Skip to content

Bug: Yeslick still loopy

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
edited February 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Observed behaviour: when dropped from the party, Yeslick leaves normally and says a farewell to the PC, and the party can leave the area without further interaction. HOWEVER on returning to the area where Yeslick is waiting, Yeslick then approaches the party and initiates dialogue asking to rejoin, AND if declined Yeslick keeps on following and asking every couple of seconds until the party again leaves that area.

Expected behaviour: after dismissal, Yeslick should say farewell and then wait passively in place forever (like most other NPCs) unless dialogue is initiated again by the party - he should not approach and harass the party with looping requests to rejoin whenever the party re-enters the area where he is waiting.

History: this was a bug in original BG1 even with Baldurdash and Dudleyfix, and still not fixed in BG:EE. However, in the original, the looping would start immediately upon dismissal, but now the loop waits until the party returns to the same location.

Workaround: if you dismiss Yeslick in a building which you'll never need to enter again (or in a room where you can close the door as you leave), then he won't have the chance to go into his loop next time you pass nearby.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• gatsubedgatsubed Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    i've got problems with yeaslick in the cloacwood mines, he doesn't stop to chatter and interrupts his and mine and everybody actions in doing so
    I've scrolled trough internet and it is a old bug, could you work on it? if i can, i would not take an older save, thanks
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
    and would you like to make the quotes able to correct by the users? my english sucks so i can correct my spelling mostruosities
    to be corrected pardon
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    This seems to be fixed to me (int beta), if you have not patched up to 2011, do it. If you did, then maybe next patch will fix it for you. There is one fix that definitely isn't in the release version is when you didn't flood the mine.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Avenger_teambg: thanks for prompt response. Yes, I'm on the latest patch and this bug has just happened to me last night. I haven't flooded the mine yet (I'm still exploring it), but I recruited Yeslick when I found him and then dropped him back at the FAI, and next time I went back there to sell loot was when Yeslick went into his loop.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, probably this is the flood loop i fixed.
    Going to the mine and back might take enough time for him to lose patience.
    When he loses patience, he doesn't leave, but go into this loop.
    So that'll be sorted in the next patch, then? Thanks, @Avenger_teambg.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I'm glad this bug will be fixed in the next patch.

If you are interested in a workaround, while waiting for the patch, just let Yeslick temporarily join. After his speech, in which he complains about the delay in flooding the mine, he can be safely dismissed.
    Hi @Avenger_teambg. Playing through again, I can see that the Update 6 patch has changed the behaviour, so thanks for that, but unfortunately it's still not right.

Observed behaviour: when recruited and then dismissed from the party (before the mine is flooded), Yeslick initially waits where he's put (in my case, that's in the main room of the FAI). However, on returning to the FAI (still before the mine is flooded, to sell loot), Yeslick runs over to the party and goes into a loop (the soundtrack repeatedly saying "You need something?") BUT (this is the change introduced by the patch) without initiating a conversation in the text window AND making it difficult for the party to access containers in the room (because the container closes itself every time Yeslick speaks) AND (more seriously) if you try to speak to Yeslick he has nothing to say so you can't re-recruit him.

Expected behaviour: after dismissal, Yeslick should say farewell and then wait passively in place forever (like most other NPCs) unless dialogue is initiated again by the party - he should not approach and harass the party with looping speech whenever the party re-enters the area where he is waiting, and if the party chooses to speak to him then a dialogue should open with an option to re-recruit him.

Commentary: it's a little less annoying than before provided that you don't want to re-recruit Yeslick, However, for those who do want Yeslick back at that stage, this is now a worse bug than before!

Workaround: as before, you can avoid the looping behaviour by dropping Yeslick in a room which you can close behind you or which you don't need to visit again. (But that's no use if you want to recruit him again before flooding the mine.)
    Hi @Erg.
    Erg said:

If you are interested in a workaround, while waiting for the patch, just let Yeslick temporarily join. After his speech, in which he complains about the delay in flooding the mine, he can be safely dismissed.

Interesting. I've never had that complaint speech from Yeslick.

Perhaps this is because I didn't keep him long enough. In original BG1, I did recruit Yeslick as a long-term member a time or two, and he can be a pretty useful character, but in BG:EE so far I haven't run a party where he'd be a suitable choice. Therefore I've simply rescued him and immediately gone back to the FAI and dropped him off (then rejoined the party member whom I temporarily dropped to make space for Yeslick).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013

Hi @Erg.

Erg said:

Interesting. I've never had that complaint speech from Yeslick.

Perhaps this is because I didn't keep him long enough. In original BG1, I did recruit Yeslick as a long-term member a time or two, and he can be a pretty useful character, but in BG:EE so far I haven't run a party where he'd be a suitable choice. Therefore I've simply rescued him and immediately gone back to the FAI and dropped him off (then rejoined the party member whom I temporarily dropped to make space for Yeslick).
    This was before the patch, so I don't know if the behaviour is now changed.

What I did at the time was moving him just outside the mines, because otherwise you can no longer reach him after flooding the mine.

I dropped him from my party and went back to Beregost to restock.

When I went back to flood the mine, his loop started. So, I let him join, I got, immediately after joining, the speech about being late with the flooding, then I dropped him again and the loop was gone.
    Update: after flooding the mine, Yeslick stops looping ... but he still won't speak to you, so he can't ever be re-recruited. That makes this a more serious bug than I'd first realised.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Gallowglass
    Patch 2012 was meant to fix the loop. However, I read that now you experienced another issue - Yeslick does not speak at all. Can you double check, please? If it is confirmed, I will ask to investigate further :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.