Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round IV: Portraits For Uncommon Class/Race/Gender Combos (Winner Announced!)

2»

Comments

• secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2013
    CRAP! I thought it was due by 12 noon tomorrow. I've been working on this thing all week. Sigh ...

@Jalily: Is there really no way for me to enter it still? I was planning on working on touch-ups tonight, but I could enter what I have so far. I guess it's not fair to the other folks who got their entries in on time, but I honestly thought the due time was for 12 noon tomorrow--didn't realize the closing time was for midnight in Budapest (!).
    Well, to hell with it. I'm going to post mine now anyway. I want to share with the community.

Here is my recent labor of love, a female Half-Orc Kensai. Photoshop painting.

The full-res version:

As well as a preview of a medium, cropped version:

And the small crop:

Cheers!
    IvanhoesmeagolheartKidCarnivalajwz
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @secretmantra: I like your entry, but also have some points of critique: 1) Looking at the full image, her hips are way too small and seem a bit anatomically incorrect. Might want to look at that. 2) I think she's still a bit too beautiful for being a half-orc. She also still looks a bit too 'human'. You can't really derive the 'orcish' part of her genes if you were to leave out the teeth. 3) More of a personal quirk of mine: I don't really like women's busts being shown all into the open on fantasy portraits. It's not only because of sexualization of female portraits that I think that, it's also because I always get the impression how vulnerable it makes the character look. Just my opinion, though.
    All in all very nice! :)
    secretmantraSophia
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Thank you for your kind comments and critiques!

In reference to the hips: I often have trouble with those, so I appreciate you pointing that out.

In regards to her being too beautiful: Thank you! I personally wanted to explore the idea of a pretty half-orc, so it's very purposeful. I can understand it wouldn't be everyone's taste.

In regards to the "lack" of attire: I understand. I think it adds to the overall effect of her sensuality, but I can certainly appreciate that not everyone out there is going to want this look, especially for a warrior type. In my defense, she is a kensai--the one fighter subclass that is prohibited from wearing any armor. Might as well go for it! ;)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @secretmantra: I'm glad you took my advice to heart and didn't get offended by it. I tried not to sound harsh, but felt like pointing it out anyway. My biggest problem is drawing good hands and feet on characters. Especially hands are SO hard to get right! I don't mind your character being beautiful, as I'm certain not every half-orc needs to be an abomination. It was the human part that bothered me a bit. As for the attire, as I said, just a personal quirk. Whenever I see such a 'bare' bust on fantasy characters, I get the feeling they're practically shouting to get a dagger planted in them, to put it bluntly. It's a very vulnerable area, especially for women. One hit to the lungs and your Kensai is no more, so to speak. :/
    secretmantra
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    secretmantraevildevil97
  • IvanhoeIvanhoe Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 510
    @secretmantra Cute. With a sketch of horns, she would embody a little of spirit Oni. :)
    Personally, I would have preferred a close-up of the face (with a few more details), in the typical style of BG2. But compliments!
    CrevsDaaksecretmantra
    Ivanhoe said:

@secretmantra Cute. With a sketch of horns, she would embody a little of spirit Oni. :)
    Personally, I would have preferred a close-up of the face (with a few more details), in the typical style of BG2. But compliments!

Yeah, you know, in hindsight I think I would prefer to have the frame more of a close-up. That would work better with the game interface. I'm still learning!

I think I will go for a more close-up look for any further ones I might make.

As a follow-up comment, I wish the contest would have lasted longer. I would have liked to make a few more characters, maybe a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist type, and a Halfling Assassin. Also, we need more portraits for Jesters, Skalds, and Blades. But I digress.
    KidCarnivalIvanhoe
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I have a barely colored (bearded) dwarf or gnome cleric lady here, but there was no way I could finish it in time. Also had plans for a half-orc shadowdancer. Absolutely agreeing that a longer duration would have been great, considering that this round was original drawings only. Those take more time than photo manipulations, so the round should have allowed a bit more time. I would have loved to see more entries for this theme.
    secretmantraKozaroRadhamanthys
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    @secretmantra holy-wow! She looks fantastic :D I dunno what it is, but I really love her nose for some reason. I kind of wish her face was a bit sharper, it looks almost a bit blurred to me, but that's just a tiny nitpick ;) Well done for sure! Do you have a website or a deviantart account or somesuch?
    secretmantra
    edited March 2013
    @Sylph

Thanks!

I'm trying out some new things, and I like this kind of illustration. I want to do more portrait art like this.

I do have a deviantart account. Unfortunately I haven't posted anything there in ages--except for the above graphic--but here goes anyway:
    http://secretmantra.deviantart.com/gallery/

I also have a portfolio site that has a few more things (you might find the painting and 3D sections interesting):
    http://www.benjaminreece.com

Cheers!

Edit: In regards to her being a bit blurry. I wanted to do more clean-up on the painting, but unfortunately, there wasn't enough time. However, part of the thing I liked about this contest was that it forced me to complete something without it dragging on for too long while I over-fuss it (my usual habit). I want to do some more like this, where I have a defined amount of time that I have to stick with, and force myself to just get 'em done.
    Sylph
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The winner of Round IV of Candlekeep's Grand Fanart Contest is...
    @Memm, for an exquisite portrait of a lady dwarf! You should receive your code within 24 hours.

There were few entries this time, so only one prize was given. Due to the feedback we've gotten, Round V, which is starting now, will last four weeks instead of two. Check it out!
    @KidCarnival @Memm @Syntia13 @LadyEibhilinRhett @secretmantra
    secretmantraAHFlolien
    Grats, @Memm, you deserve it! Great job!
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Well deserved for @Memm!

Good work by everyone, though. I don't cease to be impressed with the creativity of artists like @KidCarnival @Syntia13 @LadyEibhilinRhett @secretmantra, etc.
  • MemmMemm Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2013
    Thank you all.
    Post edited by Memm on
    lolien