Skip to content

Using restricted weapons

Does anyone know if EE Keeper or any other utility will allow you to mod characters to be allowed to use weapons restricted to their class? I really want my dragon disciple rocking a 2 handed sword...

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You should be able to with Near Infinity. Unfortunately, I believe usability flags are on the item itself, rather than the character, so you'd need to mod every 2H sword individually (which isn't hard, just a little time consuming).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You can add the "Use Any Item" HLA to a character with SK, allowing them to use any weapon and also to put proficiency points into it. It's sort of a general fix, though, since it doesn't just enable specific things but lets them use ANYTHING (well, almost anything...).

To do it, add Use Any Item to the char's innate skills, with 1 use. Load the game and use the ability, and your character will have it. You can remove the innate afterward and keep the effect. Note also that UAI persists through dual-classing and will stay active even while the first class is inactive.
  • theperm222theperm222 Member Posts: 84
    Sweet thanks.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    You can give your dragon disciple both weapon proficiency points for two handed swords as well as let him carry it with shadowkeeper. Just change weapon one in shadowkeeper to the two handed sword you want to wield and it will be in the appropriate inventory slot. Swapping weapons in your inventory ingame however won't be possible, so for every two handed sword you wish to use you have to load shadowkeeper. Also make sure that you use the ability bar when swapping to ranged instead of the inventory screen.
    I really only want to be able to put 1 star into any proficiency, not intending to do anything else, such as remove armor restrictions, etc.

I really only want to be able to put 1 star into any proficiency, not intending to do anything else, such as remove armor restrictions, etc.

Proficiency and the ability to use a weapon are different variables in the game mechanics.
    I think the use any item might be a better solution, i would just have to restrict myself to everything else manually I guess... and ignore the temptation ;)

I think the use any item might be a better solution, i would just have to restrict myself to everything else manually I guess... and ignore the temptation ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the temptation anyway, since armor will prevent your spellcasting and besides that there is little useful for a sorcerer that you normally wouldn't be able to wear.

Anyway still put a point in two handed sword proficiency with shadowkeeper or you will get penalties when wielding it.
    Got it, thanks! I guess only things I would be able to abuse would be elven chain, helms, and guantlets of specialization... hmmm maybe I willl use those anyway... LOL

Got it, thanks! I guess only things I would be able to abuse would be elven chain, helms, and guantlets of specialization... hmmm maybe I willl use those anyway... LOL

Robe of the Archmagi have the same AC as elven chain ;) hm yeah you could, but most helmets aren't that great in BG1 anyway (especially for a spellcaster) so that pretty much leaves the gauntlets which you will probably rather give to a heavy hitter or archer.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Kiel's Helm (protection from fear) is pretty nice on a caster. I currently have it on mage/cleric Xzar, who can spam all sorts of remove magic/dispel fear on the rest of the party. But it's far from essential, plus I find that mages with helms look a bit weird.
    As much as I like second edition but some of the restrictions are a little annoying, and don't really make too much sense, like clerics only being able to use blunt weapons, and mages having so many weapon restrictions, not being able to wear armour at all, etc. 3rd edition fixed a lot of those problems, but had its own set of issues. I hope Baldur's Gate 3 is some sort of hybrid LOL. Would love to play something like an Eldritch Knight from NWN2. Great class.
    @Lord_Tansheron I can't for the life of me find Use Any Item in EE Keepers innate spell abilities... I read it's supposed to be a level 1 ability near the end, but when I loaded up my DD character file and go to add it I don't see it listed there... any ideas?
    @theperm222 Use Shadow Keeper. I suspect that EE Keeper loads only BG1 resources, and HLAs are not in there.
    @Lord_Tansheron will give it go, thanks! although I think level 9 spells were in EE Keeper... maybe they just left that one out?
    Also, will Shadow Keeper recognize a Dragon Disciple?
    SK usually just warns you if it finds something it doesn't recognize, but as long as you don't mess with that particular thing, it won't screw up anything. As always, backup copies are your friend, whenever you go messing with savegames.

I don't know the exact differences between SK and EEK, as I am only using SK. Might be HLAs aren't in there because they are ToB only, whereas lvl9 spells are available without ToB. Dunno!
    Sweet, thanks!
    I think i will just edit my character file before the start of the game... hopefully that will alleviate any issues of savegame editing.
    Got it to work... for anyone who is interested in adding Use Any Item, check this thread here... you will need shadowkeeper, not EE Keeper. I just moved the character and portraits I created into my Baldurs Gate 2 installation directory, did the edit, and moved back:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/sk-question.24856/