Skip to content

Best Party for a Newbie

Considering I am a Chaotic Good/Neutral character, which characters would be great to have in my party? I like the sound of Minsc, who seems entertaining, as well as Jaheira and Khalid. Any others you would recommend for a starting player of this alignment?

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Well Minsc goes with Dynaheir meaning you have pretty much everything bar a thief and you get Imoen right off the bat so that solves that (and that is the canon party too).
  • texasmatttexasmatt Member Posts: 35
    xzan is a good mage to get you can find him in the mines.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It somewhat depends upon what class you're playing, @SirHables. Especially when you're a newbie, it's quite important to have a party with a good balance of skills - there ways to succeed with an unbalanced party, but I don't recommend trying that until you've had some practice.

For example, the canonical party (Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir) is ideal for your alignment and is well-balanced if your own character is a Cleric (or multi-classed part-Cleric), but you might find it rather short of healing-power and buffing-power if your own character doesn't contribute Cleric skills.

So tell us what class you are, and we might be able to advise in more detail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ah, I've just seen (in another thread) that you're playing a Fighter/Cleric, @SirHables.

So in that case, yes, the canonical party should work very well for you. I recommend going with that party for a first attempt, to learn how the game works, then you can try out other combinations when you replay afterwards.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Your class would help indeed.

If you plan on having Khalid and Minsc, you'll also have Jaheira and Dynaheir as these NPCs are paired (you can break them up if you only want one of the couple though). Having 2 pairs doesn't give you that many options to alter your party.

Branwen as neutral pure cleric would also be a good choice for a beginner party. She's available early and has pretty good stats. If you don't have a cleric as charname, she'll be more useful to you than Jaheira (cleric low level spells are more useful than druid low level spells, imo).

Kivan is a non-paired alternative to Minsc (another ranger) - the last patch claims to have given him a ridicolously short quest timer (in my opinion, it's impossible for new players and difficult to highly incovenient for "veterans" to do his quest in the given time), but so far, I have not seen a single report of him leaving the party. I guess it's a use-at-your-own-risk case, or simply wait with recruiting him until

you killed Tranzig in Beregost and plan to go to Bandit Camp next anyway.

For a fighter/frontliner, you should also consider Ajantis (paladin).

Disclaimer: I barely ever play good aligned parties, but here's a recommendation anyway:

Ajantis - Branwen - Imoen - Minsc - Dynaheir

or

Ajantis - Branwen - Imoen - Kivan - Neera

That covers all basics and you're free to play whatever class you want.