Skip to content

What is your favorite (most played) class in vanilla BG1?

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    My favorite is probably Human Necromancer (pure power in later levels, challenging at the beginning), then Gnome Thief/Illusionist (great all around character who is very versatile and gets extra spells due to 19 intelligence!), in BG2 Bard Blade (powerful extra abilities and very powerful at high levels).

Gotta go with Necromancer though, nothing beats raising an undead army to fling at your foes. (also love mages for the fact they get to wander the world wearing a comfy housecoat, and who wouldn't want to do that?)
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    For BG1, the good-old fighter. Then in BG2 I either dual class to thief or mage, or I stay a fighter until the end.
  • ZyklonMZyklonM Member Posts: 16
    Can't really cast my vote on the most played character as I never tend to play the same class two times.
    But the classes/kits I have enjoyed the most are Cavalier, Undead Hunter, Barbarian (gnome, for maximum funkyness) and soloing as a fighter/mage/thief.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Whenever I start up a BG game I always have to force myself to not use a Ranger again. I don't even use any of the kits, I just use the plain Ranger because I like being able to use heavy armor.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    The rarely chosen druid here. As ineffective as it is in the first BG, I just fancy the whole shapeshift into a bear thing and being able to summon a herd of animals in the final battle. Lately though, I've been trying the dual cleric/ranger.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fighter/Thief.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Illusionist/theif Gnome, Being useful at finding traps, buffering party with haste, increased survivability with mirror image and blur, backstabing and the use of some offensive spells like fireball and when things get tough you can throw in some cannon fodder to make an escape with the shadows or a nifty invisibilty the use of bows as a mage, however you can use it in different ways, traps, scouting, charm, grease all the spells maes have acess to for endless fun.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2012
    Dual Classing should be limited to Humans with only a 20% experience penalty, that would fix the issue of it being less powerful than multiclassing, which by common sense it should not.

On topic:

I normally play a Ranger, which is pretty broken in BG 1.
  • falcornfalcorn Member Posts: 5
    Fighter/Thief
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    Paladin all the way :)

There is just something about running around in full plate and helping old ladies across the street and kittens down from trees... Yes yes.. goodie-toe-shoe is my middle name :)

And the thought about carsomyr in BG2 is also making a warm little fire in the heart.

That being said.. when the first of many complete games are done.. I will take a mage and go power crazy (I wanna cast magic missile!)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    My favourite class is Mage/Thief. Mage because Mages just are awesome and I love casting fancy magic...or nuke the shizz out of the area with AoE spells like Fireball...Gosh yes, I love me some nice Fireballs, hehe... *ahem* Anyway, I'm simply intruiged by the variety of magic spells and love trying out different combos when facing different enemies. As for the Thief part, ah, I just can't stand leaving locked chests full of precious loot alone... I guess that's the kleptomaniac in me speaking, hehe. :p (I'm not a real kleptomaniac, of course, but you get what I mean: precious loot is precious)
  • XavaineXavaine Member Posts: 12
    I used to play Thief in PnP and that's also the class I played the most in Baldur's Gate.
  • MachineOfLightMachineOfLight Member Posts: 15
    I've mostly played as Fighter/Cleric or Cleric, gonna try Ranger/Cleric on BGEE
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2012
    Druid, or to be more precise; the Oozemaster custom druid kit from Divine Remix. I just *love* to ooze from every opening and becoming more and more inhuman when leveling up. Much better to be one with the ooze than transforming into a naked weremutt.

Edit: Dang, saw the vanilla part in the title too late. Anyway, in *vanilla* Baldurs Gate I favoured the druid as well. Closely followed by the mage.
  • Gun19Gun19 Member Posts: 48
    Paladin usually. Evil Mage is fun too!
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    As far as I remember, I've always played paladins in BG1 (until I discovered Tutu/BGT and the masochistic joy of playing a low level monk, that is). It must be because that's the class I chose when I started playing AD&D, 15 years or so ago.

I never saw them as a goodie two shoes, knight in shining armor, mind you; I played them more like an inquisitor or witch hunter.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I think thieves, swashbucklers and dual or multi fighter-thieves have been my most frequent picks. I like the versatility of melee thieves, and there's usually some pretty cool stuff like the shadow armour which is lore-rich and characterful. There's always a thieves' guild somewhere too, which makes them feel natural in the setting.

Paladins are a close second though.
    @Kamigoroshi: Oozemaster druid...? :o
  • roachfexroachfex Member Posts: 6
    Cleric - with a warhammer and shield
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud : gotta catch all poopstone gems anyway, right? ;)
    @Cheesebelly: Definitely! Gotta catch 'em all! XD
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    A fighter. I love kicking me some ass with sword and Composite Longbow. Watch the monsters whine when I fill 'em so full of arrows they look like a porcupine fell in love with their face! And then- bang! Sword puts 'em out of their misery (assuming they live that long!)
  • CharlytanCharlytan Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2012
    I mentioned this already in another thread, but…

Fallen Paladin!

There’s something amusing about being a good guy that accidentally finds himself on the wrong side, but it’s enough for everyone and their grandmother to judge him. He’s then condemned to be seen as a villain, regardless of all his previous selfless actions. XD

I.e. Two villages are sick with the plague, one contains 50 villagers and the other holds 25. The Paladin can only choose one town to save, for if he decides to split the cure, all the citizens will rage war on one another. He, now, not only has to decide who to save, but who shall die as well.

If the Paladin favors the majority over the minority, it would go against his code of morals. Even the minority must be protected. If he chooses the minority, he allows more deaths, in which case would be seen as slaughter.

It’s a lose/lose situation, and many will hold him responsible for which ever action is taken. XD

Thus, the Fallen Paladin. <3333
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I like the fallen Paladine as well, tough to play though
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Mage all the way. Now if only we could get the pointy hat!
  • EldrathEldrath Member Posts: 20
    Mage or Druid i think.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Paladin ftw!
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Usually a Fighter/Mage, Cleric/Mage currently. Other multis are nice too, just not triple class.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Fighter.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited August 2012
    10 Swashbuckler / Mage, or 9 / 13 Kensai / Mage. The swashbuckler for soloing with traps, the kensai if turning traps off via modpacks.

Fighter / Mage / Thief would also be great, but then you cant have Swashbuckler or Kensai kits, I hope that they allow you to choose a kit for multiclass characters in BGEE.