Skip to content

Priest of Helm a terrible kit?

There are a few kits that stand out as pretty obviously bad: Wizard Slayer and Beastmaster to name a couple. But I haven't heard anybody talk about the Priest of Helm kit. Is this simply because it's not worse than going kit-less? Because as it stands, it's pretty awful in comparison to the Talos and Lathander kits.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited March 2013
    The cleric kits are generally pretty potent if only because they have no disadvantages, so at worst you're no better than a cleric (and clerics are themselves pretty baller).

EDIT: Yes, I said "baller".
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Wizard slayer is pretty good as far as their benefits go. The problem comes in when they decide that they are too stuck up about magic to use 90% of the game.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    True Sight is among the best spells in the game for dealing with annoying Wizards, and Priests of Helm get that high-level spell for free. Getting extra high-level spell slots is very powerful.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    True Seeing at level 1 to counter (improved) invisibility and mirror image? Yes please.
    3 mainhand attacks/round with a +4 AB magic bastard sword for 1 minute at level 1? (Compared to 6 seconds/level for Boon of Lathander) yes please.

In my ultimate party to try to beat SCS no-reloads I've featured a cleric of helm to be dualed to thief at 5-7.
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Wowo said:

True Seeing at level 1 to counter (improved) invisibility and mirror image? Yes please.
    3 mainhand attacks/round with a +4 AB magic bastard sword for 1 minute at level 1? (Compared to 6 seconds/level for Boon of Lathander) yes please.

In my ultimate party to try to beat SCS no-reloads I've featured a cleric of helm to be dualed to thief at 5-7.

Well the True Sight I could care less about at level 1 since nobody you encounter will be using invisibility. By the time you DO encounter invisibility, spells like detect invisibility work just fine.

On the other hand, I didn't realize you got 3 mainhand attacks out of seeking sword. That's not bad. However, doesn't seeking sword count as a sword when a cleric is using it? (in other words, he wouldn't be proficient in it, so he gets a penalty that offsets the bonus). If that's the case, then seeking sword is still kinda weak since the bonus is only applied to hit, and not the damage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    @mforww - do you understand what the effects of true sight actually are?

When this spell is cast, an area roughly 70 feet in radius around the caster will be effected. Instantly and once each round for 1 turn after this spell is cast, all hostile illusion/phantasm spells in the area of effect will be dispelled. The spells that are affected by this are: Reflected Image, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Non-Detection, Improved Invisibility, Shadow Door, Mislead, Project Image, and Simulacrum. The area of effect is roughly a 70' radius around the caster. The target's magic resistance, if any, does not come into effect with this spell. This spell only affects enemies, thus it is unable to dispel the invisibility from a party member.

(from PlanetBaldursGate)

There are certainly enemies in BGEE that are using mirror image starting with Tarnesh at FAI.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    True sight also dispells a number of other illusion spells , not just invisibility, it is very powerful. The spells it affects are Reflected Image, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Non-Detection, Improved Invisibility, Shadow Door, Mislead, Project Image, and Simulacrum as far as I know.

And how can a kit be weak when it only has pros and no cons? There's not really anything to argue about here.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    mforww said:

Well the True Sight I could care less about at level 1 since nobody you encounter will be using invisibility. By the time you DO encounter invisibility, spells like detect invisibility work just fine.

On the other hand, I didn't realize you got 3 mainhand attacks out of seeking sword. That's not bad. However, doesn't seeking sword count as a sword when a cleric is using it? (in other words, he wouldn't be proficient in it, so he gets a penalty that offsets the bonus). If that's the case, then seeking sword is still kinda weak since the bonus is only applied to hit, and not the damage.

No, summoned weapons like that don't suffer any penalties. It's really powerful at level 1, but either it's either bugged since it lasts too long or the description is incorrect.

P.S. It's 'couldn't' care less.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    mforww said:

I assume that it works similarly to the spell Flame Blade, i.e. the sword does not carry any bonuses or penalties. Having a +4 sword at lvl1 is pretty good, doubly so with 3 APR. Of course, it becomes less and less relevant the higher you go in levels, but for BG1 it is a perfectly viable spell.

The only downside is of course that you cannot cast spells while the sword is active, nor unequip it before it expires. Then again, when your cleric starts swinging a sword, chances are you've given up on spells for now anyway.

