Skip to content

Will this computer have issues?

Alrighty, so I finally caved and decided to by a new computer. I've had my current laptop for nearly seven years, and it started smoking a little yesterday morning. Still works but, I think it's time to let'em go. He's pretty tired.

So going to buy a new comp. but first want to make sure it will work with BGEE. I'm not very computer savvy these days aside from downloading, installing, typing and, clearing my History/cookies. ;-) I'm not rich, nor a hardcore gamer. Figured this comp. would be perfect for me IF it runs BG. So here it be.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Pavilion/H3Y91AA?HP-Pavilion-23-b030-All-in-One-Desktop-PC

I hope I'm allowed to post links, otherwise this whole post is pointless. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    From what I remember, most of the compatibility issues came from video cards. I'd make sure that the card included is OpenGL 2.0 compatible. I'm not sure where exactly you'd find that information, so you might have to do a bit of googling.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    TJ_Hooker said:

From what I remember, most of the compatibility issues came from video cards. I'd make sure that the card included is OpenGL 2.0 compatible. I'm not sure where exactly you'd find that information, so you might have to do a bit of googling.

Right. I know Intel chipsets ( my laptop uses 945 ) have problems. I've looked everywhere on this computer that I'm thinking about buying Monday, and have yet to see anything involving Intel. Whatever AMD is, that's what it has. Scrolling through the forums, I haven't seen anyone complain about it not working with AMD yet. Just wanted to make sure here.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure if the OpenGL problems were completely isolated to Intel chips (although I think they mostly were). I also remember seeing some threads about problems with NVidia (not sure if they were OpenGL-related or not), but they seem to have been worked out through subsequent patches. But yeah, off the top of my head, I can't remember any threads about AMD.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Alrighty. Thanks for the input. I'm going to go ahead and buy this comp. and see how things go. At least with this one, if I have issues, there's a good chance at getting it resolved versus old Smokey I have here.
    TJ_Hooker