Skip to content

Feature Request: More options of Silver/Cold Iron Weapons ala Silver Staff of Aule

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
edited March 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Problem:
The greater wolfwere can only be hit with Silver/Cold Iron weapons. The Items that have this flags are all sharp weapons, leaving a cleric without options. I request that either a new weapon be added to the merchant in Ulgoth's beard or modify the existing weapon ala this mod: : http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16558/weidu-mod-silver-staff-of-aule-version-2#latest that adds cold iron and silver to Aule's staff.

The poll is mainly to show devs how much support this request has (or not). Cheers.
  1. Feature Request: Silver Staff of Aule15 votes
    1. Yes, I'd like this
      86.67%
    2. No don't incorporate this into the game
      13.33%
Post edited by smeagolheart on

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Is there actually a reason that Aule's Staff should be flagged as silver or cold iron? As in, actual lore reason as opposed game-balance reason?

I'm all for adding some cold iron and silver flags to other weapons, I'm just not sure if this is the right one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Bhaaldog You must Commit! :)

But okay, I'll add that if I make a future poll.

Is there actually a reason that Aule's Staff should be flagged as silver or cold iron? As in, actual lore reason as opposed game-balance reason?

I'm all for adding some cold iron and silver flags to other weapons, I'm just not sure if this is the right one.

I think it's for gameplay reasons. I guess this request should be then - assign cold/silver to more weapons
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    Plunk.

I agree with the principle that there should be alternatives for solo characters that can't use blade weapons. There are a few situations like that where the Greater Wolfwere is simply unpassable without cheating.

It can be objected that a solo priest can always use wands of the heavens or similar tools, but given the speed at which the beast strikes and regenerates health, I do think it is a demonstrable no-go (oh oh, a testable situation with a potentially crystal clear protocol, my analyst senses are tingling).

Now, one has to take into account the fact that not everyone is savvy enough to raid the inn in Ulgoth's Beard before they embark onto that adventure. I think the solutions should be placed on the island.

Idea: there's a quest about gathering belladone (which is supposed to protect against wolves and such), and those flowers are completely useless outside of that tiny bit of romantic-flavoured side-story. Why not incorporate them in some sort of recipe for a potion that can endow any weapon with anti-wolfwere properties for a few turns? I seem to recall there are 6 bunches of belladone that can be gathered, enough for six potions, enough for six characters (full party). It could give Dradeel a bit more purpose outside the fact that he requires his spellbook to get out of the island...
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013
    I don't see any reason why this should be included as default in BGEE.

It's ironic that I wrote the mod in question only because @Darkersun made a request in the Modding subforum instead of the Feature Requests one.

In his current form my mod can be easily installed in BGEE, BG1Tutu, BGT and vanilla BG1. Installation is trivial in Windows. Can be installed as easily on Mac using the WeiDU executable compiled by @Nifft

On iPad it would require jailbreaking, but, upon request, I'm willing to provide also an iPad only version, without the custom description, that would not require jailbreaking (to do that I just need someone with an iPad willing to perform few tests for me).

The reason why I've chosen this weapon is that it is sold in Ulgoth's Beard and his description says

"It appears to have a core of iron" that my mod changes in "It appears to be made of silver surrounding a core of cold iron".

However, I'm open to suggestions about other weapons.
    Post edited by Erg on
    edited March 2013
    smh.

I am surprised that a guy who thought it was a good idea to design a mod to overcome a perceived issue, doesn't think it's a good idea to incorporate said idea into the main game.

At any rate I updated the poll name to more accurately reflect the feature request :) not asking for his mod exact implementation, merely more options.

smh.

I am surprised that a guy who thought it was a good idea to design a mod to overcome a perceived issue, doesn't think it's a good idea to incorporate said idea into the main game.

At any rate I updated the poll name to more accurately reflect the feature request :) not asking for his mod exact implementation, merely more options.

My point is and always has been (as you can see by reading some of my older posts) that some things are best left to mods, because that gives you the freedom to choose exactly which changes are made to your game.

For instance, I could eventually add to the mod an installation menu that would allow you to choose from a list of weapons the ones to be enhanced by adding the silver/cold iron property. This level of customisation is unattainable through an official patch.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    While at it, would be nice if the items identified this status to the player. I'm not happy that the only way to know if a weapon is such is for somebody to open the code of the game - there should be some lore-based way to know how to deal with this.
    @Bhaaldog
    Bhaaldog said:

@Erg has a point, and it is his work. Perhaps a new weapon with those attributes would be a more desirable approach than modifying an existing one.

Just to be clear, I'm against this proposal in principle, for the same reasons I don't want Ascension or other mods to be included in the game by default (unless there is an option to disable them).

Other modders or Beamdog/Overhaul are free to reuse and/or edit my mods as they please.
    Bhaaldog said:

I cannot really comment until I face the EE of the Greater Werewolf. In the vanilla game they were not an issue for me...

It isn't an issue in BGEE either, unless you're playing with a solo cleric, in which case a silver staff would not help you anyway, unless your solo cleric is a fighter/cleric with 5 pips in staves (and some Potions of Fire Breath).
    If you make it to the greater wolfwere solo, then you are pretty far into the game. At least chapter 5 and having fought through werewolf island
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

I voted no based on this reasoning. However, I'm all for adding this characteristic to a weapon if there was a good lore based reason for it.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I had a lot of trouble with the GWW on my latest game, much more so than the last playthrough. I had to spam spells, wand of the heavens and get Shar-Teel make some tactical Werebane backstabs. Only just took the bastard down.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I had a lucky round where Skie did a critical hit backstab with the dagger and did 62 damage. Karoug just exploded.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    That would depend.
    Do weapons such as spiritual hammer or flaming blade work?
    edited March 2013
    Vherdel said:

That would depend.

@Vherdel

Against the Greater Wolfwere Karoug, magical weapons obtained through spells (e.g. Flaming Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Melf's Minute Meteors, etc.) do not work.

However, spells, potions and wands work. For instance he can be hurt by Magic Missiles, Skull Traps, Potions of Fire Breath, Wands of the Heavens, etc.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    Erg said:

Vherdel said:

That would depend.

@Vherdel

Against the Greater Wolfwere Karoug, magical weapons obtained through spells (e.g. Flaming Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Melf's Minute Meteors, etc.) do not work.

However, spells, potions and wands work. For instance he can be hurt by Magic Missiles, Skull Traps, Potions of Fire Breath, Wands of the Heavens, etc.
    So in that case, would'nt a cleric still be able to defeat such creatures by the use of wands/spells/potions?

Holy smite for instance would still work, along with a nicely charged wand of the heavens and a few potions of explosions/firebreath it should be possible ( if the damage keeps up with the regeneration at least ).
    edited March 2013
    Vherdel said:

So in that case, would'nt a cleric still be able to defeat such creatures by the use of wands/spells/potions?

Holy smite for instance would still work, along with a nicely charged wand of the heavens and a few potions of explosions/firebreath it should be possible ( if the damage keeps up with the regeneration at least ).

You must be able to do more than 30 HP of damage per round to kill him. This is possible in theory for a solo single class Cleric, but extremely difficult. I never tried myself and I don't know anyone that was able to do it.

A Potion of Fire Breath, for instance, can do from 6 to 60 HP of damage per round (with an average of 33), but he has 50% elemental resistance, so the actual damage would be from 3 to 30 (with an average of 16.5). Clearly not enough. The Wand of the Heavens does even less damage.

IMO your best bet would be laying several Glyphs or Warding and, if he doesn't save too much, finishing him with the Potion of Fire Breath.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Yes.