Skip to content

Importing Dwarven Defender into Baldurs Gate II Vanilla

I read that it's possible to import characters from EE to normal BG2... however I've rolled a dwarvern defender and I believe this class may not be present in BG2. Any ideas what will happen if i try to import this one over?

Comments

• Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    There's a good possibility that he/she won't even show up in the character file to import.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd keep whatever kit bonuses you've alreay gained, but the game would treat you as a vanilla fighter and that's how you'd progress from there on. That's just speculation however. Not sure what would happen if you tried to activate defensive stance. Overall, I wouldn't recommend trying to import anything that doesn't already exist in BG2. But there's only one way to know for sure.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Quartz
    Honestly, it shouldn't even hurt to try it. What's the worst that could happen? You break BG2? Oh well, it's free to download anyways these days.
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013

Honestly, it shouldn't even hurt to try it. What's the worst that could happen? You break BG2? Oh well, it's free to download anyways these days.

I don't think there's any way it could break the actual game install. I think worst case scenario is that the game crashes whenever you load/start a game that contains resources (kits/items/abilities, etc.) not found in BG2.

What would really suck is if you imported, and everything worked fine in the beginning, but suddenly bugs out and breaks your game like half way through the game. Not sure if that would ever happen, but man that'd be frustrating.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Quartz
    That would be frustrating, but you could just think you're beta, beta testing the class.
  • mchairmastermchairmaster Member Posts: 4
    Haha yeah I'll try it of course - I'm just thinking ahead and haven't got to the importing stage yet.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    There is a mod that adds Dwarven Defender right? Install the mod and try importing or shadowkeep a character with the exact same stats.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    If there is a mod that adds DD then I'd suggest to just shadowkeeper a dwarven defender with the BG2 mod kit to have exact same stats as your BG1 character to avoid any compatibility issues.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    IkMarc said:

There is a mod that adds Dwarven Defender right? Install the mod and try importing or shadowkeep a character with the exact same stats.

Do you have a link to this mod?

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...or just wait for BG2EE to be released ;-)
  • KrypplingzKrypplingz Member Posts: 11
    Tested it with the new monk kit, Dark Moon Monk and the game crashed when I attempted to import her.
    Assuming the same thing applies to the dwarven defender.
    (Also tried importing a gnome mage/cleric and the game didn't crash so it was probably the monk kit that caused it.)