Skip to content

The Tale of Dumbfry Bowguard - (Now as Dragon Diciple)

2»

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    I think the Lawful aspect can work, but in some ways there's more freedom to be as stupid as possible if he's Chaotic (which would rule out a paladin). I like the basic premise, though, that he'd be law-abiding, wanting to save the world, and consistently foolish in his behavior. LG in terms of the game engine. Stupid in his behavior.

I think here stupid = poor judgment, which is really more Wisdom than Intelligence. (Low Int would be failing to even grasp the choices before him. Low Wis is choosing poorly given the options.) His stats almost have to be too high as a paladin for this to perfectly gel. (You might get a 'Too Damn High' meme!) But that said, I will certainly enjoy seeing a Lawful Good Undead Hunter run where the character makes the worst choices imaginable.

Is there another class that could be suitable for a party leader where he can be Lawful Good with say, 5 Wis and 8 Int? Maybe make him a Kensai but with the worst weapon you can think of? Something in that vein anyway...

This one is dumb and strong, and he doubled down in his Kensai training with the spear. He can wield the Backbiter. (Or Golddigger.)

In hindsight I think I would would give him

Str 15
    Dex 9
    Con 13
    Int 8
    Wis 5
    Cha 16

Lowering Str by 1 to given him no damage bonus on hit, and useless Cha that also makes more sense in terms of him being party leader. He is semi-divine, after all. Maybe he just has a winning personality and heart of gold despite being a complete and utter fool.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    As to the Viconia thing, would he perhaps not recognize her as Drow, but maybe as a suntanned elf?
    KidCarnival
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I guess they he'll be a good friend for Yeslick with these stats ;-)
    Fyodor
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like he is more stupid good than lawful stupid.

As for the actual gameplay, I'd suggest not worrying too much about the future implications of your decisions (i.e. missing out on team fights) and instead just do what feels stupidest at the time.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I hope you give Drizzt a wide berth. Dumbfry vs. Drizzt would not be a fair fight.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Hm, I might reroll, though I really like how useless the bonus vs. undead is in a game that barely has any enemies of that kind. It brings back memories of Star Trek Online, where Andorians got a racial bonus vs. cold damage and there was absolutely nothing in the game that dealt cold damage.
    Other than that, paladin seems a limiting choice with the high min stats. I'm not THAT keen on high charisma either, it just reduces the chance to have the NPC fights break out soon. 12 - 13 charisma should be more than enough, it's just getting harder to waste points elsewhere. Con needs to stay under the bonus HP threshold, Wis and Int shouldn't be above 8, so I could only dumb some in Str and Dex.

@Lemernis - Backbiter? Golddigger? You seriously think I'll make it that far? Thanks for the confidence, lol

Another idea... Sorcerer. I could still have low int/wis with that and pick the least useful spells. It wouldn't work with the "magic = instant awesome" mindset, but that's just a roleplay thing and can certainly find a new reason why every cursed item must be used.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I wanted to try one of the new kits anyway... So I made a Dragon Diciple Dumbfry.

Spells: Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch
    Proficient in Dagger

photo Baldr012.png