced versus making a new character. Another turn off for new players.
    5 -- It will be less fun. DnD rules don't really offer much improvement to classes beyond level 20. Each new level is marginal at best.

So, in such a game, the monsters will be static, the leveling will be static. There will be little sense of progression. Not to mention new players will have a hell of a time figuring out how disarm high-level wizards and other casters.

I think it almost HAS to start at level 1, or at the very least at lower level than ToB. Whether it's the main char reset to zero or some new hero, to me seems to not matter.

The recommendation bringing back old characters and places is spot on however.
    I want to fight some Tarrasques and Tarrasque like monsters. I mean like a 2nd edition Tarrasque type monster, with 150% magic resistance.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    -New classes.
    -New races and sub-races.
    -Different endings.
    -Third Edition rules.
    -Enhanced Infinity Engine.
  • ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    It's a tough challenge to come up with a way to include/reference favorite characters while having a new plot and at the same time add new style options for gameplay while retaining the basic feel. I guess gameplay styles will have to change when using a different rule set.

A prequel plot could be during and/or just after the "time of troubles" with you following clues to figure out what's really going on and eventually getting CHARNAME and Imoen to Candlekeep.

If it's a sequel, you could be surrounded by religious conflicts around the Sword Coast as new temples go up to an ascended Abdel in a region greatly changed from all the destruction. Your thread in the middle of all of this could have to do with accidentally encountering relics Abdel left near his stronghold (your hometown) at the De'Arnise Hold, which is becoming a holy site to the new cult of Bhaal/CHARNAME. But then somehow it turns out you have a mysterious and important connection to both the new god and the relics. Maybe that crazy old witch-lady "Immy" could help you figure it out...
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I have the best suggestion EVER...but I feel I need some information first;

I always seen the BG saga as a separate piece of history, but I am slowly understanding that it takes place in a continuum of events.
    Where can I find information on what is actually going on in this part of the "world" around the setting of BG?
    I guess that could severely affect what could/could not happen.
    please inform me and I will give the finite answer.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Lindeblom -
    Aside from buying (or otherwise... acquiring...) the sourcebooks themselves, the Forgotten Realms wiki might be a good place to start.
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    There seems to be two main streams of thought in this thread Godhood and beginning at level 1. Why not combine the two?

I'm pretty sure I have read that they would like to make their own ruleset if they made a new game never played pnp so not sure if their are many rules for playing as a demi-god or higher. Not quite sure what the plot could be. Maybe exploring the planes, establishing yourself as a major god, people/beings coming after your power and for the chaotic power hungry charname, now they have exceeded world domination, maybe challenging for dominance over the planes or all Gods or even higher aspirations are within their reach.

Major global catastrophes seem like a good time for a new god to rise led of course by small cults started by former companions who may still be alive depending on timing and race and could fit well into whatever canon dnd event happens at the time.
    Hmmmm... a level 1 God, I kind of understand the idea. Would the final establishment be that (charname) finally takes over the throne on whatever plane of existence it is?
    I guess though my Charname is hoping he can have more than one ....
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I vote level 1 Deity... I think that'd be amazing, where you can ally yourself with gods depending on alignement and race (Elf pantheons etc...). I guess I just feel that the character I've played as isn't done growing and finding new things to become.

I think if it's BG, it needs to continue the story of CHARNAME. I think if it's going to be a totally new game, I might play it, but I'd hope they would call it something other than "BG3"
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    I would like to see Baldur's Gate III continue the story of TOB. Yes, it's been previously said that TOB was the final game to that storyline. But honestly, if a GM made me the new God of Murder in a D&D game then my goal with that character from then on out would be to kill all of the other gods. Cyric killed Bhaal, so obviously gods can die, it's just hard as hell. I've always felt that I had to push a character farther and farther until they were the top. Baldur's Gate kind of just pushes you to be the top quicker then most D&D campaigns. It has you kill other bhaalspawn that you classified the same as you and become the last one alive (minus Sarevok and Imoen but they're ok, they can stay (: ). You become a god, why can't you kill the rest of them? If you're a good character then you'd the end of your story would be something like you spend every moment from then on helping the planes in small good ways. If you're neutral you spend your time balancing the power of each city and nation in wars. If you're evil then you spend it walking through cities killing all in site (the epilogue story would likely end with you being slain by a great hero after a couple hundred years).
    edited February 2013
    @Remenissions thats exactly what my pc wants to do. Maybe after killing a god you could choose to hand over the portfolio to a previous companion (Can you do this lore wise?) or take it for yourself to become even more powerful.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Wild

Doubt it'll happen, but that doesn't stop me from totally wanting that to be a thing. Kill Gruumsh and give his power to Dorn, have Viconia take over Lloth's rule... good times.
    What if as a God you had the power to create heroes to send down to the realms below and do your bidding?
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    Assuming the game follows from BG2:EE and the three BG:EE characters are romanceable....

