Skip to content

Shorty team

Hi! I would like to try beat a game with only short races (gnome, halfing and dwarf). We have 6 characters with these races and I'm wondering who should I pick for my party, and what class my PC should be to have good, balanced party?
PC can be cleric, barbarian, fighter, mage, thief or multiclass
Montaron - fighter/thief
Tiax - cleric/thief
Kagain - fighter
Yeslick - fighter/cleric
Quayle - illusionist/cleric
Alora - thief

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @zupsky - I think you're almost stuck going arcane (or fighter/mage) because I don't see a lot of magic in the early part of your Shorty Tour of the Sword Coast. Also, your clerics won't show up for quite a while, so a cleric/mage variant (I forget what is open to which shorties) is probably needed.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Blah. I contradicted myself. Cleric/Mage was my final answer. Originally, I saw lots of clerics, only to later see that they don't show up until some time into the game. Too late in my estimation.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2013
    Well, I have installed Stratagems with component that relocate some characters. So I can get quickly Alora, Tiax and Quayle. Yeslick is still in the mines.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Any way you slice it the party has the potential to be great.

Monty and Alora can both make great party thieves, or you could go Monty backstabbing with Alora disarming/lockpicking. Monty also has the ability to stick on armour and make a decent go of tanking if you use a shield.

With Kagain and Yeslick - both are very good tanks and become great with the Gauntlets of Dexterity. They also want to kill each other. I'd be tempted to forego the firey dialogue and only bring one along.

Given the lack of arcane caster options I might suggest a PC mage, or possibly a Fighter/Illusionist. Quayle's alright, but more spells is better.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Monty - good tank, good backstab, tolerable thief.
    Alora - great thief, tolerable backstab, okay ranged support.
    Kagain - great tank, tolerable damage once he gets Mastery.
    Quayle - good mage, okay cleric.
    Tiax - hilarious dialog, okay thief, poor cleric.
    Yeslick - great tank, fine cleric.

A good early team is Monty, Kagain, and Quayle. They cover all the bases so CHARNAME can be anything.

My runs with a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist have convinced me that it can be a VERY strong character.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I did a shorty run and went Fighter/Illusionist and skipped Alora as NPC. The resulting team was awesome to behold.

Tiax is a definite keeper as he comes with quarterstaff and THF'ing to dish out some major damage with staff of striking backstabs.

It was quite a challenge to get to Yeslick without a cleric but I did it with only 1 reload which was more stupidity than failing a challenge. The cures you get from completing chapters really help.

I duo leveled charname and Montaron to level 5, then picked up Kagain (who was 6 then) before going to find Yeslick.

An option would be to use a mod like SCS which has an option to move the NPCs so you could get 5/6 of your party after the first few maps to bypass the metagaming leveling stuff that I had to do.