Skip to content

Add New Encounters to Old Areas

BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
edited June 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Since this is still on the table, development-wise... >:-)

As I am the type of player to remove every bit of black tar from every area every game, I end up uncovering (and traveling) every section of every area, and I've noticed plenty of conspicuous "dead spots" in areas that appear as if there were already ideas afoot for an encounter that simply never got added. Filling up every corner with encounters would be overmuch, but there's definitely room for expansion within the existing BG1 terrain (not knowledgeable enough about BG2 areas). These locations just seem ripe for some area-specific quest or encounter or even an NPC-related encounter.

Mind you, by new quest/ encounter, I mean another "Caldor and Krumm" or "girl who lost her kitten" or "Lord Foreshadow" or group of raucous adventurers or old hermit or Surgeon or guy-just-wandering-the-area-with-a-tale-to-tell or the like... but NOT just another monster-spawn spot. We've got plenty of those. Instead I'm suggesting to take advantage of BG's wiggle room (and awful amount of unused space) to add at least a few more encounters of BG craziness to the wilds of the Sword Coast to make them new to veteran players (and just enhance them generally). And really it would even be great for an existing monster-spawn spot to be removed to replace it with some wonderful little adventure. And it doesn't even have to have some huge quest attached... though a small one wouldn't hurt. :-P

As just one example of such a dead spot: AREA4700- that huge open meadow south of the xvart village... just nothing there in all that space until the end... where there's just a couple bears. About it. Or the northwest section of that area- north of Borda- where it's open space, trees, some rocks outcroppings, beautiful landscape, and... as Mr. Mellish diabolically discovers... nothing happens. Not the best example...

Other examples:

AREA4000- the mountain top past the dwarven mercs east of the actual Gullkin village- always wished for something to happen there; looks like the perfect place for a wierd ritual to be taking place (this is really the top of the priority list)
AREA4300- Just north of Nashkell, in the south there's an island you have to struggle with terrain to get to... and it's empty... and it's got a cave entrance... that's dead... So you turn around... (this would also be up there as a spot that looks primed for an encounter)
AREA5000- the chasm maze in the south of the area with the revenant/ ghast caves and ooze mage- always intrigued me with all those twists and turns but no encounter; actually all along the south has options, and also an encircled craggy area in the northeast with nothing in it AREA4200- the house northwest of the lake- seems like you should have access to it, but... nah
AREA4600- that whole southern area- not down in the Firewine Bridge ravine itself but if you follow the west edge of the area southward you end up on the south part of the area a long distance all the way... to a dead end in the south... great place for an ambush; but also large dead spots in the southern ravine itself
AREA2800- ("crossroads") the northeast corner which you can only enter near the center-north of the area, otherwise unseen behind the surrounding ridge
AREA3600- The mod Sirine's Call adds an encounter to that lighthouse which gives it more purpose than a window telling you "you see nothing inside" (or some such)... But if the devs don't want to break that rather popular mod, there's also a peninsula up in the northwest past the hobgoblins that you pursue to its end (not down by the golem cave) which is just empty
AREA3100- There's an intriguing bit of rocks in the center east (east of the ogres) which has nothing in it... looks like somewhere potent for an encounter
AREA4900- Carnival- Lots of open tree space in the east and west, but also that silent opium hut has potential
AREA3900- that southern section of the Ulcaster area that goes on and on in dead rocky terrain... though it does somehow end in an odd kobold commando outpost which is fun tactically
AREA5100- There's a great path that heads north just after the bridge and then circles west around the north end of the gnoll stronghold walls... where the path just squeezes to a halt... And a better path in the xvart south that leads back east to the river in a nice scenic view
AREA5300- Just south of Nashkell, lots of great craggy terrain crossed by rivers and a waterfall, and lots of dead area- west edge, south, center
(BEREGOST) TEMPLE- Large dead spot along the south and somewhat the north with curious rock crags in the southwest and southeast... that are just sort of there
THIEF MAZE- That whole nerve-wracking ordeal and just skeletons and traps?
Plenty more
Post edited by Bhryaen on
TingelpacekMarkosTanthalasConphantuslansounetlordkimHeroicSpuraqzinaAlejandroIngwarr23ThomsonAndreaColombonulspaceaXidalDeeBalquoKharadorAntontenaMajoritasOpaleSpartacusBugratZaccarocarugaFlauschigmch202MoomintrollKerozevokThe_New_RomanceShapiroKeatsDarkMageajwzGrandeCartificial_sunlightKenJarlaxleKirkorTuth