True Sight is one of the best spells in the game, being useful from lvl 1 all the way to lvl 40. Not having to spend spell slots on it is VERY valuable as both versions (divine and arcane) are in a slot filled with other useful spells.

Not saying Priest of Helm is the BEST cleric kit, but it's far from "terrible".
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    True Sight is way better than detect invisibility. For one thing, it dispells ALL illusions, not just invisibility. That means Mirror Image, which is unaffected by Detect Invisibility, is dispelled by it. For another thing, it lasts several rounds. So if you use it, and it dispells something, and the mage recasts it, True Seeing will dispell it again!

A much better spell.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited March 2013
    True sight is absolutely the most vital spell in BG2 and it ain't even close. It is virtually impossible to finish the game without this spell, especially ToB.

/End thread

EDIT: I just figured breach is probably more important and ruby ray of reversal is also up there.
    EDIT 2: there are plenty of wands to cast breach though :)
    Post edited by IkMarc on
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The only problem I have with the cleric kits is that they don't really feel like kits.
    IkMarc said:

True sight is absolutely the most vital spell in BG2 and it ain't even close. It is virtually impossible to finish the game without this spell, especially ToB.

/End thread

Holy crap.

1) I'm dumb

2) I've actually beaten BG1, BG2, and TOB apparently not knowing exactly what True Sight did. I thought it was just for invisibility.

A part of me feels dumb for starting this thread now, but the other part of me feels awesome for beating everything the old-fashioned way haha.

Mirror Image? Pshh magic missile that. Simalcrum? Kill em both.

Anyway, sorry I started this thread being totally misinformed. At least while we're on the topic of things I'm just gonna put out there without knowing what I'm talking about:

Bounty Hunter kit. Again, my memory is really dicey here, but when you maze somebody you don't get XP for them because you're not actually killing them right? Wouldn't that make the bounty hunter kit kind of lame as it leeches XP, unless you're willing to be really gamey about it and wait for things you maze to escape so you can kill them? (essentially use the maze traps as CC for larger fights so you can take on guys one at a time)
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I'd add to all this that the idea of kits was never to make your character more powerful. They are a role playing aid that says something about your character's background. As first published they added fun abilities like Animal Husbandry, Hunting, or Blacksmithing.
    I'm not sure when exactly the idea became that they should all add awesome powers to any character. But I think the bottom line is, the game is completely playable, and winnable with any vanilla character class, any class combination, or any kit. That never means all are created equal, each brings a different set of challenges and different feel. But that's the fun of re-plays!
    edited March 2013
    mforww said:

Bounty Hunter kit. Again, my memory is really dicey here, but when you maze somebody you don't get XP for them because you're not actually killing them right? Wouldn't that make the bounty hunter kit kind of lame as it leeches XP, unless you're willing to be really gamey about it and wait for things you maze to escape so you can kill them? (essentially use the maze traps as CC for larger fights so you can take on guys one at a time)

Maze *is* CC. It doesn't last THAT long, most enemies will pop back out soon enough. But they will remain out of combat for a while, making the overall fight easier in most cases. You really shouldn't lose any XP from using Maze, unless you just run away quickly, never to return...

And I'm not sure what you mean by "being gamey about it". You cast Maze in the full knowledge that it is a temporary solution. It's not a game engine flaw that they pop back out, it's by design and fully intended. Otherwise it'd be, you know, Imprisonment.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    mforww said:

Anyway, sorry I started this thread being totally misinformed.

If you end a discussion better informed than when you started it, things are going well. :-)
    atcDave said:

I'd add to all this that the idea of kits was never to make your character more powerful. They are a role playing aid that says something about your character's background. As first published they added fun abilities like Animal Husbandry, Hunting, or Blacksmithing.
    I'm not sure when exactly the idea became that they should all add awesome powers to any character.

Book sales. People like being powerful. Most other editions of D&D have fallen into exactly the same trap: 1e had Unearthed Arcana, 3e had too many broken PrCs to list, 4e... actually 4e might be the only edition which didn't fall victim to rampant power inflation. Huh.

Anyway, yeah, people like being powerful. Too much of it ruins the game, but in the short-term it feels good to win, and that sells books.
    edited March 2013

mforww said:

Maze *is* CC. It doesn't last THAT long, most enemies will pop back out soon enough. But they will remain out of combat for a while, making the overall fight easier in most cases. You really shouldn't lose any XP from using Maze, unless you just run away quickly, never to return...

