Skip to content

What difficulty do -you- play on?

124»

Comments

• RazimirRazimir Member Posts: 7
    I think this depend.....

1.Using "core rules", but 1 hour of rolling to get best stats and minimax it.. reload to get max hp etc....

is really different from:

2. Playing "core rules" but just accept your first character roll (it discard rolls under 75 thou, but maybe this would be better to roll before picking class) and just accept hp you got on lvl up.

This are totally different difficulty settings. Going with minimaxed save/reload hp character is no more core rules.....

I tell you, i was minimaxer too.. but i realized what im doing after reading this:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/bgguide.htm - Chap 10.
    It told me more about my sefl than about game. Thanks to that.

Is that realy important to have OP character and be able to pwn game? Now when i relized it is moch more fun for me to have option 2.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Insane, always insane.

Call it 'fake hard' all you want, but when a random pack of dart throwing skeletons becomes a real threat I consider it a worthy challenge.

That being said, I DO start my games on Easy for the bonus HP, then adjust the difficulty from there XD
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2013
    Tyranus said:

Insane, always insane.

Call it 'fake hard' all you want, but when a random pack of dart throwing skeletons becomes a real threat I consider it a worthy challenge.

That being said, I DO start my games on Easy for the bonus HP, then adjust the difficulty from there XD

That is what im talking about. Getting bonus HP by starting on easy switching it before level up is no more insane...

Insane makes monstres to make 2x more dmg. But if you have 3x more hp than you would have if you just stick with hp roll on insane you get overal easier game. Difficulty is just about enemies damage compared to your hit points.

So playing on core rules can be harder than playing on insane with max hp....

But looks like most ppl just want to say, i play on insane im boss :)

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Core rules for me
    @Razimir Hey, SCS extra mods and 2X damage hurts to a fresh character. Plus, i'm the son of a God, I can rationalize having more than 6 hp.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Core except when leveling. Getting all that HP for sure.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    i wish health on level up were its own option rather then difficulty related though
    Max health on level up should have always been a default option. I would like to know how many hours I have spent re-rolling just hitpoints in this game over my life. I always mod it into my games now.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    On insane. Always.
    Tyranus said:

@Razimir Hey, SCS extra mods and 2X damage hurts to a fresh character. Plus, i'm the son of a God, I can rationalize having more than 6 hp.

Just what i said before....
    Wining game on core rules can be much harder then cheated "insane" with max hp. If you got 20hp and get hit for 10. It left you with 50%. But if you got 80hp and get hit by same hit on insane it take (2x 10) 20hp.
    So you will have 60hp - 75%.

So saying i need to cheat to be able to play on insane? That make no sense for me. I better play on dificulty that i challenging for me as it is. No matter if it is Easy, Normal or Hard....

@Razimir to each his own, i've played with plenty of characters without gaming the system for HPs before, I just prefer not dying as I run away from the packs of Dire Wolves they send at you right out of Candlekeep.

Insane is a different experience beyond just 2X damage. Especially if you also have SCS installed (which you should).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I play whatever it defaults to. I think it's normal, no?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited March 2013
    Normal is *way* to easy - max HP on level up, automatic scroll scribing no matter your intelligence, monsters do only 3/4 damage, I mean, come-on, are we mice or men/women? The game is not *that* hard.

I don't like going higher than Core though, since the AI effectively "cheats", though am dabbling with SCS at the moment, which can make the AI smarter without cheating

I also limit myself to 10 re-rolls on character creation for "easy" classes and a max of 20 rolls for "hard" ones (e.g. multi-class casters and Bards). I also try to avoid re-loading, where possible (though allow myself to resurrect non-chunked NPCs), if CHARNAME dies, I donate the appropriate amount of gold for his/her level to a temple to represent resurrection costs.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    I play on core rules with max HP on level up. I'm playing with SCS, Ascension and some Tactics components installed. Getting max HP won't save you against SCS mages, demons or alike. It's there to make sure you survive a stray skull trap or Abi. If you have 130 health or 150 health when Abazigal or Draconis attacks you won't matter in the least, you'll either die or be protected enough through buffs and potions to not go under 20%.

I also prefer to play No-reload games. It's quite addictive once you start out, and even if i try a normal game once i die the game kind of loses it's charm and i'll end up making a new character.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I actually put it on Core most of the time, but I skip to Normal for level-ups, so I figure I shouldn't claim it.

I like a challenge, but "take double damage" is a lazy difficulty modification IMO.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Core rules, every time. I mean, there's no fun in it if there's no challenge. I like that there's a risk of failure--scribing scrolls improperly, getting shitty rolls on level up, having party members get chunked-it makes things more interesting and forces you as the player to adapt to your circumstances. Though I do admit to turning down the difficulty once or twice throughout the years if I get into a particularly tough fight. If I get TPK'ed more than ten times in a row, then yeah I may get frustrated and turn the difficulty down a little. Doesn't happen too often though. Usually I'm too stubborn to do that anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KeidinKeidin Member Posts: 4
    I play on insane and i've got two seperate installation of the game. One with SCS2/tactics and one without.I use Bg2tweaks,fixpack and some more mods (new kits,item pack,weapon revisions etc). With the non-SCS version i try new npc mods,new quest mods whereas in the scs2 version i create custom parties in multiplayer games and try tactics with different party combinations.I know item pack and some tweak components are cheesy but so is some tactis-scs2 content.So... :P
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Too bad it doesn't have a Heart of Fury mode like Icewind Dale.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    While I play on Normal, I do desire the 100% enemy damage of Core Rules... I like everything else that Normal does...
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    insanse or core depends on what and why
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Core rules, with Max HP on level up. (Bg2tweaks) First time through, so trying for a (mostly) vanilla experience.