Skip to content

Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Could someone tell me where to find the override folder in the Mac version?

I don't own a Mac, but a good guess would be inside the main program folder (on Windows is called 00766), i.e. the one containing the subfolders data, lang, etc.). I believe the override folder is created on a need-only basis, so if it isn't there you have to create a new folder and name it override.

Edit:

@Bhaaldog

You can find detailed instructions on how to locate the override folder on Mac and much more in the following discussion:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16334/installing-mods-in-osx-a-quick-tutorial
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    You mean Easter Egg not exploit!

It seems that when you do the 30 for 300 exploit on Firebead Elvenhair, Tethtoril does not give you the scroll he is looking for. He just says that he is proud of you and to go speak with Gorion and Firebead says 'Have you spoken to Tethtoril yet?'

Have a feeling it's related to the 30 for 300 exploit

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Pardon the question but if I place the files that @Balquo has provided into the override folder and it works what happens when Overhaul release their next patch to fix the bug? Do I leave the files in the folder or manually delete them?

If it truely is fixed, I would delete them
    As they may override other fixes that those files affect.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Your override folder is wiped clean when you apply the update, so it shouldn't cause any problems.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Aosaw said:

Your override folder is wiped clean when you apply the update, so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Mine wasn't with this last patch.
    Are you sure about that?

Bhaaldog said:

Thank you @Erg

Pardon the question but if I place the files that @Balquo has provided into the override folder and it works what happens when Overhaul release their next patch to fix the bug? Do I leave the files in the folder or manually delete them?

If the bug is fixed by a new patch, you should manually delete the files from override before updating.

Other files in override (e.g. custom portraits, etc.) will not be deleted by an update if you have the customer version of BGEE (unlike the version for beta testers), but it may be a good idea to make a backup of your override anyway just in case.

WeiDU mod should be uninstalled before an update and reinstalled after.
    Oh, that's a fair point. I was thinking of the beta build, which does get wiped clean with each patch.
  • NarlNarl Member Posts: 2
    Same issue for me. I really don't want to mess with consoles and override folders. When will this be fixed? Are there lots of buggy quests?
    Narl said:

Same issue for me. I really don't want to mess with consoles and override folders. When will this be fixed? Are there lots of buggy quests?

@Narl

To fix this bug you just have to put two files inside a folder. The console is not even required. It doesn't get easier than that.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    ttt
  • NarlNarl Member Posts: 2
    First quest in the game and it is broken. Really?
    Narl said:

First quest in the game and it is broken. Really?

@Narl

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
    Well, you can, but it will taste terrible.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Aosaw: not so much the taste will be awful, but the mouthfeel!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Firebead doesn't give me the Beregost quest.

Wouldn't give me the quest either, though it was a pre-2014 patch savegame; I got it just fine in my newest game I started after the patch.

I did find a workaround, though using 3rd-party tool. Anyway, maybe it will be of use to the devs; using EE Keeper I deleted two global variables. I don't remember -spesifically- what the names were but it was something like TALKFIREBEAD and HELPFIREBEAD. Both were initially set to a value of 2... changing them did nothing so I tried deleting them and sure enough, that worked.
  • TheDudeTheDude Member Posts: 8
    While in the Firebeard's Scroll quest, Tethoril does not give me the Identify Scroll required to complete the quest. I am currently running the Windows version on Windows 7.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Am having the same problem on the current iPad version
  • Lil2WkdLil2Wkd Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    I've tried this on a few characters now, but every time I go to talk to Tethtoril to get the scroll after speaking to Firebeard, he either tells me to talk to Gorien or has noting to say to me. This is my first time playing through properly, but I've previously been able to complete the quest, pre-new patch. Any ideas anyone?
  • KhayneKhayne Member Posts: 1
    Yes this quest is broken in my game as well. Well since the new patch.
    edited March 2013
    didn't realise the thread were merged. Roll on the tweak for the iPad version! Maybe it means Ill actually get some dissertation done...
  • ImryllImryll Member Posts: 24
    It's not Mac specific as I'm getting it on PC, as well.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    So when you get the quest at Winthrops Inn. He ask you to recover a book for him. Says that the man who has his book is at the courtyard of the Candle Keep Library. But when i talk to him. He keeps telling me to talk with Gorion and will go quiet.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Background: Firebead has asked PC to get an Identify Scroll from Tethtoril in the inner grounds @ Candlekeep.

Expected Behavior: PC approaches Tethtoril & engages in conversation to which Tehttoril immediately surrenders the scroll, admonishing the PC to hurry up & get to Gorion as soon as he gives the scroll to Firebead.

Actual Behavior: Tethtoril immediately admonishes PC to go to Gorion. Tried two or three times with the same result before Tethtoril had nothing to say @ all. Restarted once to see if that might 'reset' but to no avail.
    I asked Trent on this and he said it'd been fixed in 2014. Definitely no joy here though
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    He probably thought "broken Firebead quest" meant the one in Beregost. This particular bug didn't exist before v2014. It will be fixed in the next version.
  • Kuari999Kuari999 Member Posts: 1
    Had this bug too and for some reason clicking the file on the first page won't download it for me.
  • FalcoFalco Member Posts: 1
    Kuari999 said:

Had this bug too and for some reason clicking the file on the first page won't download it for me.

This most likely means that you haven't activated your account or have some other restriction. For me the download didn't work until I've activated my account.

• MicalabreMicalabre Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Two bugs running BGEE on Mac OS 10.6.8:

Cmd-click doesn't function as a right click, so I can't right click with my trackpad unless I enable two-finger clicking.

I can't complete the Firebead quest, since Tethoril won't give me the scroll. The first 3 times I talk to him he tells me to go to Gorion, then he ignores me.

EDIT: sorry for reporting known bugs, I searched the forum first without realizing that didn't cover the bugs forum.
    Post edited by Micalabre on
    edited March 2013
    Congratulations! You're the user N. 1000 to report the Tethtoril bug. You won the hot fix, go grab it.

[READ BEFORE POSTING] List of known Bugs and Issues
    Bug Reporting Process
    Forum Search Workaround

Post edited by Erg on