Skip to content

My misunderstanding -- no bug. wild mage no bonus spells?

geekgirlgeekgirl Member Posts: 4
I just started replaying BG:EE as a wild mage with an INT of 18, however I realized that I am not getting any bonus spells(currently level 3). Is this by design or a bug?

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Are you expecting bonus spells for being a wild mage or for having high intelligence?

In BG, wild mages get one more spell per level than regular, non-specialized mages, so if you're missing that bonus slot then you are indeed bugged.

However, intelligence only provides you with more maximum KNOWN spell slots, as well as better chances of scribing scrolls, so you shouldn't expect extra memorization slots for a high int.
  • geekgirlgeekgirl Member Posts: 4
    Ah, I was thinking mages got bonus spells to cast each day, like priests (or in 3e d&d). My bad!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's all good, I think there might even be some documentation that promises something along these lines for intelligence that simply isn't implemented in the game. Intelligence is a very weak stat when you get down to it, but you still might as well max it for a mage.

It's worth noting that, while you'll want a high intelligence if you intend to know a variety of spells, having more than 19 intelligence is considered a waste of time. At that point you've basically peaked in knowledge and scribing chance, and unlike wisdom there's no further benefit in the form of bonus spell slots.
  • geekgirlgeekgirl Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much for your advice and incredibly quick responses!
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    That said, you may want reasonable intelligence and wisdom anyway for Wish, an amazing BG2 spell.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Intelligence does not affect Wish, it only checks for wisdom.