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Agree 100%. There are areas in BG which are very bland indeed. In fact, if you have a look at some of the reviews for the game, one of the biggest complaints is that there isn't enough going on in the explorable areas. More encounters definately.

It also wouldn't contravene the 'no altering existing content' rule. These areas are really just blank slates, and this is EE is a great opportunity to add some real depth to them.
    Poe
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Like we have discussed before, this would really be a great feature to add to the game.

Its really one of the big things that I want to see added to BGEE. Having two new quests and areas to accompany them will be really great, but finding new stuff in the old areas would also be awesome.
    PoeKirkor
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I must convene that those dead spots could use some more action that goes beyond random monster spawning. I "Like" this "Insightful" request ;-)
    BhryaenKirkor
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited May 2012
    But also, you can walk for hours in real life, and nothing happens at all.
    I like some of the deadspots where nothing is, but i also see that some spots could hide great treasures og quests.

Especielly this one you mentioned :

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/maps/x_4000.jpg

carugaKirkor
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Beautiful area, nothing really in it. The problem is that with the somewhat dated appearance of BG areas, taking a stroll for the sights is going to be rather less appealing for many players.
    theacefesAndreaColombocaruga
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    I think there are enough "dead spots" in the extensive BG1 area maps that you won't lose that feeling of wandering through extensive open terrain just because you happen upon a few new encounters in choice locations. That Gullykin hilltop has always intrigued me, looking like it was made just for some encounter that never went in- like a place where a sacrifice is being performed or some mage is doing some private experiment or a secret high point landing site for a space hamster vehicle- something spectacular anyway.
    AndreaColombocaruga
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    I have to agree with HeroicSpur on this one. The game is not like certain games today that encourage the player to just wander around beautiful areas just to check them out. The maps are old, dated, and while they are pretty, wandering around an isometric grid gets boring after a while if there is nothing to do in it.
    AndreaColombo
    Just added a new potential "new discovery" area:
    "AREA2800- ("crossroads") the northeast corner which you can only enter near the center-north of the area, otherwise unseen behind the surrounding ridge"
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    @lordkim
    Yes! Up in the NE corner- can't count how many times I've walked into that hidden enclave wishing something interesting would turn up there only to have to turn around again... So many places like that
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    Thorough post as usual Bhryaen. I agree with your suggestion.
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    Some news on this great post?
    @Flauschig
    Actually!...... No. :-P Sadly...
    Flauschig
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Would love to hear the official stance on this...
    edited August 2012
    @Flauschig @The_New_Romance
    They've said it's feasible from a contractual perspective, but that it's potentially technically complicating- as are the new areas- and they don't want to introduce buggy encounters haphazardly, so it's just sort of a happy maybe...

As it is though- and I honestly don't know if this indicates new use of the old areas or what- if you go to baldursgate.com and check out some of the screenshots for the new NPCs, you'll notice that a number of them are in old areas. One of them is in a location I never mentioned above: AR5500 where the grass and that section of the wall is all bloodied. It's been just an enigma in BG1 with a few gibberlings scattered about but nothing to explain it. If they've actually developed a story for one of the new NPCs that gives new life to that scene... I'll be totally impressed and amazed... We'll see... ;-)
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    They cant spoil a possible encounter right now imo;)
    mch202
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012

As for the main game, there's lots of new stuff to find. Don't fret just yet.

I think that there is a high chance to see new encounters in the main game ;-)

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Hugely support this. It would add a lot to the game.
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    Yes, not a group of mercenaries every corner, but new encounters would be great!