Skip to content

In multiplayer does everybody need to use the same mods?

Just wondering what happens if I install an ai mod or something (and I'm the host)... will the other players that connect to me get the benefit of that mod?

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    From what I understand, everyone needs to have the same mods installed in the same order or everything will break.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Yes. Installations need to be identical (same patches, same mods - preferably in the same order) in order for multiplayer to work.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    And you have to make identical choices, for each mod that offers choices.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Another reason they should strive to make more of the popular mod content into core content when time and the contract allows. Multiplayer will be awful to setup otherwise, even with a matchmaking system (since the matchmaking process would have to go through all your files and make sure they are identical).
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Why Can't it just host off the host's game and send just your character in? Eliminating the need for the same mods. Is this not possible?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    stygga said:

Why Can't it just host off the host's game and send just your character in? Eliminating the need for the same mods. Is this not possible?

No, far too risky.

Mods might have changed the characters (and/or their equipment) in ways which the host (and the other clients) can't understand or can't interpret correctly, which is likely to lead to crashes all round. Of course not all mods do this, but the point is that the host has no way of knowing whether or not someone else's mods have such effects, so the only halfway-safe way to proceed is for the host to require that every client must have identical installations of the game.

The quick-and-easy way to ensure mutual understanding between hosts and clients is to ban all mods from multi-player games, and some other games have done that in the past. However, BG is designed to be moddable, so presumably Overhaul intend to allow mods in multi-player as well, although that adds complications to the coding. As we can deduce from the fact that Overhaul haven't yet delivered on their original promises about multi-player (e.g. matchmaking), they're obviously still having difficulty making it all work correctly. It may end up being the case that Overhaul have to compromise and announce that only certain types of mod can be made compatible with multi-player.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    The other way to fix this is to allow mods to be installed into single-file containers (instead of being just a bunch of files in Override and Dialog.tlk). The proposal for that is over here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15937/single-file-mod-format-benefits-ipad-android-and-everyone-else