Skip to content

What are your top 5 video games of all time

EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
List your top 5 and their respective consoles.

Took me a while to come up with this list and place them accordingly. Honorable mentions are for Diablo 2 and GTA Vice City. I am a Gamer stuck in the 2005ish era and haven't grown up much ^^

1. Baldurs Gate 1&2 for the PC
2. Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne for the PC
3. Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64
4. GTA San Andreas for the PS2, Xbox, and the PC
5. Halo 2 for the Xbox

Comments

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    There's very few modern games that I play, Fate: The Traitor Soul and Din's Curse + Demon War Expansion are about it, though I am really looking forward to Eternity from Obsidian (sadly it's still a couple years off yet).
    So my favorites tend to be 10+ years old.

1) BG I & II + TotSC & ToB Expansions ( PC )
    2) Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven ( PC )
    3) Alundra ( PS1 )
    4) Soul Blazer ( SNES )
    5) Dungeon Siege + Legends of Aranna Expansion ( PC )

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I could never make this sort of a list if I tried. I have played far too many games over the years, many of them are so different from each other that they could never be compared to each other in any way, and for the most part my tastes depend on what I feel like playing for the moment anyway.
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66
    Baldurs Gate 2, Final Fantasy 7, Civilization 4, Super Mario World, Half Life 2, Grand Theft Auto 2, Maniac Mansion, Star Craft, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Diablo 2
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Well, on my list order doesn't matter. What game I like the most and what I like less it's up to your interptetation.

1. Baldur's Gate series, obviously. I think that reasons why are obvious, considering of what game this forum is.

2. That one will be surprising - Rayman 2: The Great Escape. Fun gameplay, "magical" world, nice atmosphere, awesome music etc, etc. Current Rayman games (Legends, Origins) are crap in comparison.

3. Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee. One of the games that basically made my childhood. Interesting setting, good gameplay, great atmosphere... And remake is coming either in 2013 or 2014. I can't wait :)

4. The Witcher II - I am fan of the novels, on which games are based on. I prefer W2 to W1 due to more interesting storyline, dynamical gameplay, difficulty level and overall feeling of the game.

5. Either Diablo 2 or 3. I can't decide. Both games are REALLY fun to play, but they are also suffering from some serious disadvantages. Besides that, both of this games are unitentionaly forcing me to play solo, for different reasons thought.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    my list is a little different than the others here

1. Baldur's Gate saga
    2. Civilization: Call to Power II
    3. Madden football franchise
    4. Planescape: Torment
    5. Allied/Panzer General
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Very very hard to choose a top 5 as chow indicated but i can try based on times i've replayed them.

1)Entire Baldur's Gate series
    2)mass effect(all 3 but more so with 1)
    3)sim city for the ps1
    4)FF VII
    5)Elder scrolls Oblivion

I'll sign off this post before i start change my mind and make a million changes
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I'm mainly picking from a list that I played when I was a child because they now define who I am.

1. Starcraft I (with expansion)
    2. Warcraft II (with expansion)
    3. Doom II (all of it's map-packs)
    4. Diablo I (with expansion)
    5. Baldur's Gate

I know, I know, the list is putting Baldur's Gate at the bottom. My reason being is that I was far, far too young to understand how AD&D worked. I was around 8 or 9 when my Dad got the game so alot of unfinished characters haunt me :).

It took a lot of nerve to not put any of the Heroes of Might & Magic's (II-IV) on here and Might & Magic IV: The Mandate of Heaven. Those games ruled my childhood too, but Starcraft and Warcraft were easier for a young boy because they didn't require as much reading. :P
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    - BG1&2
    - Planescape: Torment
    - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    - Deus Ex
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    in no order

-demon souls
    -baldurs gate saga
    -VTM: Bloodlines
    -FF6
    -Metal gear solid 3 snake eater
    -ocarina of time

sorry i cant cut it down anymore, so ill just have to have a top 6.
    Id also have Mass Effect in there but ME3 annoyed me too much for it to make the the list

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2013
    1) BG2 - duh
    2) Pokemon Red
    3) Ocarina of Time
    4) CoD4
    5) Grandia 2

Honourable mentions: Okami, Halo 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Virtua Fighter 4: Evo, Mass Effect 1, Age of Empires 2.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    In no particular order:
    -Baldur's Gate 2 (PC)
    -Planescape: Torment (PC)
    -Age of Empires 2/Age of Mythology (PC) (I couldn't decide between the 2. I have AoE2 to thank for getting me into RTS, and I probably played it more, but overall I think AoM is a cooler game)
    -I don't really know what else to put here, it feels like there's a dozen games that are all worthy, for various reasons. I guess I'll go with Ocarina of Time and/or Majora's Mask (N64) and Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3).

