Skip to content

Wyvern trouble!

Did Wyverns in Cloakwood get a boost or what? I have played in BG1, TuTu and BGT and never remember them being so tough. It's like they are on steroids, they hit so fast and so easily and so hard, even without their poison they kill anyone fast. Jaheira and Khalid, equipped with full plate mails, shields+1 and ring of the princes get torn apart rapidly. And Coran misses to hit them with his bow occasionaly, so they have good AC as well. They resist blindness and even a super powerful wand of paralysation too! Threw a fireball and they all saved and took only 'barely injured' before they killed my tanks with glee. What happened?

I can try to kill them with my Shadowdancer by using HiPS but even with +4 to hit bonus from backstab, my guy can't hit them reliably, their AC is good. And if he fails a single hide in shadows roll they can eat him alive fast! (And I would miss him terribly! :p)

The wyvern cave in Cloakwood is particularly difficult, it is a very narrow area and wyverns can just one hit KO my mage. (who had a meager 20 hit points, all gone in one hit!)

Do you have any ideas to help? I don't have monster summoning wand/spells. Also, do wyvern claws do crushing or piercing damage? From the 'thunk' sound when they connect with Jaheira's full plate I think they use crushing so a potion of absorbtion and girdle of bluntness can help? It is not poison that is trouble, I have tons of antidotes. They just right out rip my characters apart with brute strength. :'(

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2013
    Do you have a mage that can cast Blindness? Blindness (mage) and Doom (Jaheira) will make them more vulnerable to attacks. Glitterdust's blindness penalties stack with Blindness, so I would cast that too if you can. Also, when blinded enemies won't chase after your party members if there's enough distance between them.

I would consider trying also Entangle (maybe add Grease, if you have a scroll of it) and then whittle down their HP with ranged weapons.
    EudaemoniumlunarKidCarnival
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    Ranged attacks should be quite effective against them, and they only have 63 health each (The one in Tosc got 93). I would think that their attacks are either crushing or piercing. Also fireball has a save for less damage, magic missile doesn't have this.

Your best bet would be to load up your mage(s) with magic missile, have only one tank at the front (Full plate, ring of protection, shield and try a different belt and see if you notice any difference). Have the rest of your team try to hit with ranged attacks.

Other good spells to try :

Melf's acid arrow (Can't save against it)
    Vampiric touch.

I'm not sure but cloudkill might kill them instantly. Umberhulks and other unsavory things don't have enough HD and just fall over and die. Cloudkill is a level 5 spell, you can get the scroll from the mage under gullykin. Just make sure you don't have any of your own members go into it. If it does kill them it's worth it, otherwise it's really too much trouble for the little damage it does.

[Edited] : If you got a mage, then polymorph yourself into a mustard jelly. You'll have :

30% slashing
    60% crushing
    100% piercing
    105% missile

Reduction, you'll also be immune to poison.

So if you want to be sure to survive then do this :

1.) Give your ring of protection to your mage
    2.) Use Blur, mirror image, stoneskin, ghost armor and fire shield blue/red.
    3.) Give your mage one of the belts
    4.) Send her/him in
    5.) ??
    6.) Profit

Those spells are all available in normal vanilla, with the exception of stoneskin and the fireshields, i don't know if those get put in by BGEE or just left alone.

It's perhaps not what you would consider normally, but sometimes it's worth trying new things.

You can easily get as much,if note more armor on your mage than your melee have in full plate.
    lunar
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You can also get a Cloudkill scroll in a secret stash on a map south of Nashkel (I forget which). Of course you'd need to be a lvl9 mage to cast it from memorisation, but you can use the scroll.
    [Deleted User]lunar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Doom spell is heavily nerfed. It has a 1 round casting time, instead of a quick 1, so it is not practical. I tried casting blindness but they all saved everytime. I thought they may be immune to grease and web, being flying creatures, so I never tried them. Even if they are not immune, IIRC grease has +3 to save and thus highly ineffective against tough enemies. Web is wonderful with -2 to save, hmm..

My mage is lvl 6. Has fireball, dispel magic, dire charm for 3rd lvl spells. Second level:mirror image, invisibility, web and nearly all major lvl 1 spells. No glitterdust, sadly. (botched the scroll) Imoen is dualled to mage with lvl 5, she has Aganazar's Scorcher (I lined up the wyverns and this spell did good damage, however it was not enough and wyverns killed Jaheira and Khalid) Strength (I buff Khalid with this and he has Varscona+2) and a single skull trap spell. Incidentally, my mage is a wild mage and I can try casting Cloudkill with NRD, I need to get the scroll first, though. I have no lvl 4 spells. I have wands of fire and paralysation, but those wyverns saved vs them too!

