Skip to content

Rasaad

I don't understand peoples problem with him. Yes monks are better at higher lvls but in my bard (blade) play through my bard with boots of the cheetah and rasaad normally kill everything that moves before anyone else in my party even gets to the fight.

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    His stats are meh, and his class is pretty bad at low levels. That's why people aren't fans.

That said, I've edited him into the Sun Soul kit in my current game, and the on-demand damage from Sun Soul Ray is nice to have when fighting undead. You're guaranteed to find a +1 Wakizashi early on, which Rasaad is proficient in, helping him overcome his lack of offense at low levels. And once he gets his fire-based moves, especially Greater Sun, he and my PC Dragon Disciple are going to be laughing our asses off as everyone around us burns to a crisp.

I'm currently running him as a frontliner alongside Ajantis, and Ajantis's Protection from Evil makes Rasaad much more durable. He effectively held the line alongside Branwen against Mulahey's skeletons and kobolds, toasting one skeleton right off the bat with a Sun Soul Ray, and swapping between sword and fist depending on whether he was fighting a kobold or skeleton. He was then able to deliver some solid damage to the Revenant you can fight in the SE map after exiting the mines near Mulahey's hideout, landing the killing blow for a cool 3000 xp.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Sooooo Vanilla Rasaad = Terribad and Edited Rasaad = Awesomesauce?
    @Xavioria

To an extent. My Rasaad is only level 3, which means that the only difference so far is that he gets a once-per-day offensive spell rather than Stunning Blow, a good tradeoff for now considering the fact that his low-level Stunning Blow usually missed.

My point is partially that kitting him makes him better at lower levels, and partially that he isn't too bad to begin with when you use him right. The +1 Wakizashi works very well, for example, and I'm sure many who use him are used to never giving their monks actual weapons.
    Fafnir
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    well I more often had to give him the rashad's talon that you find in cloakwood because his fists don't become +1 until much more leveling. I needed him to be able to hit enemies, so I did a pretty similar thing that you did.

I am going to download the mod that makes him a Sun Soul monk (Or I could do it myself) because it just makes more sense to me that he is.

Plus playing kits has always just been more fun to me
    There's a mod to make him a Sun Soul Monk? I just added the kit to EEKeeper, then edited him. Had to manually erase the Stunning Blow special ability, but otherwise I think everything's kosher.

I definitely suggest kitting him, though.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    I had lots of fun using him in my team, but he really needs level 4 and some micromanaging to come into his own.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    The +1 wakizashi is deffinately a must until he's level 4 then all out fist of doom. I've never had shadowkeeper on any of my play throughs including vanella version
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    As long as you're willing to give him the first share of your best magic items, he can be as effective as the other frontliners when he gets to a higher level.

I don't think i'll be taking him through the game a second time though.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    @Madhax giving him wakizashi +1 will limit his attacks per round to 1

Generally I don't complain about monks. In fact they have their advantages like getting extra gold from selling items they can't wear. My monk had 40k+ gold without doing many side quests by the time he entered Baldur's gate and sold the items he doesn't need. That much gold means lots of Darts of Stunning, and I don't need to explain what that means. The bottom line is monks are not that bad in mid/ending parts of BG1.

What actually worries me is ToB. I am not sure that monks will keep up with fighters for example. I had created a monk in ToB for testing purposes back in the day. He was terrible against Illasera and co.(with ascension). I wonder what would the results be with a monk that completed BG1.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    As far as I know, monks become absolute murder engines later on, although they might have problem against monsters that require higher +s to hit. My opinion is largely based on trivia though, I never played a monk in ToB myself.
    @Djimmy
    I know. It's totally worth it at levels 1-2, possibly less so once the monk starts getting extra attacks. Rasaad recently hit level 4 for me, and since level 3 his unarmed attacks have been 3/2 APR, but I still mostly used the wakizashi s+1 ince it was more accurate and damaging.

Since he's a Sun Soul Monk for me, I'll be using fists a lot more once I get Flaming Fists at level 5, and will probably swap to fists full-time at level 6 with 2 APR and 1-10 damage per hit. Of course, I'll keep the wakizashi on him in case we fight some magical monsters.

Regarding late-game, I haven't played a PC monk before so my knowledge of them late in the saga is secondhand. Still, I've heard good things. A level 18 monk punches for 1-20 damage with fists counting as +3 weapons at 4 APR, with a base AC of 0 and a further -6 AC versus missiles, and 54% magic resistance. Deck that monk out in some good Shadows of Amn items and give him a strength belt, and he's going to wreck everything.
    @Djimmy
    I know. It's totally worth it at levels 1-2, possibly less so once the monk starts getting extra attacks. Rasaad recently hit level 4 for me, and since level 3 his unarmed attacks have been 3/2 APR, but I still mostly used the wakizashi s+1 ince it was more accurate and damaging.

Since he's a Sun Soul Monk for me, I'll be using fists a lot more once I get Flaming Fists at level 5, and will probably swap to fists full-time at level 6 with 2 APR and 1-10 damage per hit. Of course, I'll keep the wakizashi on him in case we fight some magical monsters.

Regarding late-game, I haven't played a PC monk before so my knowledge of them late in the saga is secondhand. Still, I've heard good things. A level 18 monk punches for 1-20 damage with fists counting as +3 weapons at 4 APR, with a base AC of 0 and a further -6 AC versus missiles, and 54% magic resistance. Deck that monk out in some good Shadows of Amn items and give him a strength belt, and he's going to wreck everything.
    Anduin
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Thanks for the link @erg
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2013
    Nevermind