Non-imported games would have a set decision; as Abdel/CHARNAME was a neutral character, they succeed in their ascension to godhood as a neutral god, preferring to have no dealings with the realm in his physical form. As a 'canon' male, CHARNAME would select an avatar (new CHARNAME, level 1 [RACE,CLASS] restricted to neutral alignment] with alignment restrictions lifted and/or kits added in order to compensate for them. The Avatar is aware of his status as the Druid of CHARNAME, Planewalker of CHARNAME, etc., and would ultimately be tasked with preventing a calamity/creating one (depending on your choices; you would get to make these interactions based on reputation/interaction with godCHARNAME during dreams and storyline). At pivotal points in the game, your character alignment would shift from True Neutral to Lawful/Chaotic in one quest chain and Good/Evil in another, or you can remain True Neutral. Choosing to become good or evil results in your defecting from your god's wish of balance, and he becomes the ultimate final boss, otherwise final boss is [SCHEMER NPC]

Imported games would have the decision made by old CHARNAME and would create minor differences. Either you decide to be Mortal and you become the character you play, free to choose your own destiny but stripped of any Bhaalspawn powers you acquired (and subsequently, memories of some key events, such as the reveal or doings that would have been otherwise impossible without Bhaalspawn blood), justifying your level 1 character through 'falling from the divine to choose your path as a [RACE] free from the artistry of the hands of Fate.'

All characters who chose to become mortal would have forgotten the birth of their child, but the romance would be remembered since they were not the doings of your Bhaalspawn blood.

Good characters are restricted to good decisions up to the point of the Good/Evil chain, in which selecting the evil option results in a minor-evil deed, converting [x]-Good to [x]-Neutral; vice-versa for evil. Neutral characters can perform either task. The final boss is [SCHEMER NPC]. Your character will once again learn new skills through dreams, but they will be based on alignment and will be chosen upon waking up ala level 1 caster selection screens.

The decision for Godhood would once again pit your character as a god and your new character as the level 1 avatar (with perks for importing). All other options are the same as the mortal options, except your character has new romance options (save Jaheria, who recognizes your god as a preserver of [ALIGNMENT], Viconia, who worships your god, Dorn, who wishes to create a pact with your god and destroy Ur'Guthoz (typo?), and [FEMALE CHARNAME OPTIONS], who [STUFF]). I don't play female characters, someone could fill this in.

As in the non-imported fashion, your character will learn new skills/be influenced by your god in dreams, and will face him/her as the final boss if you defect alignment. Otherwise, the boss is [SCHEMER NPC].

For the purposes of the sequel, [SCHEMER NPC] is not one set npc, but the good or evil NPC most appropriate for the final task. If you are good, the Schemer could be an avatar of Cyric and your task could be to prevent the Spellplague (non-canonically you can succeed or canonically you can fail, but be inflicted with a spellscar). Even though Mystra is a neutral deity, preventing the Spellplague could be seen as preventing the destruction of all the realms, and would be a good act.

If you are neutral or if you are playing a non-imported game, the schemer could be Ilmater, and you are tasked to prevent him from falling further from neutral to evil (as he was a good deity prior) as this would result in a god whose only purpose is to eliminate hope and freedom from the realm, two aspects that allow neutrality to exist in the first place.

If you are evil, the Schemer would be either an avatar or the god Lathander or Tyr, and you are tasked with destroying them in order for your god to drown the realms in darkness and/or for him to continue ascending unopposed to be as high as Ao (is Ao even mentioned in Baldur's Gate?)

Edit: Credit to those who had similar ideas, cryptonesia to blame. :D
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    more races. Wanna be a Dark Dwarf, or something really bizarre.

Human don't do it fer me, too plain, too boring.