Does anyone else feel like they could almost make 2 seperate lists, one with games that they think are the best in an objective, overall quality based way, and another for games that they find the most fun/are the most likely to play (or have played the most in the past)?
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    1) Baldur's Gate I & II + Expansions (PC)
    2) Icewind Dale I (PC)
    3) King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)
    4) Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    5) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

Honorable Mentions: Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation), Dragon Warrior IV (NES), Super Mario Brothers III (NES), Deja Vu (NES)

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Tough, but fun to think about.

1. BG2 - PC
    2. Alpha Centauri - PC
    3. Civ 4 - PC
    4. Dark Wizard - Sega Genesis 32x
    5. Elder Scrolls III Morrowind - PC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    edited February 2013
    Well now. Let me think. . .

Ghouls and Ghosts - On my old Spectrum +2a. Loved it. This was one of the first games I played where the gameplay was almost surpassed by the other elements of the title. In this case, the music. It just hit the right tempo for how I played the game, and made it seem more complete.

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. - A classic title that let me play my hobby, even when I was alone in my room. Dark Omen was probably a "better" game, but SotHR just sticks with me more strongly for its "first play" impact.

Fallout 2 - The first was good, but I really got into playing the second in a much bigger way and enjoyed the dialogue and story just a smidge more. This game left me with a serious "got to play it again" feeling that not many games can do these days.

Far Cry - The original FPS to make agoraphobia fashionable. OK, so maybe not the first FPS set outside and in daylight, but I cant think off-hand of any earlier, that were quite so bright and, well, tropical. And, it had hang gliding! Genius.

Morrowind - For a game of its age, how huge was this beast? Yeah, if you belted through it, you could do it in a few sittings. . . Took me three years of "on and off" play to finally finish it. Not only that, but it had a story, something its later counterparts sacrificed a little for looks ( though they were by no means bad games ).

I left out any BG titles deliberately. We're on the forum for what is, an old old game, so it stands to reason we all might have it in our top five, so lets go on the assumption that I like them too. :)

As others have said, I would have mentioned Mass Effect as the greatest game/s of all time, but then I played the last hour of the third travesty . . . er, I mean installment. More than 250 hours of my life being used, mocked and ridiculed by those ba. . . . . :snip:
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    As has already been mentioned, making a list like this would take a lot of time and effort, so instead I'll just list five current favorites.

Mass Effect 2 - The whole series is great but if I had to pick one of the three this is my choice easily. Even though relatively little happens in the grand story it is an important installment simply for giving the universe a solid emotional connection with the ME universe. Mass Effect 1 was about the setting, Mass Effect 2 was about the people that inhabit it.

Gabriel Knight : The Beast Within - While mired by the FMV format that was trendy for the time, this game has a fantastic narrative with an amazing villian, sadly one that is rarely acknowledged as such. If you like adventure games this is a must play.

Spec Ops: The Line - In a great year for smart video games, this one stands out for using the game itself as a tool to tell the story, instead of relying exclusively on cutscenes. There have been a few games that can make people cry, but Spec Ops is the only one that makes you feel depressed.

Crusader Kings 2 - Feels obligatory since I have invested an unhealthy amount of time into it.

The Walking Dead - This one gets a spot for freshening up an increasingly stale franchise, and for proving Telltale apparently does have the ability to write good games, wish they'd show it more

I'd have added King's Quest VI but @Melicamp already did. <3
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like too many games to narrow it down to five.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    As your asking for a top 5 of all times, I include games I don't play anymore but did enjoy very much in the past, so my top reflects different periods in my gaming life:

1. (best 2D RPG) The Baldur's Gate series (not surprising, with a bias as I still like it a lot),

2. (best first person shooter) Battlefield 1942 (with side-shows for Bf 2 and Bf Vietnam), like BG it's a game where the enjoyment of it can be multiplied with lots and lots of mods,

3. (best real-time strategy) Age of Empires I & II (a classic from the old times of my gaming career, when I first got a PC around 2004 or so),

4. (best turn-based strategy) Rome Total War (epic game, starting with 3 provinces, building a whole empire and massive battles with AFAIK good historical accuracy in units and geography)

5. (best 3D RPG) Dragon Age Origins (recently I picked up where I left and it surprised me how detailed the lore was, if you set yourself to reading all the codex entries, quite epic, I changed my mind and find it a worthy 3D successor to BG after all).

honourable mentions (games I like or have liked a lot, but 5 is only 5):

- (best city-builder) CivCity Rome: wonderfully detailed city-building, and I like history a lot,

- (2nd best 2D RPG) Icewind Dale I: though it hasn't got NPC interaction, it's got my beloved 2nd Edition AD&D in the beloved Infinity Engine, a good story and wonderful area art,

- (2nd best turn-based strategy) Heroes of Might and Magic IV: though much disliked by others, I like this HoMM game the most, as the heroes are really part of the battle, sharing the sweat, toil and danger with their troops. Also, I like turn-based strategy for being less overwhelming for my senses, you can focus on 1 move at a time

- (2nd best 3D RPG) Fallout 3: the game that kind of took away my dislike for 3D games, very involving and even though the game is all post-nuclear wasteland, it still manages to make the world varied and alive.

