Skip to content

**Potential Spoilers** What would you like to see in Baldur's Gate III?

Comments

• Slit518Slit518 Member Posts: 16
    I get it! You're the bastard child of the Bhaal Spawn! You grow up in a life of anonymity as a back-water farmer or something of that nature. But as your life continues and you grow older people realize whom you are, and you must answer for your parent's (Bhaal Spawn) actions, whether good or bad there would of been those who didn't agree with them. So you live a life of exile as a fugitive from whomever on a quest to find out your true heritage and at some point you encounter your Bhaal Spawn parent who disregards you as nothing more but another peasant whom they want nothing to do with. You know, this is sounding awfully familiar...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Baldur's Gate isn't Baldur's Gate to me without playing as the Bhaalspawn. Hence my "God of War"-style suggestion. If we're getting a new protagonist, make it a new IP. Doesn't mean you can't refer to the BG events, but I see no reason to call it a sequel if it isn't one.
    Carrying on your father's or mother's throne? From bastard child to slayer of your parent who discarded you from a young age, wanting nothing to do with you? They can even divide that into two games, first game you are figuring out who you are, fending off Bhaal Spawn minions, etc... Second game is about confronting your Bhaal Spawn parent, but first you need to work your way up to them once you find out who they are and their possible location(s). Just imagine if the saved data could carry over just like in games such as Mass Effect or Fable? I think it would make for an interesting Baldur's Gate III & IV.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think "child of bhaalspawn" would be a great premise, having a small sliver of bhaal essence that people don't really notice.

There are a few issues with that: Solar and the parent in particular. Solar was keeping track of the essence by the end of ToB, (SPOILER ALERT) she talks about Imoen's essence, if she's in the party. Solar tells of how small the piece of the essence actually is, she sees it there nevertheless.

Another thing would be the child you have with Aerie, I have never played that romance to the end game, but don't you have a child with her? Does Solar talk about THAT child's essence?

Lastly, wouldn't the third game have to ASSUME you chose divinity in the above mentioned posts? What if you chose mortality, and therefore you get the child that way? And what about just not having a child during playing and then not knowing anything about it. YOU played that character all the way till the end, that's a bit of retconning, isn't it? And granted, it would work for a male PC, because you only need to leave your seed with a female mate and disappear, but last I checked, you can't be a FEMALE pc and do that...
    True, unless the child was *shifts eyes, quickly thinks* STOLEN from the Bhaal Spawn instead.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    I absolutely LOATHE every game that requires me to spawn a child. especially if I play a woman

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    We need new villain for BG:III
    Someone epic and powerful !

Someone who is half gigant Spacehamster and half Chuck Norris ( or somethin similar ).

Any idea guys ? Who can want kick CHARNAME ass ? ( or who will be good villain for new CHARNAME )
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    scriver said:

@Aurellius -
    It's not up to Overhaul to decide what edition to use.

The only thing they have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to them.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749

Whatever ruleset gets used, I agree that the Bhallspawn's story is pretty much done. Time for a new level 1 protagonist.

Still, a new game should be rife with references and contact points with the earlier games. There should be clashes with the Gods and special appearances of familiar faces as questgivers, shopkeepers, or cameos. I want to be manipulated by Harper agent Jaheira and to help Mazzy rescue the halfling village she settled down in.

In fact, I think the Bhallspawn's in an excellent position to be the ultimate antagonist of Baldur's Gate 3.

I couldn't disagree more.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]
    Edvin said:

We need new villain for BG:III
    Someone epic and powerful !

Someone who is half gigant Spacehamster and half Chuck Norris ( or somethin similar ).

Any idea guys ? Who can want kick CHARNAME ass ? ( or who will be good villain for new CHARNAME )

Cyric! Ascended or not, and regardless of alignment, Charname still poses a major threat to Cyric, and likely several other gods. I bet Lolth wants a piece of him/her, too.
    Well to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I could see former CHARNAME as a proper antagonist for latter CHARNAME. I could see it working though, and it would be very interesting.

