Skip to content

Helmet of Opposite Alignment

2»

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Drugar said:

Question;

If I find a villain and jam this on his head, causing him to turn Good, then corrupt him with riches and wenches and such to become Evil again and then remove the helm, will he be Good?

He would probably go insane and have split personalities maybe :) or turn Lawful Chaotic or something
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    AHF said:

Scofield said:

For years I thought this helmet could not be found in the game, that it was simply a myth or the developers decided to cut it from the game eventually. It wasn't until recently when I learned that it can be obtained indeed.

I've read somewhere that it can only be obtained by defeating the Demon Knight at Durlag's Tower, when you meet him the first time at the lower levels. It is a bit tricky but not impossible at all. Some might say it is cheating, but this is the only known way to get hold of that helmet.

My question is, can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm this. Hit the Demon Knight with a wand of paralyzation and you can get it. Otherwise, he will be in and out too quickly to defeat.

If you go down the dungeon, will you still have to fight the Demonknight (ie : another one) ?
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited February 2013
    Duron said:

Scofield said:

shawne said:

@Awong: Nope. And honestly, even changing alignment doesn't do much in this particular game, since Reputation works on a different scale altogether and NPCs don't react any differently to you...

Well, the reason I want this helmet is to change Viconia's alignment from evil to good, so I can (hopefully) keep her in my "good guys" party even with heroic reputation. At least this is the plan...
    Okey, you do know that in BG 2 you CAN turn her allignment into good? She actually changes because of you and your actions, she directly asks you do you want her to change, and if you say yes, presto, you have neutral good Vico
    First, she becomes True Neutral, not good. Probably a semantic argument, but it's more precise... XD

Second, she doesn't get redeemed until over half-way through the ToB portion of the romance, so it wouldn't help the OP at all in BG1 or SoA.

For the OP: I think the others pretty much gave you all the tips you need. I'll just like to confirm that it does indeed prevent her from leaving your party. Not really relevant to gameplay in anyway, but the helm also flips your alignment on the Chaos/Lawful scale, as well.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    This means that demon knight its an hero of the realms?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited February 2013

AHF said:

Scofield said:

For years I thought this helmet could not be found in the game, that it was simply a myth or the developers decided to cut it from the game eventually. It wasn't until recently when I learned that it can be obtained indeed.

I've read somewhere that it can only be obtained by defeating the Demon Knight at Durlag's Tower, when you meet him the first time at the lower levels. It is a bit tricky but not impossible at all. Some might say it is cheating, but this is the only known way to get hold of that helmet.

My question is, can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm this. Hit the Demon Knight with a wand of paralyzation and you can get it. Otherwise, he will be in and out too quickly to defeat.

If you go down the dungeon, will you still have to fight the Demonknight (ie : another one) ?
    @Aasimar069

Yes - you will end up fighting two of them.
    Duron said:

Scofield said:

shawne said:

@Awong: Nope. And honestly, even changing alignment doesn't do much in this particular game, since Reputation works on a different scale altogether and NPCs don't react any differently to you...

Well, the reason I want this helmet is to change Viconia's alignment from evil to good, so I can (hopefully) keep her in my "good guys" party even with heroic reputation. At least this is the plan...
    Okey, you do know that in BG 2 you CAN turn her allignment into good? She actually changes because of you and your actions, she directly asks you do you want her to change, and if you say yes, presto, you have neutral good Vico
    She actually changes to true neutral.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Another minor detail, when exactly is this pop in? I've done durlags a few times but don't recall ...
    Wowo said:

Another minor detail, when exactly is this pop in? I've done durlags a few times but don't recall ...

**********SPOILERS*************

Right at the outset. If you pay for the tour then it appears after you acquire the rune stone from your guide. The Demon Knight jets in and launches a fireball and then teleports out. If you are ready, you can fire off a doom, etc. and launch multiple wands of paralyzation from your magic users and get him a decent % of the time. If you don't immoblize him, it is very difficult to kill him in time to take the Helm of Opposite alignment. I like popping on evil clerics at least for a group of undead near the end of Durlag's Tower (invisible cleric turning undead is very effective).

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Drugar said:

Question;

If I find a villain and jam this on his head, causing him to turn Good, then corrupt him with riches and wenches and such to become Evil again and then remove the helm, will he be Good?

Sir, you have made my head hurt with thinking.
    Drugar said:

Question;

I like this but since the helm works off of the un-cursed alignment, the only way of making him evil while wearing the helm is to change his underlying alignment to good. He would impossible to corrupt with riches and wenches and such (because these would not turn him from evil to good which means that his alignment would remain good the entire time while wearing the helm).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    May be a tiny bit off topic, but from a role playing perspective if you put the helmet on and then cast find Familiar, what impact (if any) is there?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    In terms of figuring out how your alignment will change after equipping the helmet, remember how the choices are laid out at character generation:

Lawful Good
    Neutral Good
    Chaotic Good
    Lawful Neutral
    True Neutral
    Chaotic Neutral
    Lawful Evil
    Neutral Evil
    Chaotic Evil

Now, assume TN is a middle line. So, say you were Lawful Evil, and you put on the helmet. To get to LE from TN, you count down two alignments. To find out where you are after putting on the helmet, simply count in the other direction using the number you counted to get to your original alignment.

So, you'd count up twice, and end up Chaotic Good.

Is it complicated? Maybe. But I've found it kind of cool how that system works.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    It is interesting that you found a way to do it using a list. The traditional way is the use of a grid, something like this:
    [LG] [NG] [CG]
    [LN] [TN] [CN]
    [LE] [NE] [CE]
    To find the proper alignment for the shift, you just draw a line from your current alignment through True Neutral.
  • PreyerPreyer Member Posts: 16
    By the way, I think there was a bug in the original Baldur's Gate: If you equipped both this and the gender-changing belt and then went to remove curses, one of the effects was not reversed but the equipment was taken off. I don't right now remember which effect was the one that persisted, but probably the alignment.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Scofield: there is also a roleplaying alternative which allows you to justify the 'cheating' to allow evil NPCs in your party (though it works best with Edwin...):

Edit happy.2da to make the evil alignments just as happy with a high rep as the good (and neutral ones, this is an oversight of the original developers, IMHO).

Evildoers like being looked upon as good-doers since it allows them to accomplish their plans easier.
    This works best for lawful evil NPC who have the intelligence/wisdom to see that this path is better suited to their plans. Shar-Teel for example would prefer to be hated than liked, but Edwin and/or Tiax are suited for this tactic.

Credits for this role-playing alternative should go to someone-whose-name-I-seem-to-have-been-forgotten-at-this-moment (from these fora...).

See attached file, just stick it in your override-folder.
    Phyrax said:

@Scofield: there is also a roleplaying alternative which allows you to justify the 'cheating' to allow evil NPCs in your party (though it works best with Edwin...):

Edit happy.2da to make the evil alignments just as happy with a high rep as the good (and neutral ones, this is an oversight of the original developers, IMHO).

Evildoers like being looked upon as good-doers since it allows them to accomplish their plans easier.
    This works best for lawful evil NPC who have the intelligence/wisdom to see that this path is better suited to their plans. Shar-Teel for example would prefer to be hated than liked, but Edwin and/or Tiax are suited for this tactic.

Credits for this role-playing alternative should go to someone-whose-name-I-seem-to-have-been-forgotten-at-this-moment (from these fora...).

See attached file, just stick it in your override-folder.

Does this also stifle any inter-party conflict?