Skip to content

Direct IP connection problem...

DythorDythor Member Posts: 1
edited February 2013 in Multiplayer
Hello guys,

I've bought BG:EE along with a friend of mine. He bought it from Steam, I didn't, don't know if that's got anything to do with the trouble we're facing. Now the problem is, once I type his public IP address and press "Join Game", or he does the same thing with my game, we just get a "Please wait..." kind of message and nothing ever happens. So, what's up? We spend good money on these games and it sucks that we can't play now...
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
    From what I've read here, the Steam version is apparently outdated, and can't be used in multiplayer with the newest version.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @fobjok It's not outdated anymore. At least until 2013 comes out...

@Dythor Be sure neither you computer nor your friend's is blocking the connection. Check your firewalls and confirm Baldur's Gate have permission for both in and out connections.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    This is not a bug.

If you want to connect to someone over the Internet, by typing in their public IP, you both must configure your router to use port forwarding.

Without knowing the exact specifications of your router, in the port forwarding section, you must create UDP port 47630 rule, then configure the rule to forward to the computers private IP (likely 192.168.1.###). Then you must make sure that the port is open on the PC's firewall as well.

You can view an example of this here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15409/multiplayer-guide-v0-1/p1

@Aosaw - May want to move this to Multiplayer section.

• mysterycyclemysterycycle Member Posts: 1
    I'm in a similar situation, only we downloaded the game directly from Beamdog instead of going through Steam. My wife and I had plans to play multiplayer, but those were pretty much ruined after my wife has spent the last few hours trying to follow all of these directions on the forum without any positive results.

I know I'm asking a lot, but it seems to me like when multiplayer is advertised as a feature of the game, I shouldn't have to have a degree in Computer Science to use it. Or, at the very least, it would have been nice to know that it was going to be such a huge hassle before we bought it, so we could have spent that money on a less frustrating and ultimately disappointing venture.
  • BanjoBrockBanjoBrock Member Posts: 3
    I am in the same boat as @mysterycycle. I am not a biggie techy, but I think I've managed to open the right port (I am using a mac) Ive attached a screen shot of what I've tried. Please let me know if I'm on track. My girlfriend is in the UK. She also has a mac. Am I correct in assuming that she needs to open the same port that I have done for us to connect? Right now, it just spins at the "please wait screen" and we are unable to find each other.
  • BanjoBrockBanjoBrock Member Posts: 3
    And here is what my girlfriend did in the UK. Please let us know what we are doing wrong, as our Macs still can't find each other in Baldurs Gate EE
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    You need to have the fowording set up on the router, like your GF has, and the port opened on your OS firewall, like you did on your MAC, on both ends.

Keep in mind, this is only for Internet play. If everyone is on the same local network (on same router) you don't need to do any of this except have the local port open (which should happen during installation on Windows) you just need to know their local IP.

If you want to play on the Internet, it helps if each PC has a static IP so that you don't have to keep changing the port forward rule. Also, your public IP typically changes every few days unless your ISP is cool or you have a business account. Once everything is setup right, if you are connecting to someone elses hosted game, you just have to type in the public IP.

photo BGPortForward_zps4814f622.png
    Post edited by bigdogchris on