One thing, however, that I would prefer for BGIII is that the latter CHARNAME be linked to former CHARNAME in some very major way.

ALSO, some decent cameos... and NOT the way BG2 did it... killed Safana... BASTARDS!!!
    Xavioria said:

Well to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I could see former CHARNAME as a proper antagonist for latter CHARNAME. I could see it working though, and it would be very interesting.

One thing, however, that I would prefer for BGIII is that the latter CHARNAME be linked to former CHARNAME in some very major way.

ALSO, some decent cameos... and NOT the way BG2 did it... killed Safana... BASTARDS!!!

Assuming we're working with a generation having past, some of the longer-lived BG2 party members could totally work as late-game additions to a BG3 party. And even some human characters. A gray-haired Edwin as an archmage boss fight would be pretty cool.

edited January 2013
    Madhax said:

A gray-haired Edwin as an archmage boss fight would be pretty cool.

WHAT !?
    Do not dare even think about that !
    Don't you mean Edwina? ;)
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    Madhax said:

Slit518 said:

LMTR14 said:

you can't expect not to get spoilers in a "what would you like to see in the sequel" thread. people who haven't finished the 2 games have no business in this thead, not having full knowledge what actually already IS in BG 1 & 2. basic logic ;-)

I've never actually finished Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. People could still say what features they would like added without saying what happens in the story. I didn't ask for people to tell how they want the story or plot to go, even though a few people mentioned multiple possible endings or different paths you can take, which is fine, because that gives nothing away.
    But new features are heavily reliant on the direction of the story flow. Imagine, for a minute, that we're talking about Star Wars in 1981. You've seen Episode 4 and the first half hour of episode 5, and ask people what they want to see in episode 6. Sure, people can make simple requests like cool force moves or intense lightsaber fights, but the core of the issue is going to deal with crucial plot elements like Han being frozen in carbonite, Luke missing his hand, and Vader being Luke's father. It's impossible to discuss the sequel without addressing major plot developments, because the technical aspects of the sequel are reliant on the story's direction.

So, I'm going to blatantly refer to the climax of ToB in my suggestion for new features in a BG3. You've been warned.

Since ToB ends with the option of ascension into godhood, I'd be interested in pursuing a God of War-type BG3. There's a massive pantheon of gods of varying power in Forgotton Realms, and each is potentially an ally or an enemy. An evil PC, ascended or not, could ally with his fellow evil gods to take out the good gods, or betray the evil deities and gain their powers. A good PC, ascended or not, could wipe out the evil or neutral gods that interfere with their own views. A neutral PC... I dunno, I rarely play neutral. Ideas welcome.

Any way you write it, I'd enjoy a non-linear jaunt through the upper and lower planes, with epic-level battles against steadily more and more powerful gods. Allowing demigods or even lower-level deities to become party members would be extremely interesting, too. Freedom to form and break alliances and draw up battlelines amongst the most powerful beings in existence would be a uniquely excellent gaming experience.

Of course, I have no background in PnP, and thus no particular loyalty to Forgotton Realms canon. It may be that Beamdog's contractual limitations, or the outrage of DnD fans at the non-canon deaths of gods, would bar this from ever becoming a reality. But hey, a guy can dream, right?

Wow great idea.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Ninja's and fish used as weapons.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2013
    Xavioria said:

There are a few issues with that: Solar and the parent in particular. Solar was keeping track of the essence by the end of ToB, (SPOILER ALERT) she talks about Imoen's essence, if she's in the party. Solar tells of how small the piece of the essence actually is, she sees it there nevertheless.

Another thing would be the child you have with Aerie, I have never played that romance to the end game, but don't you have a child with her? Does Solar talk about THAT child's essence?

I don't think she does, except at the end to say that the child's essence will leave in the same way as Imoen's.

But even most of Aerie's biggest fans consider what happens in ToB to be a horrific misstep by the writers, and would prefer to pretend it never happened. There are just far more interesting avenues that could have been explored with that character (parents, slavers, boy she rescued. etc).

