Skip to content

Classic mode?

Hey, sorry if this is already in the game or just a silly request.

I'd really like to play this game in a sort of 'Classic Mode' .

Where game play is extremely close to the original game and expansion, with the updated HDness. So, you can only choose the original classes, stats and everything are changed to match the original and the new NPCs and quests are taken out.

I know I could just choose not to do the new quests in a play through, and choose one of the older classes, but I'd really love to play through the game with the story and game play elements BioWare had originally envisioned.

Maybe you'd choose it in menu where Black Pits is, or just before character creation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or would like to discuss it more?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think that would be incredibly tough to do with the enhanced game already since I bet most of that newer stuff is coded in, maybe some one out there can take the original game and somehow give it the enhanced edition look?
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    Or you know you could just buy vanilla and mod it yourself.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    It would actually be much easier to mod the BG:EE version to be like BG1, than modding the BG1 version to be like BG:EE.

But the problem with the idea of a classic mode is that there was alot of unintentional aspects of the original that the Bioware team never set out on. They had to cut corners and scrap alot of their plans midway.

It's quite easy to wipe out the kits from the character creation menu. Not to mention alter the NPC stats to their original state and you could even remove the new NPCs and areas from the game. Wouldn't be too hard for a modder to do so. But people usually look for additional content rather than subtractive content.
  • RhiyoRhiyo Member Posts: 6
    I know people usually look for additional content, but I'd love to just play with the game play aspects and restrictions BioWare had to develop around on the new Enhanced Edition look. I could buy the original game, but I feel the mods aren't as polished, and I've already paid 20 for the Enhanced Edition.

It's just an option I'd really want to have, and I thought it may be relatively easy to include.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013

Or you know you could just buy vanilla and mod it yourself.

@TaylorTwerk

I've five versions of BG currently installed in my laptop: BGEE, vanilla BG1, vanilla BG2, BG1Tutu and BGT and I still find the OP proposal a very good one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    I don't know, it seems like a lot of work for something that could be essentially be accomplished by just picking a vanilla class/race and avoiding Rasaad, Neera and Dorn.

Edit: and Baeloth
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Aspects that would need to be changed to give it a more "Vanilla" feel:

- No kits, sorcerer, or barbarian
    - Weapon Proficiencies use the category style
    - NPCs (both recruitable and non-recruitable) use their BG1 proficiencies
    - New NPCs (Neera, Dorn, Rasaad, and Baeloth) removed from play

The kits aren't so much an issue since the only character who uses them is the protagonist; Weapon Proficiencies can be swapped using existing mods--I believe @CamDawg's BG2Tweaks has a component specifically for changing the proficiency style.

Removing the new NPCs would require a script change that just makes it so they don't spawn, and altering the existing NPCs would require altering each .cre file.

So not a monumental amount of work, but probably a bit outside the scope of the core game (in order to allow switching to classic mode you'd need to keep duplicates of every creature file in the game, every item, every proficiency-related file, which would drastically increase the size of the game).
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    bg1 +bgtutu and done.