- (2nd best city-builder) Children of the Nile: I like the little details - scribes teaching, women weaving, protesters on the street if you don't manage your cities well, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, lots of different trees, shrubberies and tiles to beautify your cities.
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    1. Fallout series, especially New Vegas
    2. Crusader Kings 2
    3. Europa Universalis 3
    4. Baldurs Gate series
    5. Either Daggerfall, Morrowind or Planescape:Torment. Can't decide which.

I have high hopes for either Europa Universalis 4, Fallout 4, Wasteland 2, Project: Eternity and/or Planescape: Tides of Numenera to replace a few of the titles on my list. Or perhaps a Baldurs Gate 3?
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    edited February 2013
    I think Baldur's Gate (series), Dragon Age: Origins, Civilization V, Mass Effect and... Probably another RTS or RPG are it for me. Yeah, I like(d) BioWare's game. Still curious about Dragon Age 3 after what they did in 2. Asunder was a nice read and I am still curious about the world.

Edit: How could I forget Jagged Alliance 2?! Awesome game. Probably the fifth one. Although Skyrim, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI plus VII, Donkey Kong Country (series) and... A lot of other titles also deserve a mention. Portal 2 was awesome too for instance. I like the games from this era just as much as the old ones, I guess. (Oh. Deus Ex: Human Revolution!)
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    edited February 2013
    Aosaw said:

Chrono Trigger
    ....The characters are fully realized (even the frog, especially the frog, even though his name is Frog)

In Chrono Trigger, I always rename Frog --> Glen, Marle --> Nadia, and Magus --> Janus... Lol
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Yeah. But I always do it after the discovery. In the prehistoric era.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    My favorite games that haven't been mentioned already:

Herzog Zwei - Sega Genesis - The original real time strategy game - years ahead of its time and arguably the best two person console game for much of the 90's.

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=242

Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory) - PC - Bridges the King's Quest line of games with RPG games with a great dose of hilarity.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/heros-quest-so-you-want-to-be-a-hero

Knights of the Old Republic - PC - Loved this one. Great RPG that is probably known to everyone on this thread. Also enjoyed the sequel.

Mike Tyson's Punchout - NES - Many fun hours with this one. No other boxing game has come close for me.

Resident Evil 4 - Wii - This has been on almost every platform but I didn't find it until later in life when I got a Wii for my son and got this game for dad. I liked the aiming mechnism and getting the full version of this classic didn't hurt. Great game.

• LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    In no particular order:

-Civilization 3
    -Diablo 2
    -Baldur's Gate series
    -Warcraft 3 & the frozen throne
    -Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    ♥ Age of Wonders series
    ♥ Icewind Dale series
    ♥ Baldur's Gate series
    ♥ LotR: BFME-II: RotWK :D
    ♥ Yoshi's Island (SNES)
  • doppleganger95doppleganger95 Member Posts: 27
    Baldur's Gate 1
    Halo series
    Starcraft
    Half-Life 2
    Tetris

The first four are the games that I played as an adult that really meant the most to me. These are games that I not only finished, but that I became really invested in their universe.

I couldn't decide on a 5th game. I had a four way tie for the games that I remembered meaning the most to me as a teenager, Legend of Zelda, Legend of Zelda Link to the Past, Metroid and Super Mario Bros. . Three great original NES games that I played through multiple time. One great SNES game. I found it strange that I have nothing from my Sega Genesis or the original Play Station. Should I put Final Fantasy 7, Quake 2, or Gran Turismo on the list. I used to play a ton of Madden football, including the original that came out in 1988. Shoud I put Portal on the list? Should I put Final Fantasy Tactics on the list, I really really loved that game. Nope, I went with Tetris. I almost forgot about it. I doubt I put more hours into any other game. It might be stupid, but I used to be insanely good at it.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Baldur's Gate II
    EA NHL (insert year here)
    Civilization V (yes I prefer it over 2-4)
    Mass Effect 2
    Sim City 2000
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    1. Baldur's Gate 2
    2. Europa universalis 3
    3. Gothic 2
    4. Rome: total war
    5. Icewind dale 2

Interesting thread!