It was smooth sailing up here, with only one or two reload. But when I had to reload nearly 7 times in a row against Wywerns I was mighty annoyed and gave up for that time. I'll try again tonight.
    lunar
    Bhaaldog said:

@lunar very strange your playing a similar party to the one I am using in the minimal reload thread and Wyverns have not been an issue. Hit them with lots of magic missiles...

I don't know, Khalid and Jaheira have something like 30-40 HPs and they get killed quick, each wyvern hit does 10+ damage plus horrible poison chance, and since my tanks can only take 3-4 hits at most, that seems to be my problem. And then Khalid loses morale and aaagh the end. :p

Thanks for the tips, I will! I will let them chase Khalid around and my mages will pelt them with magic missiles, and toss darts of acid in between castings. Coran will do the archery. I will not let Khalid enter melee with them. I'll show them kiting at its best! Hmm maybe Jaheira can add some Call lightning action if I can lure the bunch out of the wyvern cave.

I wish I had a Slow spell. Would be a lot more useful than Fireball now. IIRC one mage had it in Cloakwood mines? Or did that Lendarn guy in Firewine have it?

Do wild bears/wolves spawn in that map frequently? I can charm a bunch with Jaheira's spells and Druid ring and let them do the tanking vs wyverns. Now that I think about it, some bears are very powerful meleers indeed.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    You can lure them out of the cave piecemeal. I did it the other day. I sent in Coran, acting as my thief. He made sure to get noticed, and then ran back out. Only one large and one baby wyvern followed him out. This was easier for the archers and my fighter to get rid of them with concentrated fire. I repeated this with Coran to get another wyvern and baby to follow him out. Prior to this I had had to reload once.

Also, unless you have a recent fix, I think you have to kill the wyverns from the left side or the game will crash. There is a divide by zero problem when you kill them from the right side.
    lunar
    a.png 1.7M
    b.png 1000.6K
    c.png 1.1M
    lunar
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I usually just send down one character (either an invisible mage or a stealthed thief) and have them do a single attack (wand of fireball, backstab, etc.) and then run like crazy out of the cave. The rest of my party is waiting and then starts fire ranged weapons and spells. With two mages, you should be able to nail them with two fireballs if you time it correctly and then cleaning them up with your fighters and magic missiles works quite well.

If you have that thief, placing traps near the front of the cave will also help (when this is an option I do this not right at the entrance but a little ways back so that the wyverns have to chase a bit before they trigger the trap because if you do it right at the entrance it will only hit the first one to emerge).

If you have a cleric, summoning skeletals warriors helps even more because when your mage or thief comes screaming out of the cave he/she can run right by the skeletons and the wyverns will pause there to take them out (long enough that you can hit them with that fireball, etc.).
    lunar

Success! I lured them out, did kiting, fireballed+skulltrapped the lot, let the tanks do the tanking (Jaheira was poisoned once) Shadowdancer did some HiPS and backstab attempts, Coran shot arrows while my mage&Immy casted magic missiles+blindness on monsters, strength on Jaheira&Khalid. A new group of wyverns and babies joined the fight as my party retreated to west but we killed them all. Babies are easy, adult ones hit so hard and when your tanks have 30ish hps it hurts.

I don't have access to any summon. Jaheira can't cast lvl 4spells yet (so no Call Woodland beings) so I guess that made things difficult when my tanks were unluckily overwhelmed.
    [Deleted User]
    edited March 2013
    @Bhaaldog I use Archaic GUI old version, minus inventory screens since they are incompatible with the newest patch. Also its bigger fonts component the original fonts come too tiny to me. I also play on ipad so that's the low resolution. Spellcasting graphic glows look bad on ipad, too pixeled, so I got IWD casting glows from BG2 tweaks mod. Looks better IMHO. Finally I also have enhanced BAMs mod, which change BG1 item graphics into BG2 ones, just the reverse of what 1pp does, for I like the detailed-intricate look of BG2 armors and weapons. Heh, I've done some customising ^^

Yeah I am at low levelish, I think. Should have done some basilisk hunting, maybe. The fact that Khalid&Jaheira got low hp rolls on level up doesn't help either. (And I did not bother to load) Maybe I can replace them later.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Glad you got the win! (Well, of course you would eventually, it was just a matter of how.)

I'm a bit surprised that they saved against Blindness so often!
    lunar