If BG3 does end up involving descendents of the bhaalspawn, then certainly Aerie can cameo; a much older, more mature character, like a cross between Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter. As an elf and a powerful witch, she could certainly live a long time. And even if she wasn't the canon romance choice, we can reasonably expect that she would definitely check in on the descendents of her former companions from time to time to offer help and advice.

Xavioria said:

I don't even know who that is. I always hated not being able to save Xzar, though. another thing modders still haven't fixed!
    Xzar and Mantaron, it pissed me off to find out that they died in Baldur's Gate II when you meet back up with Xzar.
    Xavioria
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the thing that i would want to see in bg 3 is you start at level 1 and can go all the way to level 50, and i want every level to feel as epic as the last ( some games the first 4 levels can go by in mere seconds it seems, but at least in the bg series it felt more real) i want bg 3 to be as big as bg 1 +bg 2 + both expansions, to me, that would make the game really epic, starting off as a level 1 character going through a whole bunch of sweet stuff to get all the way to level 50. its kind of like this, on people's first finishing of bg 1 + expansion, it probally took them at least 20 or so hours, and bg 2 + expansion probally took around 30 hours or so, so for all 4 it looks like 50 hours, i want bg 3 to take me at least 50-100 hours to beat for the first time, and if some how this game is good enough to play over and over again like bg1 and bg2, i still want it to take me at least 40 hours, if this game is lame in game play time like neverwinter nights 2 stuff, its just not going to have the same feel, no rpg game should take under 20 hours period to beat for the first time
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    A game with the expansiveness of BG1, the depth of BG2, and the moddability of NWN is what I like to see. I leave the details to you, Beamdog.
    swnmcmlxi said:

A game with the expansiveness of BG1, the depth of BG2, and the moddability of NWN is what I like to see. I leave the details to you, Beamdog.

and the quality writing of ps:t and the d&d mechanics of nwn 2, but the isometric perspective, controls and party management of bg 2

true d&d turn based combat like in TToEE optionally
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Honestly I would like to see the game continue with our Bhaalspawn. Though ToB was clearly meant as a conclusion to the Bhaalspawn saga at the time, I don't believe that should automatically mean you can't have a sequel that continues the story. For instance I wouldn't mind if BG3 said the canon ending had the Bhaalspawn reject Godhood and that left it open for Bhaal to be resurrected (and finally give us a chance to fight Bhaal).

Though saying that I know some of you have strong opinions about developers making canon choices as you do about continuing with the Bhaalspawn in the sequel. lol
    RedGuard said:

Honestly I would like to see the game continue with our Bhaalspawn. Though ToB was clearly meant as a conclusion to the Bhaalspawn saga at the time, I don't believe that should automatically mean you can't have a sequel that continues the story. For instance I wouldn't mind if BG3 said the canon ending had the Bhaalspawn reject Godhood and that left it open for Bhaal to be resurrected (and finally give us a chance to fight Bhaal).

Though saying that I know some of you have strong opinions about developers making canon choices as you do about continuing with the Bhaalspawn in the sequel. lol

Bhaal is dead though. lol
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    His entire plan was for his resurrection.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    bg3 should be about jan jansen and the continuation of the family business
    Eudaemonium
    edited January 2013
    sarevok57 said:

i want bg 3 to take me at least 50-100 hours to beat for the first time, and if some how this game is good enough to play over and over again like bg1 and bg2

We are waiting months for subraces ( which one are VERY easy to made ) and you want BG3 with 50-100 hours ?
    Ok, give Beamdog 10-12 years, then maybe.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Edvin said:

sarevok57 said:

i want bg 3 to take me at least 50-100 hours to beat for the first time, and if some how this game is good enough to play over and over again like bg1 and bg2

We are waiting months for subraces ( which one are VERY easy to made ) and you want BG3 with 50-100 hours ?
    Ok, give Beamdog 10-12 years, then maybe.
    I know English isn't your first language... it's like... painfully obvious, but... he didn't mean he wants BG3 out within 50-100 hours, he just wants a lot of gameplay/replayability.
    sarevok57
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I just want to see the headline "BG3 is in the works" thats it for now.