And I'm not sure what you mean by "being gamey about it". You cast Maze in the full knowledge that it is a temporary solution. It's not a game engine flaw that they pop back out, it's by design and fully intended. Otherwise it'd be, you know, Imprisonment.
    Well from a roleplay perspective, it feels gamey that any smart party would wait around for a dangerous enemy to un-maze itself and risk possible injury to kill it when they could simply venture onwards.

Also, and again correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't played a thief character since I beat BG2 about a decade ago, can't traps only be set when enemies aren't present? That in and of itself seems like you would have to be gamey about KNOWING when enemies will be present in order to use them (not unlike pre-buffing before a boss fight, which I find kind of cheap).
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    mforww said:

2) I've actually beaten BG1, BG2, and TOB apparently not knowing exactly what True Sight did. I thought it was just for invisibility.

A part of me feels dumb for starting this thread now, but the other part of me feels awesome for beating everything the old-fashioned way haha.

Mirror Image? Pshh magic missile that. Simalcrum? Kill em both.

Anyway, sorry I started this thread being totally misinformed. At least while we're on the topic of things I'm just gonna put out there without knowing what I'm talking about:

That's great, I myself have spent hours through a major part of the game running away from mages (especially liches) just waiting for their spell's duration to end until I figured out there were less time consuming ways of dealing with it ;)

No need to, the particular advantage of this cleric kit had actually never come to my mind and I might use it in the future for this reason.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @mforww: so scout ahead with stealth or invisibility. Then you know when you're about to meet an enemy, so you can step back and set a trap in his path.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @mforww

well a thief is designed to scout. i guess the idea is that you scout ahead invisibly, see the enemies, come back to the party set your traps then lure them back. or if NPCs are blue, non-hostiles and you know you're going to purposely piss them off, you set your traps around them and piss them off!
    mforww said:

Well from a roleplay perspective, it feels gamey that any smart party would wait around for a dangerous enemy to un-maze itself and risk possible injury to kill it when they could simply venture onwards.

Yeah sure, because that "dangerous enemy" would totally not be pissed off at being mazed by you and follow you later, maybe even try and ambush you when you don't expect it... Not to mention your version presupposes a party that wouldn't WANT to kill the guy, for his loot alone, if anything.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    mforww said:

mforww said:

Also, and again correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't played a thief character since I beat BG2 about a decade ago, can't traps only be set when enemies aren't present? That in and of itself seems like you would have to be gamey about KNOWING when enemies will be present in order to use them (not unlike pre-buffing before a boss fight, which I find kind of cheap).
    Except that really is exactly what the spell is for. It thins the opponents ranks, so you can take care of them in smaller groups. It is not meant to permanently eliminate anyone, you need a more powerful spell like Imprison for that. But it is powerful enough to take even a very powerful opponent out of the fight for a few rounds. Sort of like an uber-powerful Command spell.
    And it's say it's sort of the opposite of buffing or laying traps in advance, it's great for when you're not completely prepared, you can put the biggest threat on hold for a minute or so. And do it in a way only powerful mages can even think of.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    oh come on...

wizard slayer turns EVERY fight against powerfull spellcasters into click to win,he even disables special abilities like beholder's gaze and breath weapons all in a single round with whirlwind attack and from range with trowing axes the drawback is that he cannot use magic items(only gauntlets are of real importance),so he's slightly weaker than the plain fighter in mellee but liches,Mellisan,Irenicus,Kangaxx etc are all trivial with 1 WZ in party and the items he cannot use can be given too others(it's too tempting to give to the PC all the good stuff)

beastmaster has some summons which are not really good BUT he has not much of a drawback either, there are AWSOME wooden weapons in the game both BG1 and SoA and ToB and you will find great non-metal armor too,bows you can use anyway,so what's the problem?

likewise priest of helm has pretty medicore benefits but no drawback,so what;s the problem?

if the kit is equal with the vanilla class it's fine and vanilla cleric is solid(yes i know priest of Talos is better, lategame less so though)

honestly any class/kit does the job,some are a bit better than other ofc but the game is not hard in any way(unmodded)