Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round IV: Portraits For Uncommon Class/Race/Gender Combos (Winner Announced!)

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited May 2013 in Fan Creations
Round IV's theme is portraits for uncommon class/race/gender combos! The winner(s) of this round will receive one free copy of BG:EE as well as one free copy of BG2:EE when it is released. In addition, your artwork may be featured in The Candlekeep Library! For a recap of the rules, please see this announcement. You do not need to sign up to participate, but we'd love it if you did.

Note: Participation in prior rounds is not required to participate in this one.

Theme
At some point, most of us have wanted to play a PC with an unusual combination of traits. But finding suitable portraits for female dwarves or half-orc clerics can prove quite a challenge, and that's why this round's theme is uncommon class/race/gender combinations. For example, dwarven swashbucklers, gnomish wizard slayers, female gnomes/half-orcs/dwarves, or something else—it's up to you. Pick any such combo and draw a portrait for that character. If you choose to draw more than one portrait, each one will count as its own, separate submission.

Guidelines
Submissions must retain the style of the original Baldur's Gate portraits and the aspect ratios used in BG:EE. All three sizes should be accounted for (large = 210x330, medium = 169x266, small = 54x84), but higher-resolution portraits are welcome so long so they adhere to the in-game proportions. Please submit entries in BMP format.

Note that unlike the previous two rounds, photomanipulations will not be accepted.

Ending Time
This round will end at 12:00 A.M. CET on March 28th.

Ready? Set? Draw!
Post edited by Jalily on
AndreaColombosecretmantraTroodon80KidCarnivalSCARY_WIZARDSyntia13lolien

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The beauty of a rich flowing beard on a young lady is nothing to be ashamed of or be traumatised by!
    Syntia13
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited March 2013
    Oh crap. I'll just nip over there into that corner and have a shave...
    Syntia13
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Sign me up. I'll work on the picture this weekend.
    Syntia13
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited March 2013
    EDIT: removed entry - I missed the 'no photomanipulation' clause, and unintentionally broke the rules. Sorry!
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
    edited March 2013
    EDIT: removed entry - I missed the 'no photomanipulation' clause, and unintentionally broke the rules. Sorry!
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
    mlnevese
    @Syntia13
    I thought they said no photomanipulations.
    Now I'm confused. Are photomanipulations of outside photos okay? Is it okay to use bits of stock photos and stuff?
    Or when they say "no photomanipulations", do they just mean no photomanipulations of existing BG portraits?
    . -c . this is kind of important because if I can make shortcuts on mine instead of just painting the entire thing by hand I might want to. But I don't want to risk breaking the rules or anything.
    Syntia13
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    ...oh dang, I didn't notice the 'no photomanipulation' clause. :( I guess I'm out of this round then.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    No photomanipulations period. It was allowed in Rounds II and III solely due to the nature of those rounds: portraits of existing characters with one modified trait.
    AndreaColombo
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Just to clarify, are illegal race/class combos acceptable as entry? Just asking because some races have very few class options, so it would be hard to find something "untypical".
    @KidCarnival Yes, but legal ones are preferred.
    AndreaColomboTroodon80
    Wish I had known that before starting... Oh well.
    edited March 2013
    @Eleutheros

@Syntia13 Would you consider posting them in a new thread, so that we can all appreciate your work? : )

I stuffed them in my old portrait thread, here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/284316/#Comment_284316 :)
    Eleutheros
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @Memm

That one is very nice. I like the light, and the delicate line work in the hair.
    @KidCarnival

Your entry could also qualify as a Half-Orc Barbarian--some of them like flowers too. ;)
    KidCarnival
    Ya, I hereby change my entry to represent a female half-orc barbarian. That makes it a legal combination. ;)
    Hoping I can get my entry done in time ... only 3 more days ...

It's hard fitting in the time for painting when you have full-time work, a side freelance job, a full home life, and all of that BG gaming to do. ;)
    Yeah, I hope I can finish mine on time too. I'm only like 1/3 of the way done.

I'm painting a male half-orc swashbuckler.

Because I'm just so tired of only finding half-orc dudes in heavy armor, or in furs, like some kind of barbarian.

Sure, charisma's not what half-orcs are exactly known for, but I see no reason why a half-orc can't be a suave, charming rogue. . -c .
    Sophia[Deleted User]
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    a male chaoic good drow rogue, he worships eilistraee, weilds a sword and ninja blade
    @Syntia13

Nice job! The proportions on the face seem fine. Also, I like the wand and the outfit.

Some minor critiques if you're interested:

*The beard looks a bit too muted--seems to blend into the neck shadows. You might want to make it a little more obvious--perhaps have some strands trail up into the face a bit more.

*The hair could maybe use a wavy strand or two, just to loosen it up.
    Syntia13
    @LadyEibhilinRhett You can upload BMPs by clicking "Attach a file" below the comment box. Has to be a new comment, though.
    okay then. Thanks, @Jalily!

Here they are as BMPs then.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @LadyEibhilinRhett wow, very nice portrait! That half-orc sure does not have CHA as a dump-stat.
    @LadyEibhilinRhett

Like it. I dig his hair.
    Submissions are now closed.