Skip to content

Abjurer - suggestions and tactics

Hello forum!

I've been playing with a chaotic good abjurer , mostly for roleplaying reasons (although wizards are always powerful no matter what) .

I intend to play the whole trilogy with him, however, no alteration spells (stoneskin, specially) opens space for different tactics.

The rule I'm following is
1- No resting until finishing a dungeon.
2- At least one abjuration spell per spell level.

I would love to hear your suggestions!

Comments

• bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    lack of stoneskin is a terrible drawback,you'll have to constantly rely on either mantle or protection from magical weapons and illusions to avoid getting hit,the problem is that they have a very short duration so they must be cast within battle thus wasting rounds for it,also without stoneskin you might have occasional deaths from backstabs.

the rest are whatever any mage would do,staff of the magi abuse,contigencies,time stops and alacrities,dispelling enemy mages,summons etc.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    You will also be missing Haste, that being an alteration spell ...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

You will also be missing Haste, that being an alteration spell ...

Imoen or another mage can take care of that!
    Returnlander

lack of stoneskin is a terrible drawback,you'll have to constantly rely on either mantle or protection from magical weapons and illusions to avoid getting hit,the problem is that they have a very short duration so they must be cast within battle thus wasting rounds for it,also without stoneskin you might have occasional deaths from backstabs.

Or just stay away from close combat, no? Consider that I won't be getting 6 level spells or greater any soon...

ljbo
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2013
    Biggest losses are stoneskin and timestop. Oh, and melf's minute meteors, that's a very powerful spell lost.

Sadly, there are not many useful abjuration spells for bg1, protection from petrification is nice in basilisk map, resist fear is good but bards/clerics can do it cheaper.

Level 3 spells are good. Protection from fire and cold are nice, you would want to get them ASAP so you can protect a tank and blast away with wands of fire/potions of explosions. You can use minor spell deflection to good use against sirines and the like. Dispel/remove magic is a must to have. Minor globe of inv. is actually very useful in bg1. And lastly, breach is THE spell to have in BG2, not quite so in bg1.

If you want to protect other party members and support your fighters, improved invisibility is very nice. It gives +4 ac, +4 to all saves, +4 to hit, and untargettable by enemy spells! That is the best protection you can confer to someone else. Spirit armour is potent too, ac 1 helps thieves, bards, druids etc. Save vs spells+3 is life saver. With improved invisiblity+spirit armour the recipient will net +7 to save vs spells, that's big!
    DJKajuru
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Breach isn't available in BG1 even though I wish it was playing SCS!
    DJKajuru
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Is this a solo run? Or will you have a party? It would be really tough solo.
    Lemernis said:

Is this a solo run? Or will you have a party? It would be really tough solo.

I'm doing it with a party - khalid , jaheira, viconia, kivan and Imoen(dualed) .

• Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2013
    If you stay in the back like a good Mage should, you'll be perfectly fine.

Personally, I find Stoneskin useless in a party. Throw up Mirror Image, stay back and just cast your spells.

For forth level spells, if your backline is getting harassed, use Teleport Field and call it a day.

Edit: You can't even use that. Well that's just great man. You're in some real crap now! Game over man, game over!
    DJKajuruMortianna
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DJKajuru
    Bhaaldog said:

DJKajuru said:

No resting until finishing a dungeon.

But you will miss all the fun of being ambushed by enemies while being asleep...
    Hahaha, I meant that I would use all my resources, instead of the casting high level spell+resting exploit.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Wands should come in handy.
    DJKajuruSCARY_WIZARD
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    You should have nothing to worry about if you stay to the rear and cast spells.
    DJKajuruSCARY_WIZARD
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    inb4 the inevitable "why would you use anything other than Conjurer or Sorceror?!" comment

(it's called role-playing)
    DJKajuruMortianna