Skip to content

"I don't have time to bleed!" - Can Shar-Teel Fail Morale Checks?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
Ok... I've played evil parties in Baldur's Gate for probably 10 years plus, and I've never seen Shar-Teel fail a morale check yet. I've not played her too terribly long in the enhanced edition, so maybe that changes, but I think that she must have some kind of crazy check or I'm just lucky. I've seen her dropped to 1 HP and never fail. She just utters her infamous Predator quote in all her bad-assery and continues to hack away.

Has anyone ever seen her tuck her tail and run? Wait... that's not a tail. Dang it Shar-Teel, I *knew* it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWuMwRKH2c

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    She failed one on me fighting one of the dopplegangers in Durlag's Tower when my charname and her got seperated from the rest of the party by a locked door. Funny thing was it was in the room right before you get that helmet that prevents fear and morale failures. I guess you can tell who got that helmet.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

She failed one on me fighting one of the dopplegangers in Durlag's Tower when my charname and her got seperated from the rest of the party by a locked door. Funny thing was it was in the room right before you get that helmet that prevents fear and morale failures. I guess you can tell who got that helmet.

A pity, I thought she might be special in that regard... still I wonder if its harder for her to fail a check than normal. Probably not.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    It definitely seems like she's less likely than a lot of other NPCs. I think that's the only time that ever happened with me. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Dorn fail one.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Dorn has Protection from Fear, doesn't he?

I'm under the impression that that prevents mundane morale failure, too.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I often have Shar-Teel in my parties. Haven't seen her fail, ever. But I often use her as thief/ranged, so she's not getting hurt too much most of the time.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    edited February 2013
    There is morale break check for every character, which they have to pass in certain situations. Its d10 roll and check number of most characters is 5. However some chars have different. For example Khalid has 6, Ajantis has only 2, and Shar-teel has 4.
    Post edited by Pecca on
    Pecca said:

There is morale break check for every character, which they have to pass in certain situations. Its d10 roll and check number of most character is 5. However some chars have different. For example Khalid has 6, Ajantis has only 2, and Shar-teel has 4.

Does "Protection from Fear" obviate the d10 roll?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    Nifft said:

Pecca said:

There is morale break check for every character, which they have to pass in certain situations. Its d10 roll and check number of most character is 5. However some chars have different. For example Khalid has 6, Ajantis has only 2, and Shar-teel has 4.

Does "Protection from Fear" obviate the d10 roll?
    To my knowledge, any protection from fear also protects from moral failure.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013
    I assume that the roll is still made, but any protection from fear type ability overides the effect of failure.

For example, the Durlag's Tower chalice that heals you but causes morale failure can be used safely with any sort of fear protection, whether is be a class ability, spell, or Kiel's helmet.
    Pecca said:

To my knowledge, any protection from fear also protects from moral failure.

Thanks, that confirms what I thought.
    Fardragon said:

I assume that the roll is still made, but any protection from fear type ability overides the effect of failure.

For example, the Durlag's Tower chalice that heals you but causes morale failure can be used safely with any sort of fear protection, wether is be a class ability, spell, or Kiel's helmet.

That chalice is like the Cavalier's holy grail.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, I have always read that she fails her moral rolls much less frequently than, oh, say Khalid (to pick a name completely at random). In that I take her to have a much higher moral check than the aforementioned chicken (ahem...) Fighter.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Pecca said:

And the four new ones break at 0...